NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

Given his recent comments, I'd be very surprised if he left NJPW for WWE (which is surely the only viable alternative given his position out there?). That said, perhaps those comments were a work. Or perhaps this tweet is a work. Who the fuck knows. I guess Suzuki will be the new top contender for the IWGP title though, at least in the short term. Not that it should have any bearing, but the Young Bucks signed new ROH contracts in December, so that keeps them away from WWE for at least another year.

That said, all the wrestling journalists have been saying that WWE will be in ultra signing mode early this year, and apart from one recent signing (I won't say in case it's a spoiler, but Trips has tweeted about it so I guess not) plus Mandrews added to the UK tournament, you'd assume there would be some big-ish names coming in.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

Hopefully it's a work, surely he's a dead cert to take the IWGP belt in 2017 ?

He may be pencilled in for *a reign* but I don't know if 2017 would have been safe regardless of what he's tweeted. Based on the traction LIJ have garnered and the reactions, gates, merch associated to Naito, and the decisive nature with which Naito was put over Tana, I fully expect him to lose the I belt at the February show with a view to getting the valued 2nd run with the big belt soon. I'm not sure there would be time between now at WK12 for a heel like Kenny to get the belt transitioned from Naito to him - for me, Shibata is a lock for the G1, and I expect WK12 to either be Naito v Shibata if they've seen enough and go all the way with Naito, or more likely, Okada v Shibata. Prior to this tweet, I already considered Kenny the odd man out.

To be honest I would have Tanahashi beat Naito soon, have Omega win the New Japan cup and ask for a match against Tanahashi for the IC title. I agree with Air Raid that Shibata is a serious candidate for G1 but so is Naito. If Naito wins the title then I think he should keep it and face Shibata for the title at WK12. For Omega that would still not be bad as I see the IC title as a big title.

Yesterday I saw the main event and you could see Kenny was going all out to show critics who thought Naito should have won G1 that they were wrong. By the pace you would never have known it was nearly 50 minutes unless you were told. However I did prefer the IC title match. Also saw the Rambo and as silly as it is, I enjoyed it. So 6 matches down and 5 to go (I will leave the ROH title and Cody match til last as I don't really care if I don't see them).

Hopefully that tweet is the start of The Bullet Club finally being phased out.

Do they sell that much merchandise any more? Surely Elite, Young Bucks or Kenny Omega shirts sell more than generic Bullet Club stuff. The Elite seem to pretty much be a seperate entity and GOD are not far from it. You could possibly even have Omega turn face just by him cutting a promo in Japanese. With Suzuki Gun returning you have 2 heel stables along with LIJ who get bigger reactions.

• Paid Members

I agree they're past their sell by date and apparently the Dome was full of mainly Los Ingobernables merchandise, but there was still plenty of Bullet Club merch about. They shift a lot in ROH too.

Edited by Benno

To my understanding, Bullet Club had just slowly been phased out. You've got Kenny and the Bucks in the ELITE, then Tonga and Loa as GoD, and then what are you left with? Fale, Yujiro, Cole, Page, Chase Owens and CODY. Who can honestly say they give even the slightest of shits about any of those guys? If you're going to do anything, just let Fale, Tonga and Loa keep the namesake and let everyone else meander around.

Kenny's tweet is an interesting one. Maybe he's just trying to bend the arm of NJPW a little by teasing that he could piss off to WWE. According to Melzter, NJPW World had 5500 new subscriptions from the western market following his match vs Okada, so he must know he'd be a big asset when it comes to expanding into that market. Maybe I'm just being cynical. Unless he gets a huge offer from the WWE, I can't see him leaving Japan for a while. He's just had one of the greatest matches of all time, is immensely thought of as shown by how strong he looked in said match, he's been pissing about in Japan for ages and it comes off though he loves the place. I hope he doesn't go - he's far too good to be floundering in the RAW midcard.

As far as my 2017 predictions for New Japan, I'll say that Shibata takes the NJC and Naito takes the G1, culminating at Wrestle Kingdom where you have Okada/Naito for the heavyweight strap and Shibata/Omega for the intercontinental. Let Tanahashi piss about in the tag division with Elgin for a bit.

Would they have given Omega the G1 and the WK main event if there was a chance he was fucking off soon? On that subject I always assumed that AJ would have gotten that spot if had stuck around.

His minor involvement at Dash was a bit of a surprise though. I could be well off of course but I'm leaning towards him freshening up his character a bit.