UFC 184: Rousey vs Zingano

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Because such a division doesn't exist.

I know that's tongue in cheek but it's not as easy as saying "lets stick a Junior Featherweight division in", it could take months/years to get that all changed and adjust the legislation of all Commissions.

Bring in a brand new division with a shit load of hassle or shift an already established division from Strikeforce (that features the biggest stars of WMMA)?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Had Cyborg still been the 145 champion when Zuffa took over, I wouldn't have been surprised to see them merge the 135 and 145 division, and do Ronda vs. Cyborg in order to crown the new champion at 140.

Unfortunately though Cyborg got busted for drugs and was as big an embarrassment as she was an afterthought by the time Zuffa took over. Again, the idiot has got no-one to blame but herself.

• Paid Members

I thought Holly Holm looked terrible! She was visibly shaking before she got into the cage, pacing up & down frantically before rounds, showed average boxing for a world champion boxer & kickboxer, and her kicks had zero power

Her left high kick had some fucking venom behind it, if that thing landed clean it was goodnight Irene.

Herb you're a tough critic.

I side with Herb; for the most part, Holm’s kicks and punches lacked a lot of power. It appeared that her goal was to wear down Pennington with volume over power and that perhaps Holm’s admitted nerves made her decide to avoid going for the expected power shots in case she overcommitted and left herself open. In any event, Holm didn’t light the world on fire, but the bright side for her is that with not so much clamour for her to face Rousey, she gets more time to gain experience and give herself a slightly better chance at beating Rousey.

• Paid Members

I thought Holly Holm looked terrible! She was visibly shaking before she got into the cage, pacing up & down frantically before rounds, showed average boxing for a world champion boxer & kickboxer, and her kicks had zero power

Her left high kick had some fucking venom behind it, if that thing landed clean it was goodnight Irene.

Herb you're a tough critic.

Yeah, I saw that kick - but so did Pennington, because every time Holm threw it, it was telegraphed; and Pennington either blocked it with ease, moved away, or ducked. There's no point putting power behind a kick if you load up on it and tell your opponent you're about to throw it.

I'm more referring to her side kicks - like these: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60352061/kicks.mp4

If Pennington wasn't so lethargic, Holm should have been taken down every time she threw these. My overall impression from the fight was that Holm was very active, had decent movement, threw a lot, landed very little, and had little or no power (that's not to say she doesn't have power - but what she threw in that fight didn't). Yes, that left high kick had decent power, but it was telegraphed every single time. She must have thrown it & failed almost 20 times. 

Because such a division doesn't exist.

I know that's tongue in cheek but it's not as easy as saying "lets stick a Junior Featherweight division in", it could take months/years to get that all changed and adjust the legislation of all Commissions.

Bring in a brand new division with a shit load of hassle or shift an already established division from Strikeforce (that features the biggest stars of WMMA)?

It wouldn't take years at all, especially when you consider that boxing seems to have a different weight class every few pounds. 

Saying that, I'm still not sold on female MMA at all, I don't feel inspired to watch it, and it doesn't sound like I missed much in the Holm fight either.

• Paid Members

I've only just caught up with the show. I was impressed with Holm, surprised Pennington couldn't take her down at all.

Ronda is a beast. She is incredible. I felt sorry for Cat, although I am used to seeing girls look disappointed after 14 seconds of action.

Sorry to distract, but this line really should get a bit of recognition. Good arrows.

• Paid Members

What Holms did do was make sure she got the W, you say her punches and kicks had no power but they were landing so they were scoring. It's a boxing mentality

That's fine - it's one way of doing it. I just said I wasn't impressed by her, considering the hype and her background.

I was listening to the most recent Joe Rogan fight companion whilst on the cross trainer last night and they were talking (not in relation to Holm) about how kickboxers will use that front and side kick more as a "push" type of kick rather than a really attacking kick. It's only recently that MMA fighters have started using them as more of a weapon. I don't know enough about MMA to know how true that is, but it might explain those weak looking kicks from Holm, given her kickboxing background. 

• Paid Members

It's true - but it's not good practice in MMA because of takedowns. MMA kicks should be hard and most importantly, quick. That's why leg kicks are so common, because they can be thrown quickly with minimal risk of getting taken down from them. And your opponent needs to drop their hands to catch it, which most won't risk for fear that you're tricking them into a high kick. 

Holm is just lucky Pennington didn't seem arsed. Tate would have put her on her back every time.

• Paid Members

Its fine to throw front range finding kicks if an opponent isnt actively looking to take you down.

I thought Holm looked decent, there were positives to take from the performance. I was surprised she fought a more kickboxing style than a straight boxing style but she looked decent. Pennington is a brawler who likes to fight in close and dirty,i thought Holm did a fine job of avoiding that kind of fight for the most part, her takedown defence looked sound too.

• Paid Members

Yeah, she did good I suppose - but it was just a lot of movement and a lot of tagging - a points game, as opposed to a fight. I just wasn't impressed considering the hype and her boxing & kickboxing background - I expected a TKO or a KO. Especially considering how much bigger & stronger she was. Shocking how telegraphed those left high kicks were.

As a few people have said, I think Holm was just trying to do enough to get the win and not make any silly mistakes that would cost her in her UFC debut.

Also factor in that she was probably nervous about it being her UFC debut (and there have been a lot of fighters in the same position with "UFC jitters").

Apparently Holm also won a lot of her boxing fights by decision, so not winning by knockout is not too surprising (although I like many expected a KO win).

What Holms did do was make sure she got the W, you say her punches and kicks had no power but they were landing so they were scoring. It's a boxing mentality

One of the judges gave it to Pennington though. If you want to make sure you win an MMA fight, you need to finish your opponent, not leave it the hands of the idiot judges.

Regarding a possible Rousey v Cyborg fight, I haven't seen anyone talk about what would happen afterwards. As Wand said Featherweight is ridiculously shallow and what little talent exists is mostly under contract to Bellator. I think the UFC needs Cyborg to make 135 not just to fight Rousey, but also to fight Tate, Zingano etc. Otherwise what do they do with her?

Archived