Where are they now? "Stars" of the noughties.

tiger_rick

I always think of this as the Lost Generation. Guys who came up while the WWE was stacked with big stars, and by the time those stars moved on the no-jobber style of tv had ruined their drawing potential.

Tyson Tomko, MVP, Chris Masters... These guys should have had solid runs near the top of the card, if not champs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conway works for New Japan too, doesn't he? He's probably the most prominent of anyone mentioned in the thread.

Conway's appeared on 7 or more of New Japan's bigger events & ppvs in the past 18 months (NWA Title or Tag-Titles) & René Duprée jumped from All Japan to Wrestle-1

• Paid Members

It's the ones that came a bit after that that are the lost generation to me. Sheamus, Barrett, Ziggler, Kingston etc. The ones who went from future top stars to old news when The Shield and Wyatts came along.

That's some people from every generation, isn't it? There was a bunch of people who lucked out for a while with Hogan moving to WCW — it was like a golden parachute for Duggan, Bossman (although he came back), Honky Tonk (almost), Earthquake, Brother Bruti, etc.

Ah, Snitsky's post-WWE career... Pressure cookin', midget belittlin', wanted posterin', Manos II'in'. He needs his own reality series.

It's the ones that came a bit after that that are the lost generation to me. Sheamus, Barrett, Ziggler, Kingston etc. The ones who went from future top stars to old news when The Shield and Wyatts came along.

That's some people from every generation, isn't it?

Yeah, but it feels like that entire 2008-early 2012 intake has been cast aside now for the shinier toys. Although Daniel Bryan is the exception, obviously, and they keep trying with Cesaro.

And is the current NWA World Heavyweight champion, this reign eing his second.

I know that title doesn't mean dick anymore, but it's still better than being Virgil

Oddly enough I was looking at his Twitter the other day and totally forgot about him holding the NWA title. That's how important that title means now.

Was watching that OSW December to Dismember review myself today. Didn't like the way they ragged on Bob Holly!

What are Mike Knox and Kelly Kelly at these days?

And who was that Trinity one who walked out to the ring with the FBI?

• Paid Members

Kelly Kelly does modelling, and does well at it, as you can imagine. I remember hearing she made more through her calender when she left, than she did on merchandise in her last year in WWE. Trinity was a stunt woman, last I heard.

And Mike Knox is in TNA, and has been for about 2 1/2 years now. And his role is as D-list as you can get. He turns up loses and fucks off again. Shame how his career turned out, because he now wears jeans and vest and a generic skin head/beard. I remember in about 2008/2009 he looked so impressive. And he could move as well. He's not very good these days, sadly. Always loved him when he was motivated. Thought he could have done far better than he did. Saying that, his manager Rebel is hot as fuck.

• Moderators

I always think of this as the Lost Generation. Guys who came up while the WWE was stacked with big stars, and by the time those stars moved on the no-jobber style of tv had ruined their drawing potential.

Tyson Tomko, MVP, Chris Masters... These guys should have had solid runs near the top of the card, if not champs.

In all fairness, Tomko was the shits until he did a stint in Japan before TNA. (He actually did an Albert, unlike Albert). In WWE he was rotten unless he was just standing near Christian or saying "no".

Kelly Kelly does modelling, and does well at it, as you can imagine. I remember hearing she made more through her calender when she left, than she did on merchandise in her last year in WWE. Trinity was a stunt woman, last I heard.

And Mike Knox is in TNA, and has been for about 2 1/2 years now. And his role is as D-list as you can get. He turns up loses and fucks off again. Shame how his career turned out, because he now wears jeans and vest and a generic skin head/beard. I remember in about 2008/2009 he looked so impressive. And he could move as well. He's not very good these days, sadly. Always loved him when he was motivated. Thought he could have done far better than he did. Saying that, his manager Rebel is hot as fuck.

That Rebel is quite the looker alright. TNA always has had a decent variety of hot women on the go in fairness. They had a hot blonde female ref for a while there too if I'm not mistaken.

I first heard the term 'lost generation' recently and I think it sums up that late 00's lot perfectly. Del Rio, Miz, Ziggler, Sheamus, Swagger etc.

Before that, we had a few new wrestlers come along that seemed to have bags of potential on paper but for one reason or another it didn't work out. Umaga, Carlito, Masters, MVP, Kennedy etc.

I think the last time we had a group of legitimate stars come through was Lesnar, Cena, Batista and Orton.

I don't have high hopes for this new lot coming through NXT, unfortunately.

The NXT lot are technically good, but lack that certain "it" factor. The only one close is Sami Zayn, who has the whole Daniel Bryan plucky underdog likability thing down. Tyson Kidd is doing the best work of his career, but he's still Tyson Kidd. And no amount of flips makes up for the fact that Neville has the charisma of a rock (lower case, not upper case).

As for the 2000s group, always thought MVP was the shit. Still do. Makes me sad that he's wasting his talent in TNA. And on the same note, it makes me sad that tremendous talents like AJ Styles and Samoa Joe spent their peak years in the same going nowhere company.

With the lost generation- it's a tough one. IMO, Del Rio and Swagger weren't really lost- I never thought they were as good as the spot they were given anyway. Especially Swagger. Ever since he debuted to now, I've never seen the appeal. He's big, but his face makes Christian look like a supermodel, and he's never had many great matches. Del Rio does have some good stuff to his resume, but for four years, his character and promos were essentially the same. Miz main evented Wrestlemania, which again is a far higher spot than his skill warranted. I feel like Sheamus definitely should have been a bigger star though.

Archived