Just seen a big spider

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Does opening the sting up and pouring vinegar on a wasp sting really work though?

I remember back in 1996, I got stung in the back, and me and two of my mates ran to nearest Spar shop for a bottle of Chef based on the advice of some old dear who was passing by as I was asking my mate to squeeze it out, but he wouldn't as it would look gay.

We put the vinegar on it and it just hurt more, is all.

I'm assuming it's a wives tale akin to piddling on a jellyfish sting.

• Moderators

I've never been too fussed about spiders, as I deign that the spiders should fear me as I can stamp on it. As a tarantula, my brother in law who worked in Chester Zoo in the education department was looking after, found out when it tried to weave on my arm. Snakes however, while fascinating me, make my arsehole go 5p-50p.

Snakes however, while fascinating me, make my arsehole go 5p-50p.

That reminds me, is anyone here really into snakes, as in the ones that can make you dead? Like folk with a DWA licence to keep them, have pals or know of other folks who do, or are similar to me in just being into them from a distance

I'm totally fascinated by venomous snakes; love reading about them when I get the chance, and watching any documentary I can find. Whenever I see any TV footage of foreign rural lands, one of my first thoughts is usually what types of snakes can you find around there. As a kid, I used to even rent out some utterly shit B-Movie, 'Rattlers', whenever my usual Commando or Beverly Hills Cop were taken.

I always meant to ask, as it can't be all that common an interest but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one or two UKFFers like myself or who would know such folk, what with that whole wrestling-rock-snakes connection thing... like rabbits and tennis.

Edited by Reznor

• Moderators

Tell me more about this tarantula. Did he just pop up on your arm, or did you have fair warning?

He asked me if I wanted to hold it. I said yeah, then it started to weave a web so I carked it, flicked it on the floor, and stood on it.

That reminds me, is anyone here really into snakes, as in the ones that can make you dead? Like folk with a DWA licence to keep them, have pals or know of other folks who do, or are similar to me in just being into them from a distance

I'm totally fascinated by venomous snakes; love reading about them when I get the chance, and watching any documentary I can find. Whenever I see any TV footage of foreign rural lands, one of my first thoughts is usually what types of snakes can you find around there. As a kid, I used to even rent out some utterly shit B-Movie, 'Rattlers', whenever my usual Commando or Beverly Hills Cop were taken.

I always meant to ask, as it can't be all that common an interest but it wouldn't surprise me if there's one or two UKFFers like myself or who would know such folk, what with that whole wrestling-rock-snakes connection thing... like rabbits and tennis.

Venomous snakes are stupendiously interesting to me, which is way it makes no sense I'm so fucking scared.

I don't have a clue what you just said Reznor but it made me lol.

At this moment, I'm feeling paranoid; at least i hope it's just paranoia......  :cry:

Venomous snakes are stupendiously interesting to me, which is way it makes no sense I'm so fucking scared.

Yes. yes. They are. I'd shit myself if I was next to one, but from the safety of the telly or a book, they're the most interesting feckers imaginable. I at least feel less strange now

• Paid Members

Only seen one fuck-off spider in the house this month, but he was a bad motherfucker. Just strolled into the middle of the carpet and stood there trying to stare me out, thinking he was Johnny-Ten-Spiders. Luckily for me he didn't even move as I approached with a shoe in my hand, I think he genuinely believed he was going to be able to no-sell the shoe shot to the head. I shit myself at this time of year, when the bastards come out to mate and pick fights.

