NJPW World

Sphinx

I thought the match you saw in 2013 was way better (10/8?). I'm saying that, but literally have no memory of it at all. Just that I 'rated' it way higher at the time. Mind you, I did know the result of the recent match in advance, which wouldn't have helped, particularly with the outcome being what it was. 2013 was just such a great year for New Japan.

• Paid Members

I thought the match you saw in 2013 was way better (10/8?). I'm saying that, but literally have no memory of it at all. Just that I 'rated' it way higher at the time. Mind you, I did know the result of the recent match in advance, which wouldn't have helped, particularly with the outcome being what it was. 2013 was just such a great year for New Japan.

It's highly possible that the difference in my perceived enjoyment was down to suspension of disbelief as to the result. Going into that show on the first night at Ryogoku in 2013, the Tana/Okada rivalry had only gone as far as a hot potato of the belt from Tana to Okada, back and back again, with Tanahashi successfully retaining at Wrestle Kingdom 7 in the middle. The matches between the two of them, which to that point had exclusively been for the belt, were tied at 2-2, and it was rather obvious even before the day of the match, that a group stage match in the G1 would be an odd point to (at least temporarily) break the parity between the two top guns. When Tana started working the leg, tsve and I just looked at each other and said "Yeah, they're going broadway." I enjoyed watching what they did, but for about 20 minutes of the match I felt a little disconnected, like I was just waiting patiently for the draw to be announced.

I totally lost myself to their match the other day, wrapped up in the excitement of the match and the assumption the winner would go through (forgetting that a draw would let Goto in). Knowing that Okada, even as champion and conqueror of Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 10, was entirely capable of dropping a match to his biggest rival, but maybe 75% sure he would be winning to set up another match with Naito, in spite of their recent shunning of the "champion loses in the final" trope that used to be so popular. I was really into it and didn't have a clue it was near time when the bell interrupted Tana's pinfall. I was emotionally invested in every finisher or close call and was very much "AGGHHH NOOOOOO!!!" when Tana hit the last High Fly Flow because I thought Okada was going down, then fraught with confusion at the bell because I couldn't remember what the group looked like. It was a belter.

Destruction cards

DESTRUCTION in TOKYO – Saturday September 17th – 5:00 AM ET
* IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship: Champion KUSHIDA vs. BUSHI
* NEVER Openweight Championship Match: Champion Katsuyori Shibata vs. Bobby Fish [ROH]
* Michael Elgin, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA & EVIL
* Kazuchika Okada, YOSHI-HASHI & Will Ospreay vs. Kenny Omega, Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
* Kyle O’Reilly vs. Juice Robinson
* Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo vs. Tama Tonga, Tanga Roa & Chase Owens
* Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Tiger Mask vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Jushin Thunder Liger
* Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Yoshitatsu & Captain New Japan
* Rocky Romero & Beretta vs. David Finlay & Henare

DESTRUCTION in HIROSHIMA – Thursday September 22nd – 4:00 AM ET
* Tokyo Dome IWGP Title Shot Match: Title Shot Holder Kenny Omega vs. YOSHI-HASHI
* Non-Title Match: IWGP Champion Kazuchika Okada vs. Bad Luck Fale
* Adam Cole vs. Will Ospreay
* IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match: Champions Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
* Michael Elgin, Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA & Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL & BUSHI
* Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens vs. Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii
* Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa vs. Rocky Romero & Beretta
* Katsuyori Shibata, Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask vs. Kyle O’Reilly, Bobby Fish, Ryusuke Taguchi & David Finlay
* Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Ricochet & Matt Sydal vs. Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma, Yoshitatsu & Captain New Japan

DESTRUCTION in KOBE – Sunday September 25th at 3AM ET
* IWGP IC Title Match: Champion Michael Elgin vs. Tetsuya Naito
* Kazuchika Okada, YOSHI-HASHI, Jado & Gedo vs. Naomichi Marufuji, Toru Yano, Atsushi Kotoge & Daisuke Harada
* Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA & Juice Robinson vs. SANADA, EVIL & BUSHI
* Kenny Omega, Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Tonga Roa vs. Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe
* NEVER 6-Man Tag Championship Match: Championss Satoshi Kojima, Matt Sydal & Ricochet vs. Adam Cole, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
* Katsuyori Shibata & Yuji Nagata vs. Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly
* Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask
* Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens vs. Yoshitatsu & Captain New Japan
* Will Ospreay, Rocky Romero & Beretta vs. David Finlay, Henare & Teruaki Kanemitsu

I think Kushida will beat Bushi in Tokyo but I would like to see Bushi win. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves and think he could get over as the champ. I also doubt Fish will win the Open Weight title. 

