UFC 184: Rousey vs Zingano

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's true that her heart couldn't handle losing 10lbs off her frame, and not just her chucking shit out there to hide the fact that she's a steroid abuser, then there are very serious problems. Presumably problems that have arisen because she's a juiced up mess.

If that's the case, I don't think Ronda or the UFC should accommodate her and give her that payday anyway.

It's a case of make the weight and get a shot, or pipe down. You can't hold the moral high ground because of health issues and stoke the flames of 'Rondas ducking me', if the reason you can't drop weight is because you've spent your adult life with a needle hanging out of your arse.

If it's true that her heart couldn't handle losing 10lbs off her frame, and not just her chucking shit out there to hide the fact that she's a steroid abuser, then there are very serious problems. Presumably problems that have arisen because she's a juiced up mess.

If that's the case, I don't think Ronda or the UFC should accommodate her and give her that payday anyway.

It's a case of make the weight and get a shot, or pipe down. You can't hold the moral high ground because of health issues and stoke the flames of 'Rondas ducking me', if the reason you can't drop weight is because you've spent your adult life with a needle hanging out of your arse.

I think it's probably more a case of someone having limits as to the amount of weight they can cut in a healthy fashion. She reportedly walks around at 160lbs when she isn't fighting, so her competing at 145lbs sounds about right, doesn't it? And I know we don't like to differentiate between them, but female fighters face different health ramifications to cutting weight than men do, especially if they plan on having children at some point.

You're talking as if her losing 10lbs is nothing, when you surely have to realise that she already cuts a fair bit of weight to reach the 145lbs limit? 

And of course she's going to continue to mention it, she wants to fight in the UFC where the money is, either by way of a 145lbs division so she can actually get on UFC television, or by way of a "superfight".

She probably knows that Ronda can only get so much interest from hammering the 135lbs girls and sooner or later she'll have to entertain the idea of a catch-weight superfight, so she'll continue talking. It would be stupid not to I think, as she has nothing to lose.

I never feel that Cyborg is being cast out because the UFC feels she'd beat Rousey. It's always more that the UFC want Cyborg to fight Rousey in Rousey's weight class and Cyborg simply can't get there, it's that simple in my opinion.

The UFC really have confused me in two ways when it comes to the female side of their business. The first was why they didn't go for a 140lbs middle ground when they first brought women into the company, and the second is why when they were looking for a second women's division they didn't go for 145lbs rather than 115lbs?

Why go for a division that has practically zero interest from the fans rather than have two female divisions with the two best female fighters in the game heading them both? 

So yeah, I do actually think that it's been a concerted effort to keep Cyborg off UFC television. It could be because of the way she looks and how she tends to finish fights. Maybe the high end sponsors and broadcasters aren't keen on having scenes like we saw at the end of the fight between Tweet and Cyborg at the weekend. Rousey submits girls and has a few stoppages, but Cyborg tends to smash her opponents, making for uncomfortable viewing a lot of the time.

Seeing a female punched clean in the face, smashing the back off her head of the canvas an being elbowed in the face with blood squirting onto the canvas is maybe something that mainstream TV isn't quite ready for.

In that last paragraph you've just described the last Cat Zingano fight though.

Well, if that's not the reason then why haven't we seen a 145lbs female division in the UFC? Wouldn't it make more sense to create a 145lbs division that has a wrecking ball called Cyborg at the head of it rather than a 115lbs division featuring a bunch of no-names that no one will really give a fuck about?

Look, I think that we're not going to see that fight at 135lbs. With the kind of money it could generate you would have to believe that if Cyborg could have gotten down she would have. It's pretty obvious that she can't.

We'll only see that fight at a catchweight, and that'll only happen most likely if Rousey makes noises about leaving the sport. It'll be a final fight kind of deal.

• Paid Members

Look, I think that we're not going to see that fight at 135lbs. With the kind of money it could generate you would have to believe that if Cyborg could have gotten down she would have. It's pretty obvious that she can't.

We'll only see that fight at a catchweight, and that'll only happen most likely if Rousey makes noises about leaving the sport. It'll be a final fight kind of deal.

