I'll be honest

Kaz Hayashi

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a friend who once convinced me that there was a WWF vs WCW game being made, it would have been not long after Hogan had pissed off to the WCW. It still makes me sad that such a thing never happened, I had a Wrestlefest looking game with a huge vs roster all made up in my head.

I remember seeing Dusty Rhodes wearing a cop hat and holding a nightstick in a promo pic in a copy of WWF magazine or some other publication. He was wearing the polka dot trunks too. For years I thought he'd had a short stint with a cop gimmick. Took me until my 20's to realise it was part of a feud with Bossman.

You know when wrestlers would be in a non-wrestling publication, an interview in the paper or whatever, and the photo caption or headline will say generic wrestling phrase "KING OF THE RING"? I've got at least two friends who would always take that to mean that wrestler had won the WWF King of the Ring tournament.

I remember being told that Steve Austin earned A THOUSAND POUNDS per match and not believing it because I thought it was too much. Bearing in mind that I had no idea about house shows at the time and so thought he only wrestled once a week on Raw.

Austin made 6million in 98. Even when you account for merch royalties, he must have been making way more than a grand for a match even when accounting house shows etc.

I remember being told that Steve Austin earned A THOUSAND POUNDS per match and not believing it because I thought it was too much. Bearing in mind that I had no idea about house shows at the time and so thought he only wrestled once a week on Raw.

Austin made 6million in 98. Even when you account for merch royalties, he must have been making way more than a grand for a match even when accounting house shows etc.

Of course he made more than a grand a match. That's why I admitted thinking otherwise when I was at school.

• Paid Members
Where do the Texas Tornado Ultimate Warrior type rumours come from? It's like the Kel from Kenan and Kel dying... I don't understand how that stuff started and managed to spread so much back before the Internet was around for things to go viral.

You can see why they started, though - when Warrior came back, he was a lot smaller, and Tornado always had that similar look of being relatively ripped, big mullet and tassels on his boots.

• Paid Members

Wasn't just that. Warrior had a full makeover during his time off. He had his teeth done, he wasn't the biggest man on the planet like he'd been every time we saw him previously and had a haircut last seen on Dorian from Birds of a Feather. He just looked so different. Adding to that, he was doing normal interviews in press conferences as if he was a bank manager or some shit. Not yelling or shouting.

Its a misconception he was off steroids due to some policy, though. Warrior wasnt in the best shape because he'd had so much time off and wasnt expected to come back at that time. By SummerSlam he looked jacked up as he had been (singlet or not) and had his old hair back. It came out in depositions that he failed 9 steroid tests in 1992. If they'd have given him fair warning by January that they wanted him back at WrestleMania, he'd have probably returned looking like the 1991 version of the Warrior.

I never believed it was a different bloke, though. I was happy to see him back. Mind you, I was convinced Brian Lee was the real Undertaker when I was 9 and was puzzled how they were going to get around having 2 Undertakers wrestle at SummerSlam.

• Paid Members

I never thought it was a different Warrior, either. I don't think it even crossed my mind. I was way too busy running around a shaking the arms of my sofa, dizzy with excitement to hold up a ruler to the telly measuring his muscles. I never used to notice peoples physiques back then anyway. There's loads of asides in the Observers from around that time making note of who's getting smaller and who appears to be still on, but when I was a kid I didn't notice a thing. I never clocked Big Bossman losing about 80 pounds either.

Archived