TNA Name Changes

Direct Impact

With the recent release of Alberto Del Rio, I've seen many "gags" along the lines of "Can't wait to see Delberto Al Rio in the impact zone". Got me thinking of WWE superstars who had to change there names to wrestle in TNA. Some people are lucky to compete under there real names, or own the rights to there names or slightly different spelling to WWE names (Taz, Rhino). But some have had to completely change there names. So thought we could collaborate a list. What are good clever name changes, what are poor?

I feel sorry for long term WWE wrestlers who had to come up with completely new names despite loyalty to WWE. Like Billy Gunn when he became "N.I.N" & Kip James.

I think the Dudley Boys name changes were really clever though, really similar to WWE names yet different.

It also makes me cringe when a WWE wrestler shows up, and Taz says "look who it is" sometimes even making reference to WWE yet calling them something totally different.

Any way, what are your thoughts and opinions?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TNA names have often been better than WWE ones, frankly. Generally people get to use their real names (BG James) or choose their own (Senshi).

Off topic a bit, but am I right in thinking that no homegrown TNA wrestler has ever made a successful transition to the main WWE roster? That's shocking.

• Paid Members

TNA names have often been better than WWE ones, frankly. Generally people get to use their real names (BG James) or choose their own (Senshi).

Off topic a bit, but am I right in thinking that no homegrown TNA wrestler has ever made a successful transition to the main WWE roster? That's shocking.

Only one I can think of is R-Truth, but even then he wasn't really "home-grown", having already had a run in the WWF a few years previously.

• Paid Members

See, I wasn't entirely sure about Punk. He wasn't really around in TNA long enough to be a "TNA guy", I felt - no belts, no real push, he just felt like some other promotion's guy just passing through.

Archived