In Hiroshima I think the main event result is obvious but am glad YOSHI-HASHI is getting a slot as he was top notch in G1. I hope they give him 20 minutes to show his stuff and when he loses he doesn't lose clean and comes out looking good. Even at 34 I think they could push him to IC level or at least possible challenger to titles. I think The Young Bucks could win, no real need for The Briscoes to have the titles apart from to get them of GOD. 

In Kobe I think you could see Naito taking the title and then face Tanahashi for it at Wrestle Kingdom XI. However I think I would rather see Naito face Tanahashi in a non title singles at Wrestle Kingdom and have Sanada face Elgin for the title at some point this year. Sadly I have a feeling the 6 man titles will change hands again and The Young Bucks will hold all IWGP tag titles. 

Ishii v Tatanka would've been even better.

Coming soon to PCW, I'm sure.

Only costs £1.50 by bus, so we'll be there for that. Me and Sepp Blatter. He's fond of a short bus excursion.

Looking at the line-ups for the various "Destruction" dates. YOSHI-HASHI, just why? At the moment, it looks like you could put one decent card together from the 3 nights. How the fuck does Marufuji get a shot at the IWGP @ KOPW?..another fella I've very little time for, along with SANADA. There aren't that many (honest), but those 2 right there are high on the list.

If that's their reasoning for those matches taking place, it's pretty thin. I do keep forgetting that YOSHI-HASHI is over with the Japanese fans, on the hapless / tryer-front, so I can see some lame justification for that one. Marufuji isn't Champion in his own Promotion, so why he'd get a shot at the IWGP, doesn't make much sense. Okada losing to him on Day 1 of G1 is neither here nor there. He also lost to Ishii. I suppose with NJPW having a stake in NOAH, they may need to show some interest in pushing some of their bigger names, along with ROH (for different reasons). It just seems to create some odd booking at times. Doesn't matter, he'll get beat anyway and hopefully that'll be the back of him.

That's the way they've booked title matches between August and January for at least 4 or 5 years now. Beat champ in G1, get a title shot. I'll admit though that Yoshi Hashi in a Dome briefcase match stretches it a bit. He'd be much better off going after Shibata.

The only thing that offends me is Briscoes vs Bucks for the proper tag belts. Horrendous

I think yoshi hashi makes sense. Omega said it was an embarrassment losing to him after the match so wants revenge. Ishii is part of chaos so I doubt he would fight okada outside of tournaments. They are trying to fill the void left by aj, nakamura and to an extent tanahashi. So to me building marafuji makes sense so he can be up there with okada, naito and omega.

Regarding bucks and Briscoes I'm not a fan of either and would rather they lost the belts to a random tag team like ishii and hashi

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

Lets not forget, theyre about to go full bore with a little Noah feud. Based on some of the results we've just seen I think the Bullet Club job squad might go looking for Yano/Marufuji's tag belts, Shibata vs Noah lads looks nailed on and Nakajima will look for another match with Elgin for the belt assuming he escapes Naito (who shouldn't be fucking about with that belt at this point). So in the wider context, Marufuji as one of Noah's two top babyface main eventers coming after New Japan's champion makes perfect sense, as well as the fact he beat Okada in the G1 (he beat Tana in 2012 in Osaka to earn a title shot at him too).

Furthermore, he didnt just beat Okada. Watching the end of that match after how much of it Marufuji had dominated, for a New Japan main event, he crushed him. In character terms it makes perfect sense for Okada to want to avenge such a decisive loss.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to love Tomoaki Honma in Big Japan, but not seen much of him in New Japan. What are his best bouts to watch?

He's been in NJPW on & off for years, but for most of that time he was just there, entirely forgettable. Then he got a push & started having some decent matches, albeit that they can be quite 'samey'. I'd suggest these, if you can track 'em down. The 7/11 match with Ishii, perhaps being the best:

[03.05.14, Never Openweight Title]: Tomohiro Ishii v Tomoaki Honma

[21.06.14]: Hirooki Goto / Katsuyori Shibata v Tomoaki Honma / Yuji Nagata

[03.08.14, G1 ~ Block A]: Tomoaki Honma v Katsuyori Shibata

[14.02.15, NEVER Openweight Title]: Tomohiro Ishii v Tomoaki Honma

[09.08.15, G1 ~ Block B]: Tomoaki Honma v Shinsuke Nakamura

[12.08.15, G1 ~ Block A]: Tomohiro Ishii v Tomoaki Honma

[07.11.15, NEVER Openweight Title]: Tomohiro Ishii v Tomoaki Honma

[22.07.16, G1 ~ Block B]: Katsuyori Shibata v Tomoaki Honma

Edited by KingofSports