NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

No. Three G1 but this is my first Wrestle Kingdom. Was going to save up properly and go next year but then Naito won the G1 so we shot our wads.

14 hours ago, air_raid said:

No. Three G1 but this is my first Wrestle Kingdom. Was going to save up properly and go next year but then Naito won the G1 so we shot our wads.

Sounds like it should be the dogs bollocks. G1 final sounds like it would be good but I'm sure nothing compared to Wrestle Kingdom. Do they charge a lot for tickets to it?

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Sounds like it should be the dogs bollocks. G1 final sounds like it would be good but I'm sure nothing compared to Wrestle Kingdom. Do they charge a lot for tickets to it?

Top tickets were Y50,000 (approx £348) which come as some kind of of package on top of a front row ticket. We've paid Y9500 (£66) for first tier seats, cheapest are Y4500 (approx £31).

• Paid Members
On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, CavemanLynn said:

It's almost mindboggling to consider this has been longterm booked by Gedo et al., but it's entirely plausible. You just don't get hype packages by WWE going back more than 4 weeks. I maintain that it's this kind of planning and follow-through that really entertains and satisfies.

I don't think it's necessarily long-term booking, just being smart enough to the history of the company, and of the talent, to know how to really flesh out a story and add necessary colour. Not so much forward planning, as an equally impressive lightbulb moment in creative to say - "fucking hell, we could do this", seeing what came before, recognising where you want to get to, and filling in the blanks along the way.

So, annoyingly enough I'm back in work tomorrow so won't be able to watch live. I'll chuck my thoughts on the card, and predictions in here before hopefully getting to watch the show spoiler-free tomorrow evening.

New Japan Rumble: I can't wait for this. Just going to be a complete mish-mash of every fucker imaginable. I hope Haku turns back up again and wins the whole thing. If not, let's have a bit of Bob Sapp, or Akebono, or someone equally mad. Actually no, I want Kitamura to come in and win from #1.

Roppongi 3K vs The Young Bucks: It's a really nice surprise to see a standard 2v2 affair for the Junior Tag Championships for the second year running. Sure, the Dome crowd will probably be as dead for them as ever but at least it's going to have a heightened chance of having a bit of a storytelling as opposed to the usual multi-man flip around match. Roppongi 3K are starting to find their groove a bit more, and Young Bucks are always moderately entertaining when they're actually in the ring. I'll say Young Bucks win this one, and drop the belts a couple of months later.

NEVER 6-Man Gauntlet: Going to be a bit of a mess, isn't it? Especially considering the drastic range of styles you've got in that match. Bit disappointed to see Ishii just lumped into here after the fantastic year he's had, he deserves more than this. He's not the only one actually. You could make good cases for Elgin and Juice being more deserving of a stand-out spot, but whatever. The Suzuki-Gun section of the match (Taichi, Iizuka and ZSJ) is going to be a real chore to get through. I can't see Team Elgin getting the win, with his future in NJPW looking more and more unsecure, so I'll say that Taguichi Japan grab the belts here.

Cody vs Ibushi: I'm just really not arsed. Ibushi is amazing, but I cannot muster a single shred of interest for anything concerning Cody Rhodes within Japan. He can be as over as he likes in America, with his constant pandering to the smark fanbase alongside his never-ending stream of *** matches, but the Japan crowd don't give a shit and it's becoming more and more obvious. I don't think the Ibushi/Omega match was the right booking, yet, but neither is this. There's decent enough arguments for both men winning to be honest. A win against Ibushi makes Cody look strong ahead of his inevitable implosion with Omega, yet Kota winning gives Omega more of a reason to want to face him. Because of his sketchy commitment to the company, I'll lean towards a Cody win. I'm expecting no more than ***.

K.E.S vs SANADA and EVIL: It's really somewhat of a minor miracle that we've got 2, standard 2v2 tag matches for the belts. The addition of EVIL/SANADA has been a welcome one to a tag division growing increasingly stagnant, and I expect them to pick up the win to sound out a dominant night for LIJ. 

