Wrestling most random matches.

Snitsky's back acne

Just seen that there was a 6-man tag match on Saturday, presented by NOAH that was Funaki, Super Crazy and Scotty Too Hotty versus Pesadilla, Zack Sabre Jr and Yoshinari Ogawa.

It got me thinking about other 'random' or 'odd' matches there have been - not just multi-mans but just sheer 'what were they smoking when they booked THIS?' kinda deal.

Two other I can think of off the top of my head are from WAR in 1994 where Tenryu, Atsushi Onita and Bam Bam Bigelow wrestled Vampiro, The Warlord and Chris Jericho, as well as from NJPW in 1991 where Oz and Jushin Liger wrestled Hiro Saito and Scott Norton.

So - any more 'random' or 'odd' match-ups anyone can think of?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Randy Savage vs Stevie Richards from a Nitro in 97 

They were only in the same company for about five minutes and it just wasn't a match I expected to ever see. Was surprised when I came across it going through the Nitro's. Loads of weird miss mashes pop up from Nitro around this time, mostly Savage, Flair and other veterans against the most random people.

I was thinking Giant Haystacks vs Big Show, yeah. Ten years too early for Show and ten (twenty?) years too late for Haystacks.

Bryan Danielson vs Kamala, for the ROH Championship no less, is a surreal match-up.

• Paid Members

Larry Zbyszko VS Scotty Too Hotty happened at a convention card / ROH Aries v Liger card in January 2010. Not only is it random, it's also shit. It's 98% stalling, then roll up.

A couple of summers ago I went to an Ayako Hamada anniversary show where Kana wrestled Gran Hamada. Ayako obviously thought it was a good laugh to book one of the most highly-pushed Joshi wrestlers on the scene at the time in the ring with her barely-mobile 62 year old papa and see if they could assemble something watchable. Kana did the job, too.

Also (laziness) - there's a fuckton of random shit on Hustle shows. I'd list some matches but really I only want to talk about Akebono hatching from an egg.

• Paid Members

Razor Ramon vs. Bob Backlund at WrestleMania 9 is a match I always thought was odd. Maybe they thought Backlund had a credibility that would get Ramon over but it ended up just a really nothing match and a clash of styles and time zones.

• Paid Members

Maybe it's just because I wasnt following the product closely for that period, but Low Ki having had TV matches against Big Show and Dolph Ziggler always seemed weird.

Saying that though, there's probabaly a good few weird and wonderful Shotgun matches from the early 2000's involving him and others like Bryan that would fit this thread.

Archived