The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

I'm not overly upsetby this as I'm not a huge zsj fan don't get me wrong he's incredible just not really what I'm into at the moment.

That being said this has blow it wide open and I'm really interested in seeing who will get that shot and take the main event of wembely.

Who do people predict will take it then? 

I really want havoc, Walter or maybe even zac Gibson to take it but Gibson will be in the tag title match so that one is out 

3 hours ago, gadge said:

So, Three and In got more interesting after last night's midweek chapter. "Midweek Matters", indeed.

Are you referring to

the main event

or have I missed something out from skimming through the results?

Sounded like a great card.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
7 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

So this SSE Arena show - is it going to be worth attending for someone like me who:

- Hasn't been to a Britwres show before
- Hasn't really watched any PROGRESS at all
- Hasn't got any mates that like wrestling so would be going alone (don't think the missus would be up for it either!)

- Yes, there'll be some familiar faces there from NXT/NXT-UK, and it will (should!) have a familiar big show feel

- Yes, there'll be some storylines culminating but most of it can easily be explained in a few sentences (the champion is WALTER and his challenger will be someone who manages to win 3 straight matches before Wembley, the tag belts are currently held by #CCK and they will face the winners of a round-robin tournament which is ongoing, Pete Dunne will face Ilya Dragunov in a battle of Europe's best, Doug Williams is Atlas champion having his last hurrah before retirement), and I'd imagine the show will be structured to be newbie-friendly because there'll be thousands of new fans

- Yes, BritWres fans are very friendly, and there'll be a few organised meet-ups if that's your thing. Otherwise, I'm sure there'll be others on here who are doing the same and wouldn't mind a pint and a chat

3 hours ago, Linus said:

- Yes, there'll be some familiar faces there from NXT/NXT-UK, and it will (should!) have a familiar big show feel

- Yes, there'll be some storylines culminating but most of it can easily be explained in a few sentences (the champion is WALTER and his challenger will be someone who manages to win 3 straight matches before Wembley, the tag belts are currently held by #CCK and they will face the winners of a round-robin tournament which is ongoing, Pete Dunne will face Ilya Dragunov in a battle of Europe's best, Doug Williams is Atlas champion having his last hurrah before retirement), and I'd imagine the show will be structured to be newbie-friendly because there'll be thousands of new fans

- Yes, BritWres fans are very friendly, and there'll be a few organised meet-ups if that's your thing. Otherwise, I'm sure there'll be others on here who are doing the same and wouldn't mind a pint and a chat

Thanks Linus, have checked some stuff out on Youtube - atmosphere's seem good for the most part and the action is decent too, shame ZSJ won't be there who I've heard loads about.

Anyone from here going and doing a UKFF meet up?

I'm still in two minds as to what to do!

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Linus said:

the tag belts are currently held by #CCK and they will face the winners of a round-robin tournament which is ongoing

It's actually a bit more complicated that that.

There is a big 'league' type thing going on at the moment with 8 tag teams. Every team will face every other team once before Wembley, with points going to the winners. The tag titles themselves are on the line during all of the champions' matches in the tournament, as has been seen when CCK won the belts from The Grizzled Young Veterans in a tournament match.

At Wembley, the tag title match is a big 'ThunderBastard' match featuring all of the teams in the tournament, including the champions. A ThunderBastard is PROGRESS' version of a mini-Royal Rumble, with everyone fighting everyone, participants entering at timed intervals (every 5 mins usually, I think) and eliminations occurring by pinfall, submission, KO, etc. The order of entry is decided by the final league standings in the tournament - so, the team that finishes top will enter last etc. Final team standing comes out the champions.

It does seem a bit convoluted to have this big 4-month-long league just to gain a supposed advantage of a few minutes in the big shmozz match, but it does fill out the cards in the run up to Wembley with the pretense of the matches meaning something (which was the big problem PROGRESS had in the run-up to their 'big' show last year - the direction was set and then there were months of 'nothing' shows until the big event).

As for whether you'd enjoy the show as a newbie, I think you would. There will be literally thousands of people in the same boat (I reckon they'll end up doing about 4,000-5,000 on the day - 'normal' PROGRESS shows usually do between about 650 in Camden or Birmingham to 1,000 in Manchester or Sheffield), and the appeal of the show is just as much "come watch this massive celebration of British indie wrestling on a big stage" as it is "come see a PROGRESS show". You'll more than likely have a fair few arseholes in the crowd, but one of the good things is that the size of the place should mean they won't be as noticeable.

Edited by Big Benny HG

On 8/6/2018 at 10:00 AM, Otto Dem Wanz said:

So this SSE Arena show - is it going to be worth attending for someone like me who:

- Hasn't been to a Britwres show before
- Hasn't really watched any PROGRESS at all
- Hasn't got any mates that like wrestling so would be going alone (don't think the missus would be up for it either!)

I'm going to this and it will be my first Progress show, i dont follow much if any of Progress or the Britwres scene.

Very much looking forward to it and will certainly be up for a pint and a natter :)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WestCoastPop619 said:

Anyone care to speculate what progress might have planned for the Saturday afternoon/evening? Of Wembley weekend, as they eluded to having something going on but have yet to announce it. Another show? Q&A? Screening of the doc? 

If you don't mind a trip across London, Pro-Wrestling EVE have a show in Walthamstow on the Saturday night, with Meiko Satomura, Chihiro Hashimoto, Toni Storm, Kay Lee Ray, Hana Kimura, Kris Wolf, Charlie Morgan, and more.

1 hour ago, Linus said:

If you don't mind a trip across London, Pro-Wrestling EVE have a show in Walthamstow on the Saturday night, with Meiko Satomura, Chihiro Hashimoto, Toni Storm, Kay Lee Ray, Hana Kimura, Kris Wolf, Charlie Morgan, and more.

I did see this, and it’s on my radar, I just don’t want to book anything until I know what PROGRESS have in store. Cheers though, will be keeping an eye on the event.

On 8/10/2018 at 5:21 PM, Linus said:

Cheers for this info, I’m a brand new Hana Kimura fan so I’ll be getting tickets to this.

Edit: I’ve just taken a look and they’ve only announced Jordynne Grace, Chihiro Hashimoto, Charlie Morgan, Toni Storm and Kay Lee Ray.

Do you have a link to the other announcements? 

Edited by TildeGuy~!