As I said on the previous page I agree, this fight will never happen at 135 or it would have already done so by now. This will be a final fight deal for Ronda in my eyes where there's no title on the line.

Cyborg is a fucking moron. The ball is in her court and it has been for about two years. Either lose the weight or shut the fuck up. I honestly don't understand the intent of posting a photograph of herself weighing 175. All that proves to me is that she can't want that Ronda fight even half as much as she says she does. If she truly wanted the fight then she'd spend her time dieting, doing cardio and getting off the gas, rather than wasting time telling everyone how heavy she is.

Completely off-topic, but change a couple of words around and thats what I feel about Ben Askren.

Kicks up a fuss about not being in the UFC and Dana badmouths him. Then Dana has a change of heart and is open to him fighting in UFC, at which point Askren tells him to fuck off. Only then to moan again about not being in the UFC.

Dana & UFC are wrong about a lot of stuff and handle things poorly, but I don't think they're in the wrong when it comes to their handling of the Cyborg/Askren situations.

As for Ronda, You know how in darts they have the thing where they hype Phil Taylor as the most dominant sportsperson in the world, well surely Ronda is a rival for that claim now? .

Don't be ridiculous, The Groper has been at the top for nearly 20 years.

• Paid Members

why when they were looking for a second women's division they didn't go for 145lbs rather than 115lbs?

Why go for a division that has practically zero interest from the fans rather than have two female divisions with the two best female fighters in the game heading them both?

I'm guessing because, aside from Cyborg, women's featherweight is shit. People talk about a lack of depth at 135 but 145 is way worse. Ronda's killing everyone at 135 but there's still a bunch of good fighters in the top ten who they can mix and match. With 145, you've got Cyborg and that's it. There's nothing to build a division with there.

And strawweight is deeper than both divisions. Which is why TUF 20 was so hard to call, with a legit 5 or 6 women on there who had a real shot at winning the whole thing. It's way too early to be saying there'll be no interest in that division. Even without the TUF exposure and with just one UFC fight (on the Fight Pass prelims!), Paige VanZant is catching on with fans due to her looks, personality and fighting style. And she's already bagged a Reebok sponsorship. They're finally going to Scotland, and I don't think the timing of that is a coincidence with Joanne Calderwood now in the UFC. Rose Namajunas and Tecia Torres are exciting and young enough to do big things. There's potential for the Carla Esparza vs Randa Markos rivalry to pick back up. The division has a detestable twat in Felice Herrig. And Angela Magana if she's still around.

This is all in a division that's only existed in the UFC since November. I'd say the future of strawweight is promising. It's a division full of exciting fighters and it's also a pretty young division. There aren't many 30+ fighters in that weight class, they're only going to improve.

Featherweight is just Cyborg and nothing else. Say they brought in 145 instead of 115, and then Cyborg got popped for steroids again and was suspended for a year. Or Cyborg got injured or something. Then the UFC are left with a division with no depth or interest whatsoever.

• Paid Members

Not sure why the UFC actually chose Straweight but it was probably to keep distace between the two ladies divisions. 135 is thin as it is and im assuming if they'd brought in 145 lots of the current 135 roster would move up and vice versa. At this point both divisions are completely seperate entities.

• Paid Members

I thought Holly Holm looked terrible! She was visibly shaking before she got into the cage, pacing up & down frantically before rounds, showed average boxing for a world champion boxer & kickboxer, and her kicks had zero power - I swear she landed kicks on Rocky's chest like she was just placing her foot there & then taking it back down in a controlled manner. Zero power.

I really expected her to show some skills for all the hype behind her - an ex pro boxer should have TKO'd someone like Raquel Pennington - but she didn't. She squeeked out a split decision.

Not sure why the UFC actually chose Straweight but it was probably to keep distace between the two ladies divisions. 135 is thin as it is and im assuming if they'd brought in 145 lots of the current 135 roster would move up and vice versa. At this point both divisions are completely seperate entities.

Makes you wonder why they didn't just go for a 140lbs division to begin with, doesn't it?  ;)

Archived