NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Couldn't see Tanahashi winning, nor think of any particular reason for him to get a shot in the first place.

You can't think of a reason they wanted to tell the story of Okada breaking the record of breaking Tanahashi's record and consigning the last bit of Tana's legacy preventing Okada standing alone as The Man by beating him? Really? If the record co-holder is still active (and wildly popular) isn't it a fairly obvious story to tell?

Or do you mean in kayfabe? In which case at Sakura Genesis when Okada is wondering aloud who his next challenger will be, the man whose legacy is at stake decides to march out and make a challenge, and Kazu being a dominant, confident champion, accepts. Pretty straightforward. Pretty typical New Japan.

50 minutes ago, air_raid said:

You can't think of a reason they wanted to tell the story of Okada breaking the record of breaking Tanahashi's record and consigning the last bit of Tana's legacy preventing Okada standing alone as The Man by beating him? Really? If the record co-holder is still active (and wildly popular) isn't it a fairly obvious story to tell?

Or do you mean in kayfabe? In which case at Sakura Genesis when Okada is wondering aloud who his next challenger will be, the man whose legacy is at stake decides to march out and make a challenge, and Kazu being a dominant, confident champion, accepts. Pretty straightforward. Pretty typical New Japan.

I tend not to overthink or even follow storylines and instafeuds closely (more of a bell to bell man myself) and a pre-determined record means nothing to me, personally. The duality of kayfabe vs. out in the open, smark for want of a better phrase one minute, old fashioned mark the next can make for a difficult balancing act and one I particularly struggle with, when it comes to storylines. It's vitually all bollocks..sometimes good bollocks, but bollocks nonetheless. Tanahashi's legacy for me, is broadly speaking his career between 2005 - 2016 (you more than anybody would know what that was) + anything of worth that he does in the future. That is neither diminished nor tarnished by losing some or other 'record'. It's been clear for quite some time that Okada was going to be The Man until or unless he goes WWElsewhere, or someone better comes along. I stand by my original point, that Tana's in-ring hasn't been upto scratch of late. I'm not dismissing your thoughts, but they are yours & those are mine. We watch for different reasons.

• Paid Members

I thought the Suzuki match was tremendous, personally. But no, by and large Tana probably hasn't been in the top 5/6 guys having the best matches every tour. But yeah, I mostly watch matches because I care about who wins/the story, and suspending my disbelief. Which is the reason the match wasn't great for me - it never persuaded me Tana might win.

• Paid Members

Is it normal for them not to put the whole English Commentary show up? First time I've encountered this and it's super annoying.

EDIT: They've added the whole show in English.

Edited by Supremo

7 hours ago, Philjax said:

Sorry, did I just read above that NJPW owns NOAH now?

They don't. I think kingofsports thinks they do because until late 2016 njpw loaned them loads of wrestlers such as all of Suzuki Gun while paying the salaries and njpw borrowed Marafuji for the G1. Noah got bought out in November 2016 and njpw pulled their wrestlers back. 

The brackets for The Best Of The Super Juniors have been announced

Block A: Tiger Mask, Kanemaru, ACH, Flip Gordon, Yoh, Bushi, Will Ospreay, Taiji Ishimori

Block B: Kushida, Sho, El Desperado, Hiromu Takahashi, Taguchi, Marty Scurll, Dragon Lee, Chris Sabin

The first show is headlined by Ospreay/Ishimori on May 18th and will be live and free on Youtube if you don’t have a New Japan World account.

I was gonna go with a Takahashi win but now that Ishimori has made his debut I think it’s a toss up between the two. 

On 04/05/2018 at 4:49 PM, JNLister said:

I'd have thought Naito-Jericho was more likely for the Cow Palace show. Make it non-title and you can announce that right away and use it to shift some tickets.

Naito/Jericho just confirmed for Dominion.  

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

The first show is headlined by Ospreay/Ishimori

Ishimori loses his opener but ends up winning the tournament.

14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Does anyone rate Jay White? I think he’s rubbish. He’s also got a terrible E-Fed gimmick.

It's not just you. As a worker he can be dragged to a good match but as a character he's far from a finished article and as such I'm not invested in anything he does. As a matter of fact there's a lot of goodwill owing from the fact they threw him straight from "rookie on overseas excursion" to "fights Tana at Kingdom" in spite of his obvious shortcomings. Not sure he's ever coming back from that, for me. JBL factor, far too much far too soon, ergo I hate you.

1 minute ago, BrodyGraham said:

Does him being in Chaos actually mean anything? 

I think it’s for his own interests so he has back up, more looking out for himself then anything else.  He’s clearly a heel in a face stable.  Which will end up going 1 of 2 ways, he ends up turning face or turns on a chaos member leading to a feud.