Minoru Suzuki vs Hirooki Goto: The build to this one has actually been surprisingly underrated. On paper, this doesn't stand out much compared to the more marquee matches but the hair vs hair stipulation has really added something quite personal to this one. My enjoyment for this match will depend massively on the potential interference of the rest of Suzuki-Gun. On far too many occasions, they've actively hampered what should have been a far better match and hopefully NJPW will have the sense to see that at their biggest show, there really isn't a place for it. My head says that Suzuki finally gets his comeuppance here, and Goto manages to win the NEVER belt at Wrestle Kingdom once again.

Scurll vs Takahashi vs Ospreay vs KUSHIDA: I really would have preferred a singles bout between Will and Hiromu, but oh well, the multi-man junior match has to be slotted into the grand scheme of things somewhere, so here we are. Ospreay only seems to become half-important when he's about to challenge for the title, so I don't think he's going to grab it, especially so soon after he finally gets to go over KUSHIDA. Hiromu's booking has really seen him fall off a cliff in the latter half of 2017, which is such a shame, and I can't imagine there's anyone fresh for KUSHIDA to face at the moment. So I'll say Scurll gets to keep the belt for now, purely for the sake of some matches we've not seen before on a big scale, despite him really not being very interesting.

Tanahashi vs Jay White: They've done a good job at getting me excited here. It's a massive opportunity for Switchblade, and there's nobody better to establish him as a hot hell than Tana. The fact they've fleshed out his character a bit with the various promos and interviews has done him a lot of good as well, broadening him out a bit instead of the edgy bloke we initially saw at Power Struggle. With the story of Tanahashi's knee being hurt, you've got a good method of not only making him look valiant in defeat, but also getting White over by being smart enough to target that, and I think that's the story we'll see. White winning, and Hiroshi taking a couple of months off before returning for the rematch is the approach I think New Japan will go for.

Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho: I'm still torn on who's going to win here. On one hand, it makes loads of sense for the veteran Jericho to put Kenny over, but I can't help the nagging feeling that the majority of the build for the big USA show is going to be formed around around a big rematch between these two lads. But then would WWE be happy with Jericho holding a NJPW title for that long? Probably not. The logical explanation here is a Kenny win, but neither result would shock me. The no-disqualification stipulation doesn't shock me, as Jericho trying to keep up with the manic workrate of Omega wasn't ever going to go down well. It allows them to incorporate a lot more plunder than they would without it. I'm not worried about Jericho looking out of place at all, he's more than capable of working a cracking match, and in Omega he's got a fantastic dance partner. It's a really nice mixture of Omega's immense workrate alongside Jericho's storytelling capabilities.

Okada vs Naito: This is going to be so good. I can't wait to see how hotly contested this match is. The long-term booking arch of this match is really sublime when you go back and factor in all the build, the numerous twists and turns, and the callbacks to their original Wrestle Kingdom match. I can't see any way in which this one isn't anything less than brilliant. I'd go as far to say Okada is the best big-match wrestler in the last decade, and Naito has been peaking marvellously from a quality perspective. It would make sense for him to win to complete the whole redemption storyline that New Japan seem to love, but I can also see Omega being the one to take the belt from Okada, so again it's a bit of a coin toss. It speaks volumes for the quality of the booking that I'm completely indecisive in regards to a match based solely on how well each man has been made to look going into a match.

Tana, Okada and Naito are being put in the PS4 game Yakuza 6.

New Japan Pro-Wrestling's biggest night of the year is here... #WrestleKingdom12! Oh, and guess what? Tetsuya Naito, Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi appear in the Yakuza 6 Clan Creator Mini-Game as members of the evil gang, JUSTUS

Save the Clan Codes below to unlock these #NJPW stars when you pickup Yakuza 6 on March 20th!

Naito: ELingobernable00
Okada: RainmakerMrOkada
Tanahashi: MisterTokyoDome0

May seem a dumb question but is there an option for English Commentary? 

Been thinking off signing up for this show but not sure I could sit through 5+ hours not understanding a word that is being said.

I'm assuming it's like the WWE network where the show will just stay on demand and not expire or anything like that as might take me a few days to get throught it all.