TNA Name Changes

Direct Impact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone remember Michael Shane? He's Shawn Michaels' cousin and I used to think he was awesome in the earlier days of TNA when he was battling for the X Division Title, remember he actually won the first Ultimate X Match and they made a big deal of it saying how his cousin was in a few firsts too and won the first Hell in a Cell and Elimination Chamber. The Michael Shane name was great as it seemed similar to Shawn Michaels and allowed Shane to be a similar kind of character to him and he also used the superkick too.

Then when Gymini, Simon Dean's twin tag team went to WWE one of them was actually called Mike Shane and he owned the copyright to his name so WWE took the opportunity to say they'd take legal action if TNA kept using the Michael Shane name as his real name was Matt Bentley and although he had wrestled under Michael Shane for his whole career in ROH and so far in TNA he had to change it as he'd never copyrighted it. Think he was just known as Michael for a short period until they decided to just call him by his real name, Matt Bentley. It was weird because I know he was the same guy and so on, just with a different name, but he seemed to lose something more than that when he became Matt Bentley. Michael Shane sounded cool, as I said before it sounded similar to Shawn Michaels, and I feel it really helped to allow him to carry off the Michaels look and so on because of it. When he became Matt Bentley the name just didn't seem to connect to that character for me and then he ended up having a bit of a character change too. I think he became a face and had some Bentley Bounce or something that the crowd did. Then he ended up with Raven and had a goth look and had another name change, so again a totally new character. That's when it became obvious to me without the Michael Shane name he just couldn't pull off the character.

Imagine if Cane "The Undertaker" had stuck. the Undertaker is pretty pants on its own when you think about it, but the Cane part makes it even worse. I would say that The Undertaker is probably the definition of making a shit name work for you.

Best names for me the ones that have the secret little meanings to them like Yokozuna & Paul Bearer. Great when your a kid and find out what those names actually mean so you can be a smart arse with your mates.

• Paid Members

best name for me - Abdullah the Butcher. Gets him over who is he and what he does straight away.

In TNA was it Gunn and James that became VKM in a dig at mcmahon?

It was. I think “officially” it stood for ‘Voodoo Kin Mafia’ or something though.

• Paid Members

What I never understood about the James Gang/VKM was that they just seemed to stop being this awesome tag team who could have great feuds, promos and matches with anyone. They were just awful, and it felt like nobody gave a damn at all about them. Even more mystifying when you consider just how good they've been since they came back to WWE.

• Paid Members

Regarding the earlier post about Justin Credible choosing P.J. Polaco - that wasn't to do with TNA wanting the rights to the name, and wasnt by choice. I believe some kid trademarked the name without his knowledge and demanded money. It resulted in Credible going by "Justin Time" and "PJ Polaco" on the indys for a good while. Anyone else remember this story?

I'd never heard that. The timing seems a bit off though.

I'm talking about the appearance he made as "A Mystery Guy From Raven's Past!" in 2005, when he was still wrestling as Justin Credible on the Indys. (Chris K was the next month). From what I can see the "Justin Time" stuff happened two years later, after he was released from WWE. Surely it's more likely that WWE were claiming the name at that point?

If it was because some random trademarking it then Credible's an absolute idiot*. Trademarking something is worthless if someone else can prove that they were using it before you. I'm fairly sure that registering solely it to try and get money out of him would constitute extortion as well.

*I am aware that Credible likely just didn't give a shit.

What I never understood about the James Gang/VKM was that they just seemed to stop being this awesome tag team who could have great feuds, promos and matches with anyone. They were just awful, and it felt like nobody gave a damn at all about them. Even more mystifying when you consider just how good they've been since they came back to WWE.

Short answer: Russo is a shitty writer.

Long answer: I also quite liked them as The James Gang. They didn't do anything spectacular but they were a solid, midcard babyface team and the act was close enough to The Outlaws to satisfy casual fans without TNA looking like it was ripping off the WWF. It was probably the best role TNA could put them in, really, given they were both apparently pretty fucked up at the time.

VKM was just shit though. From "shooting on the other company" to the ridiculous grandstand challenges to the DX Parody, it was all at least five years out of date. Maybe closer to ten. I suppose it sums it up that, after spending months building a match against Shawn Michaels and Triple H, their first feud was with Christy Hemme.

• Paid Members

You can nose around the TESS and see a small selection of what WWE have had under their belt and what they seem to have let lapse within the data base, although that doesn't mean it's a legit site or some thing is not covered else where obviously.

I don't know how reliable it is mind, might be a load of toss. I hope not though as according to it Christian personally owns the right to the name "Christian Cage" for "Calendars; Decals; Packaging (namely blister cards) Paper pouches for packaging; Photographs; Picture books; Pictures; Plastic bags for packaging; Posters & Souvenir programs concerning sports entertainment"

It also say's WWE filed for a new Cena logo last month, some sort of fist swooping through the air with "Cena" written below it which looks crap.

Archived