Embarrassing Fears

John Matrix

I have a massive fear of snakes, which is fairly normal and completely rational, however my behaviour around it can be quite irrational. I don't use the airing cupboard in our house because someone I used to work with once told me her sister found a snake in their airing cupboard, I have no idea if this story is true but it was enough to stop me from using it. I regularly check my bed before getting in it to make sure there isn't a snake in there somehow, and I once heard a story on the radio of a women who found a snake in her house which had come up out of the toilet and that is the sole reason no one is allowed to leave the toilet seat up in my house.

The other one I have is admittedly not a phobia just an intense disliking of, and that's Ketchup. I hate the stuff, it grosses me out massively when people use it. If it's on the table when I'm out eating, I have to get it removed from the table cos it makes me feel ill looking at it, I have to get someone else to move it cos I don't even like touching the bottle. It's a great way to get rid of me in fact, if you have ketchup on your food, I will leave the room.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
:laugh:

I really do love me a good Steve Justice story.

I was about to post the same thing! I know we shouldn't laugh, but him blacking out at a dinosaur roar is just great.

• Paid Members
I'm scared of windows at night too. You know when you turn a room light off and then you can see out of the window a bit? One day there's going to be a face there.

Well this wasn't one of mine. But it probably will be now you've planted the thought in my head.

I have a massive fear of snakes

Snakes are just misunderstood. I've had this lovely bastard for years now and he's one of the friendliest, least vicious pets I've ever had.

IMG_20120814_123025_zps6f66e635.jpg

Dave. Seriously my aunt's Yorkshire terrier is much more aggressive. Little shit, she is (the Yorkie, not my aunt).

I get the ketchup one. I don't have to leave the room or anything but I have to look away when that filth's being used. Stuff's manky and it fucking stinks.

I can't really think of any irrational actual fears. I don't really mind spiders or beetles. I'm not keen but I can relax just fine if there's one on the ceiling when I'm watching telly or something. My fiancee is terrified of anything like that though. We moved into a house last May and it seemed to attract more big spiders than usual over the summer. Many a night I'd hear her scream like she'd just been groped by the icy hand of Jimmy Savile's ghost. Only to find it was just a spider walking along the wall.

I guess my weirdest one isn't a fear. But I never, under any circumstances, eat fruit if it's got/or has had a label on it. I've always been like that and I can't put my finger on why. If there's a bunch of bananas in the kitchen I'll always look for the ones without labels on. If there's only labeled ones left I go without. Same with any fruit. I thought I was totally normal for years but people tell me otherwise. It is a bit odd, I guess. But fuck them fruit labels.

Actually I don't like labels on anything now I think of it. If someone buys me a DVD or something and there's a label on the box, I have to get rid of it. Then I get all pissed off if it leaves a sticky patch on the case.

• Paid Members

I share Pitcos' fear of windows at night. I hate brushing the old teeth, as the sink is right next to the window and I'm convinced that one day some ghoul will be standing there as I'm brushing off the days filth.

I've noticed as I've gotten older I'm becoming claustrophobic. The thought of a tight space causes me to breath heavily, like something is squeezing my chest, so much so I now take stairs whenever I can, for fear the lift will break and I'm stuck there. It's a fun nightmare to wake up from. No idea how this came about, as it's only been the last 5 years where it's been an issue.

Spiders have always been my big fear, which has always been a bit two faced as Spiderman is one of my all time favourite comic book characters

Moths, flies, wasps etc don't really bother me but as soon as I see a spider I freak out, went to the Blue Planet up in Cheshire on my birthday with my mum, sister and nephew and literally ran through the spider exhibition as they have a huge picture of one plastered on the wall

• Paid Members
I share Pitcos' fear of windows at night. I hate brushing the old teeth, as the sink is right next to the window and I'm convinced that one day some ghoul will be standing there as I'm brushing off the days filth.

I'm the opposite. The number of times I walk into the kitchen with the light on at night and my own reflection scares the shit out of me.

• Paid Members

Polystyrene. The feel of it, the texture, when absolute twats rub the fucking stuff together. Also the little noise it makes when you do so, ugh. Fuck that right off. Hate it, try and actively avoid coming into contact with it in any form.

Umbrellas. I always fear they are going to poke me in the eye. Can't stand too near a person with one. They rattle me, it makes my eyes squint and everything.

Mint sauce. It fucking stinks. I'm sorry but it fucking does. The smell does something to me, it absolutely horrible. Mint sauce reminds me of my old man eating lamb every Sunday while he watched the watched F1 in his pants and farted.

Wand, sticking a photo of a snake in a thread where someone says they are scared of them is not cool!! I'm sure they do get a bad rep but I can't help the fact that they make my heat race, I break out in a sweat and I imagine in the right circumstances would make blackout a'la Steve Justice.

Archived