TNA Name Changes

Direct Impact

• Paid Members

CM Punk? I know he made his name more in ROH, but TNA was the bigger company at that time, and Punk went on to be one of the most successful WWE wrestlers of the modern era after a brief stint in TNA.

TNA being the bigger company and CM Punk just happening to have worked there does not qualify CM Punk to be considered a "homegrown TNA wrestler." Punk's fairly anonymous run in The Gathering did nothing for his profile whatsoever. Punk got the attention of WWE, and specifically Mick Foley who made the recommendation to pick him up, specifically based upon what he had seen Punk do in ROH and specifically his matches with Joe. Remove CM Punk's run in TNA from his career, and he still gets his initial buzz from his storyline with Raven, becomes more widely known off the back off his series with Joe, and still becomes a star in WWE.

The only thing TNA did to get CM Punk where he ended up was pull their talent from ROH meaning that Punk had more opportunities in ROH than he might have if ROH still had access to AJ Styles and Chris Daniels. They certainly did nothing to help him "grow."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I remember when Sean Waltman re-signed in 2010 and Taz and Tenay just kept calling him "X-Pac" and laughing afterwards, knowing they were keep fucking up. They just found it hard to say "Syxx Pac" naturally when calling his matches. Andrew The Punisher Martin was a shit one. Not as shit as "Test", though, which you can put in the bonus file.

By far the worst is "The Band" instead of the Wolfpac. For several reasons. Hall, Nash and Waltman hated the name. They always took the piss out of it ("Nash, Young ... Cosby, Stills" etc) and Hall would write "Wolfpac" on his t-shirts. And they'd play the Wolfpac theme. It was a big confusing mess. A stable we know as the Wolfpac, who call themselves the Wolfpac, yet the commentators call them the Band. WWE doesn't own the name "Wolfpac" either, so they could have used it. It was so strange. But, true to form, 2/3 of them were sacked after a short while anyway, so it doesn't matter.

• Paid Members

The best thing about the Balls thing is they did the boxing style ring intro for him, and the ring announcer said "Kahoneys" and Balls looked directly into the camera, pulling a disapproving face as the fans booed. Like he was saying "I know ..." Taz (of course), kept calling him "Balls". And fair play to him he said "he's been called Balls for years, I cant help it". It was so mental.

• Paid Members

Didn't TNA go through a phase of insisting that wrestlers permanently gave them the right to use their name? I seem to remember that being why Kanyon wrestled as Chris K and Justin Credible as PJ Palaco when they got brought in for one shots.

Off topic a bit, but am I right in thinking that no homegrown TNA wrestler has ever made a successful transition to the main WWE roster? That's shocking.

Xavier Woods?

• Paid Members

Chris K! Oh shit, all I remember about that was the ring announcer calling him Chris K and Tenay and West calling him Kanyon and Chris K wearing a Mortus jacket and "Who Better than Kanyon" on his tights. So pointless. I love Kanyon, but is owning his name really going to make a difference to your business?

• Paid Members

Now I think about it, I think it's worse for TNA wrestlers going to WWE than the other way round. True, they don't have the name recognition problem, but Braden Walker? Marcus Cor Von?

When did the WWE start giving wrestlers such shit names anyway? I can't recall that being the case in the main part during the 80's or 90's.

Not TNA I know, but Nailz debuted in WCW as 'The Prisoner' didn't he?

Didn't TNA go through a phase of insisting that wrestlers permanently gave them the right to use their name? I seem to remember that being why Kanyon wrestled as Chris K and Justin Credible as PJ Palaco when they got brought in for one shots.

Yeah, this is why Low Ki went by Senshi in the mid 2000's also. 

Now I think about it, I think it's worse for TNA wrestlers going to WWE than the other way round. True, they don't have the name recognition problem, but Braden Walker? Marcus Cor Von?

When did the WWE start giving wrestlers such shit names anyway? I can't recall that being the case in the main part during the 80's or 90's.

Almost all wrestlers ever have had shit names. The WWF didn't often make up name names in the old days, though, they'd just use the name the wrestler was already using and maybe give them a gimmicky nickname around it (Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, ) or instead of it (Mr Perfect, Diesel etc). It seemed like the mid-ninetieswas  when they started doing name names... Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Duke Droese, Henry Godwinn, Rocky Maivia etc. 

Archived