The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Yeah, I'll echo the sentiments that the Wembley card is a little underwhelming. Not in terms of match standards, but in terms of the storylines and characters PROGRESS initially seemed to be built upon. There's very little on that card I'm invested in as a fan. The whole "Three and In" and "Tag Thunderbastard" have really convoluted and muddled up those two matches, having to re-hash the Havoc/Ospreay storyline simply because there wasn't anything else for them to do was a bit "meh" inducing. Andrews and Eddie has been a really well built and convincing rivalry though, and the Pete/Ilja match will be good despite at least half of the fans that'll be there won't know anything about Dragunov or why he's positioned so highly on the card. 

It'll be a good show, but yeah. Nothing on that card really excites me.

I was super excited for this show coming out of SSS16, with the Havoc/Ospreay angle and Zack’s “Wembley, innit” tournament victory. So yeah, it’s falling a little flat for me too, and it’s definitely a card you could easily see just happening in front of 700 people in Camden.  It’ll still have a cool sense of occasion, and could easily be an awesome show, just unfortunately feels a little makeshift.

It’s almost become tradition now that Progress can book an awesome tournament each May, but struggle with the build to the big September show every year.

It's been a tricky one with the two main talking point matches from SSS16 not happening due to NJPW calling. But in the case of Havoc v Ospreay, at least it got to happen sooner rather than later instead. They did say ZSJ will get his title shot as soon as possible. But they turned it into a positive with their 3 And In series over Chapter 74, the US Tour and C75. The other main match, Pete Dunne v Ilja Draganov hasn't had that big a build as you'd think they'd at least get Ilja in at some stage for a match to show those unfamiliar with him what he's like.

The Tag Team Thunderbastard is good because they got extra people on the show without it looking tacked on with the series they did to get the best entry spots. Fair play to whoever came up with that. I think that'll be interesting.

Overall, with more shows than they used to be running and having to work around NXT UK tapings lately, it's clearly been tough for them to pad out the storylines. But we can only hope they can do the best show they can. Any idea of what attendance they're looking at?

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Isn't the capacity something like 12,000? 3,000 won't look good. By any BritWres metric that's an amazing attendance, but it seems they've reached too high with Wembley.

They aren't using the entire arena - the outer ring of seating blocks was never put on sale. The idea was they could release additional blocks as others sell out. The entire floor and central tiered blocks are sold out; plenty left everywhere else.

Edited by Big Benny HG

• 2 weeks later...

Progress don't announce their cards in advance, since they generally eschew imports on their normal shows. Plus since most of their shows sell out, there isn't much need to plug them.

Matches will either be the result of an event at a previous show, or a random collation of whatever talent is free that week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

On my way to Wembley. Card order will be interesting, virtually everything is pretty "big." It's a monster considering battle royal and Thunderbastard,  hope we dont burn out. Especially thinking if Havoc/Robinson and Andrews/Dennis are overkill on the hate/carnage.