The Walking Dead Thread * US-Pace Spoilers*

FLips

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, FattHardy said:

Has anyone kept up with Fear The Walking Dead?

This past season was certainly something huh? And that finale :omg:

I haven’t been a fan of the spin off, but I continue to watch as Kirkman confirmed there will be a cross over with the main show at some point next year, they keep killing characters off constantly so there’s no way of getting invested in the show. 

Madison is clearly a heel though.

• Paid Members

I thought it was a solid opener. Particularly compared to some of the rank episodes we've had over the past couple of years.

Minimal Negan is always a good move. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is such a hammy bastard and I really can't be arsed with seeing him lean back after finishing a sentence, every bloody scene. 

38 minutes ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

I wonder if they're going to have Negan slowly eaten by a bunch of dead Saviors, whilst the whole time he leans nonchalantly and whistles with a grin on his face, like this is his plan all along

"Well SHIT Rick, isn't this just a doozy to get out of" *rocks on his heels*

• Members

It's mental how people treat this program. I've got a mate that watches it every week and just fucking moans how shit it is. I've got a mate that stopped watching after about four series because it's shit but still reads the spoilers and talks about it all the time. I know some comic snobs that hold everything to the source material relentlessly, always have that little smirk of "I know what's going to happen because I read comics" condescension and kick off about any deviations. Then the happiest people I know, who just switch off their brain, watch it and accept it for what it is. So weird that every week there's loads of people talking about it but probably about one in five actually watch it and enjoy it. I barely have time for the TV I want to watch, let alone worry about the shite I don't like.

• Awards Moderator

My other half binge-watched the whole thing over the past couple of months and loves it, she hasn't noticed a dip in quality and has enjoyed it and been invested throughout. I've background-watched it since... probably since they left the prison, but it was loads of fun watching Monday's episode properly with someone who really cares about what's happening. I can see myself getting back into it like I used to be.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Arn Anderson's Darb said:

It's mental how people treat this program. I've got a mate that watches it every week and just fucking moans how shit it is. I've got a mate that stopped watching after about four series because it's shit but still reads the spoilers and talks about it all the time. I know some comic snobs that hold everything to the source material relentlessly, always have that little smirk of "I know what's going to happen because I read comics" condescension and kick off about any deviations. Then the happiest people I know, who just switch off their brain, watch it and accept it for what it is. So weird that every week there's loads of people talking about it but probably about one in five actually watch it and enjoy it. I barely have time for the TV I want to watch, let alone worry about the shite I don't like.

Just like the wrestling, innit.

Anyway, the reason I stick with it is because I'm invested in some of the characters and the hope we don't get a rubbish episode that week. Also, similar to wrestling, they have a habit of giving you just enough cool stuff to keep your hand in.

• Paid Members

There are some. For example, if you look in the Telly thread there are quite a few people battering modern day Red Dwarf, but stick with it because Red Dwarf was really good at one point. It's the same with The Walking Dead.

Although, apparently, they had their worst ratings for a season opener since season 3. So clearly a chunk of the audience have decided it's not worth their time.

• Paid Members

I've been watching TWD at TV pace since it first started- seven years ago! So by this point I've invested 100 hours into it and I sort of want to see it through to find out how it all plays out. Very much like being a WWE viewer, I try not to take it too seriously- I try to turn my brain off and enjoy it for what it is. In this case it's an hour of campy B-movie zombie action. Years of wrestling fandom has conditioned me to be able to do that quite easily, but it's impossible not to be blind to the glaring flaws though. For such a high-profile big budget show, the quality of the writing and character development is appalling. I think @DavidB6937 was right above- for a lot of viewers the frustration comes from the unfulfilled potential. It's a simple concept that should be difficult to fuck up, yet they do- regularly. Gaping logic holes in plot-lines, the introduction of more and more unpopular supporting characters and a habit for delivering unsatisfying pay-offs to the big angles all serve to piss off the loyal fanbase. 

Archived