I have a corn snake, its almost 4ft now, and I'm looking at getting a royal python fairly soonish. And whilst I love the venomous species, I'd never even consider getting the training and license to keep one, the risk is just far too great. There are several pet shops across the UK that have venomous species, and theres a few that offer training. One I know of is Wrigglies, here's their facebook page if you fancy handling something that could kill you :) You'd be surprised at the amount of people that keep venomous reptiles. But also there are plenty of anaconda keepers and the like, infact you can pick up a young anaconda for £90 an under, and no you don't need a license either, though most sellers will vet you themselves. There are a few other common kept species, like the Hognose snake which many people have, and is even considered a beginner snake. It has very tiny fangs and venom akin to a wasp sting or a little worse. But i am allergic to stings so would probably have a very bad reaction if those cute buggers ever had a nip. Another common kept snake requiring no license is the False Water Cobra. It's not actually a cobra, but it does puff its neck out like a cobra, and also carries venom, but not potent enough to be considered dangerous to humans, but again if like me you are allergic, then you'd steer well clear. 

I trapped a fucking huge spider the other day at my girlfriends in a pint glass. It was stupidly big and when I was looking for a bit of paper to slide under so I could chuck it outside I genuinley thought it was gonna push the glass over. Bloody massive thing kept trying to escape and wouldnt accept being trapped. Think it had shoulders tbf!

I have a corn snake, its almost 4ft now, and I'm looking at getting a royal python fairly soonish. And whilst I love the venomous species, I'd never even consider getting the training and license to keep one, the risk is just far too great. There are several pet shops across the UK that have venomous species, and theres a few that offer training. One I know of is Wrigglies, here's their facebook page if you fancy handling something that could kill you :) You'd be surprised at the amount of people that keep venomous reptiles. But also there are plenty of anaconda keepers and the like, infact you can pick up a young anaconda for £90 an under, and no you don't need a license either, though most sellers will vet you themselves. There are a few other common kept species, like the Hognose snake which many people have, and is even considered a beginner snake. It has very tiny fangs and venom akin to a wasp sting or a little worse. But i am allergic to stings so would probably have a very bad reaction if those cute buggers ever had a nip. Another common kept snake requiring no license is the False Water Cobra. It's not actually a cobra, but it does puff its neck out like a cobra, and also carries venom, but not potent enough to be considered dangerous to humans, but again if like me you are allergic, then you'd steer well clear.

Yeah, I know of those ones being pretty popular among enthusiasts. I think the hognose can look a bit fat-cobra-ish with the hood too. If i was serious about keeping something and wanted to get a mildly venomous but not DWA species, the Mangrove Snakes look like big, mean looking buggers with their lovely black/yellow colours. They look spectacular.  I think even if you don't suffer from allergies like yourself, some of those back fanged species  can still do some harm to you, but only if you were nuts and let them latch on and chew away for a minute or two (outwith the obvious few that genuinely are deadly)

I think it would be cool to see all the addresses where venomous snakes are kept, to see what's closest, if they're kept anywhere you frequently pass etc. Likewise with all those medical research facilities. I'd guess you could get the info about private owners from an FOI, not that i'd be that keen to go to those lengths.

Edited by Reznor

Yeah, I know of those ones being pretty popular among enthusiasts. I think the hognose can look a bit fat-cobra-ish with the hood too. If i was serious about keeping something and wanted to get a mildly venomous but not DWA species, the Mangrove Snakes look like big, mean looking buggers with their lovely black/yellow colours. They look spectacular.  I think even if you don't suffer from allergies like yourself, some of those back fanged species  can still do some harm to you, but only if you were nuts and let them latch on and chew away for a minute or two (outwith the obvious few that genuinely are deadly)

I think it would be cool to see all the addresses where venomous snakes are kept, to see what's closest, if they're kept anywhere you frequently pass etc. Likewise with all those medical research facilities. I'd guess you could get the info about private owners from an FOI, not that i'd be that keen to go to those lengths.

I too have often wondered where the nearest person keeping DWA would be, though i'm only 20 minutes away from London Zoo myself, but you never know what your neighbours might have and how often you've walked by a cobra or two. If I ever were to own a DWA, I'd love an Albino Diamondback rattler, or a Gaboon Viper (you don't realise how huge they are until you see someone handle one). Is there a strange or unusual pet thread on here come to think of it?