NJPW World

Sphinx

7 hours ago, mim731 said:

Has that been confirmed anywhere? Doesn't mean he'll be wrestling on that show, but I could see him endorsing Omega after losing to him the night before. 

Observer have said it. I doubt he will wrestle but it shows the possibility of continuing to feud or possible work with the promotion in the future. 

I think if Jericho sticks around for another feud Naito would be tremendous, am I right in saying Naito has been a bit outspoken in that he feels he and Okada are THE main event, as in the biggest match, whilst Jericho is obviously tooting his own horn in all this as he tends to do. After what happened a few years with Naito at WK and now this year where the perception could be he is again not getting the moment he deserves I reckon that feud would be brilliant.

• Paid Members

Naito's right. Okada is the ace, he's the company's biggest merch seller. It's a gigantic collision. The "Naito's time is surely now" factor cannot be understated. People saying that this isn't a big deal because he's been champion once are missing the point : there are loads of guys who get one and only one title run (poor Goto) because the company will "test the water" on a guy - it's the second reign that matters most. The second reign is where they go with you because they have faith that you can and will deliver in the ring, at the gate and at the merch table. Not even thinking about the history of Naito in regards to Okada.

Furthermore, its at Wrestle Kingdom. And it would be terminating Okada's (multiple) record-setting reign. Beating Okada to end this reign at a Wrestle Kingdom would be not just the biggest win of his career but one of the biggest wins for any wrestler in recent New Japan history. I was devastated when Naito didn't win last year's G1 as I felt he'd earned another push at the top but they've timed it perfectly - LIJ are at a peak in terms of popularity, Hiromu having accomplished amazing things and Evil and Sanada going for the tag belts, it feels like the machine is going full bore behind the "Ungovernables", as ironic as that sounds. The whole direction of the company and its future hinges on the result of one match.

The stars have aligned, this main event is enormous. Naito winning would be an incredible moment, I'm buzzing off my tits that I might see such a moment in person. A generation of New Japan fans could look back on Naito's big night out as a defining match.

CHRIS JERICHO, YAY!! ..... Okada v Naito is the main event.

Edited by air_raid

This is a lovely piece of work by Showbuckle. Fabulously shows the development of Naito alongside Okada's run as NJPW's chosen one. It's borderline Corporate Rock vs Stone Cold. Tremendous.

It's almost mindboggling to consider this has been longterm booked by Gedo et al., but it's entirely plausible. You just don't get hype packages by WWE going back more than 4 weeks. I maintain that it's this kind of planning and follow-through that really entertains and satisfies.

Edited by CavemanLynn

Appreciate the link because it actually made me watch a New Japan match for the first time in about 6 years, but unfortunately it did kind of confirm what i'd feared: the idea of what the match could be in my head is always better than the outcome. Rainmaker aside, it was boring.

Was this the main event?

EDIT: I can appreciate Naito must have improved quite some since as this was 4 years ago. That fan made hype video above is decent at least.

Edited by Philjax
Naito

• Paid Members

It didn't go on last. A big part of the Naito vs Okada story is that 4 years ago, Naito won the G1 and the Wrestle Kingdom title shot, but fans didn't feel Naito was ready to main event the Dome and, in a fan vote, Tanahashi's Intercontinental title defense was chosen to go on last instead. 

I think I have the next bit right. Naito then had an excursion to Mexico and joined Los Ingobernables, with La Sombra notably (who is now Andrade Cien Almas) and brought that new attitude back to NJPW, forming Los Ingobernables de Japon. At full strength, the 5 man LIJ faction feel most like a united faction of all the NJPW groups. 

Edited by gadge
More to say

• Paid Members

More Westerners about than any of the times I was here for a G1, understandably. I was at All Japan today and just after the bell in Tajiri v Kotaro we heard a Yank shout "kick his ass Tajiri!"... super cringe.

Its weird, having been to Dome City today obviously there are posters and shit all over the place but in the rest of central Tokyo - we were in Ikebukero on Sunday and Shibuya today for instance - there doesn't seem nearly as much coverage about. August 13 I could barely get a train without seeing Tana on a poster or overhead monitor but this trip we haven't seen a single bit of advertising for Wrestle Kingdom outside Dome City itself. Odd.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

More Westerners about than any of the times I was here for a G1, understandably. I was at All Japan today and just after the bell in Tajiri v Kotaro we heard a Yank shout "kick his ass Tajiri!"... super cringe.

Its weird, having been to Dome City today obviously there are posters and shit all over the place but in the rest of central Tokyo - we were in Ikebukero on Sunday and Shibuya today for instance - there doesn't seem nearly as much coverage about. August 13 I could barely get a train without seeing Tana on a poster or overhead monitor but this trip we haven't seen a single bit of advertising for Wrestle Kingdom outside Dome City itself. Odd.

Have you been to WrestleKingdom before? I must say that is one show I would love to see live. I have absolutely no want to see a Mania but going to the Tokyo Dome sounds awesome.