NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

27th in Sapporo is headlined by Tana v MiSu for the I title. Bullet Club defend pointless 6men belts against Taguchi, Henare and Makabe. Feud continuation/build up tags - White & R3K v Kenny & The Bucks, Okada Goto Gedo v Sanada Evil Bushi, Naito & Hiromu v Ospreay & Yoshi. Kitamura v Elgin.

28th is your Omega v White. Bucks v R3K rematch supports. Chaos v LIJ ten man (ROAR) and Kitamura v Juice.

No date for Naito v Jericho yet.

4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

27th in Sapporo is headlined by Tana v MiSu for the I title. Bullet Club defend pointless 6men belts against Taguchi, Henare and Makabe. Feud continuation/build up tags - White & R3K v Kenny & The Bucks, Okada Goto Gedo v Sanada Evil Bushi, Naito & Hiromu v Ospreay & Yoshi. Kitamura v Elgin.

28th is your Omega v White. Bucks v R3K rematch supports. Chaos v LIJ ten man (ROAR) and Kitamura v Juice.

No date for Naito v Jericho yet.

I'll assume that Okada vs Sanada will headline Osaka and Naito vs Jericho will be in March at US show.

4 minutes ago, air_raid said:

TildeGuy has posted the big matches for Osaka and yes, its Okada v Sanada.

http://sp.njpw.jp/130285

Oh yeah just read that. I don't think that is the right choice and should have that at one of the Sapporo shows as Sanada is not going to win that. Tanahashi against Suzuki seems more likely as that to me could go either way.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

The Road to New Beginning on the 4th of February will feature EVIL and Sanada defending the Tag Titles vs Okada and Goto

Not quite. 6th at Korakuen. The night before in the same building is the inevitable Chaos v LIJ ten man elimination match.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Oh yeah just read that. I don't think that is the right choice and should have that at one of the Sapporo shows as Sanada is not going to win that. Tanahashi against Suzuki seems more likely as that to me could go either way.

Okada v Sanada, Goto v Evil, Ospreay v Hiromu for the belts supported by Naito v Yoshi and just for shits and giggles Gedo v Bushi is a great card for Osaka. Chaos v LIJ is THE issue in the company. Plus, Osaka is the biggest show. Osaka not getting the IWGP title match would be illogical. Between the New Beginning show, Dominion and always a stacked G1 show, Osaka is their biggest priority outside Tokyo. Sapporo is B shows.

43 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Okada v Sanada, Goto v Evil, Ospreay v Hiromu for the belts supported by Naito v Yoshi and just for shits and giggles Gedo v Bushi is a great card for Osaka. Chaos v LIJ is THE issue in the company. Plus, Osaka is the biggest show. Osaka not getting the IWGP title match would be illogical. Between the New Beginning show, Dominion and always a stacked G1 show, Osaka is their biggest priority outside Tokyo. Sapporo is B shows.

Sapporo had the title match last year and Osaka the IC title match. I have no doubt it will be a great show and I would rather watch Okada vs Sanada but in reality we know it is just build for another match but I take your point.

• Paid Members

It is unlikely to be Sanada, and I'm sure it'll be on a bigger show than the one upcoming, but I do wonder if New Japan will do a switch out of the blue at some stage, maybe an upset win over Okada for an unlikely champ. Unless he's keeping it until WK 13 to face Naito or Omega, I don't see who they put him with in the meantime for the bigger shows.

Also, given Tanahashi's laundry list of injuries, I could definitely see him dropping the IC title to Suzuki. 

1 minute ago, mim731 said:

It is unlikely to be Sanada, and I'm sure it'll be on a bigger show than the one upcoming, but I do wonder if New Japan will do a switch out of the blue at some stage, maybe an upset win over Okada for an unlikely champ. Unless he's keeping it until WK 13 to face Naito or Omega, I don't see who they put him with in the meantime for the bigger shows.

Also, given Tanahashi's laundry list of injuries, I could definitely see him dropping the IC title to Suzuki. 

Yeah I think Tanahashi loses and then has a break until G1.

With regards to the IWGP title, out of nowhere title switches are not going to happen really are they? The company has had only 4 different champions 4 champions in the last 7 years. If they give it to someone new and I think Sanada and EVIL are in contention in a couple years time as they are still 29 and 30, but they will have to build them up first. 

• Paid Members

At the very least, THIS reign is unlikely to end via a shock defeat.

I wouldn't rule out something like... Kenny dumps the US title and either wins the Cup and takes the title at Genesis, or takes the title at Dominion. Okada wins the G1. Naito beats Kenny in October, Naito v Okada at Kingdom.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Wrasslin said:

How likely would they be to build to a three way between them?

Or is that frowned upon at the top of the card?

Traditionally, NJPW have shied away from any kind of gimmick match, including three or four way matches, outside of the Junior and Tag divisions. That's been changing in recent years, but I can't see it impacting the main event scene any time soon.

Mental that we're seriously talking about Tanahashi being so banged up he has to drop the belt to 50 year old Minoru Suzuki with his knees held together by pipe cleaners and children's dreams, but that's the way I see that going too.

I can't see Okada's reign ending on a fluke, but really can't see how or when they go about getting the title off him now. It may be that we have to wait and see how the Omega/Ibushi stuff pans out before anything else becomes clear. I could vaguely see Okada becoming more and more heelish as Naito becomes a bigger babyface, with Okada resented as the "Anointed One" while Naito is the sympathetic public favourite, so that by the time next year's Wrestle Kingdom comes along with either have a Naito/Okada rematch with a more clearly lineated heel/face divide, or one more Omega/Okada match with Omega in the babyface role this time around.

• Paid Members

Admittedly I predict a variant of this every year, but I can see this being the year that somebody (eg Ishii) wins the G1 but then loses the briefcase (ie to Naito). It gets you the outcome you want (Naito redeeming himself at the Dome), overcomes G1 being predictable, and establishes that the briefcase defenses really matter.

• Paid Members

You know what they haven't even done yet? Since Okada initiated the "title shot at Kingdom" deal in 2012, no G1 winner has actually won the belt at the Dome. I think that needs to happen first.