WWE Payback 2014 Discussion

The Reverend

Thought I'd start a thread for this Sunday's event. What does everyone think of the card so far which I believe is:

John Cena vs Bray Wyatt (Last Man Standing match)

The Shield vs Evolution (No Holds Barred Elimination match)

Sheamus vs Cesaro (U.S. Title match)

Bad News Barrett vs RVD (I.C. Title match)

Paige vs Alicia Fox (Divas Title)

Daniel Bryan vs Stephanie McMahon (World Title segment)

Personally I'm not fussed. Too much I've seen before. Wyatt vs Cena would've been good if Wyatt had won at WM XXX, they'd missed out Extreme Rules and gone into this with Cena looking for revenge.

The Shield vs Evolution - I think this could be the start of a split for the Shield.

Paige vs Fox - I really hope they keep Paige champion, the girl deserves it but I have this feeling they're going to go with Fox on this one. Especially as they've really pushed her character with her meltdowns.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought I'd start a thread for this Sunday's event. What does everyone think of the card so far which I believe is:

John Cena vs Bray Wyatt (Last Man Standing match)

The Shield vs Evolution (No Holds Barred Elimination match)

Sheamus vs Cesaro (U.S. Title match)

Bad News Barrett vs RVD (I.C. Title match)

Paige vs Alicia Fox (Divas Title)

Daniel Bryan vs Stephanie McMahon (World Title segment)

Personally I'm not fussed. Too much I've seen before. Wyatt vs Cena would've been good if Wyatt had won at WM XXX, they'd missed out Extreme Rules and gone into this with Cena looking for revenge.

The Shield vs Evolution - I think this could be the start of a split for the Shield.

Paige vs Fox - I really hope they keep Paige champion, the girl deserves it but I have this feeling they're going to go with Fox on this one. Especially as they've really pushed her character with her meltdowns.

I dunno, I think adding a quirk to Alicia Fox's character just makes her a credible threat not a champion. They could do a series of matches, Paige takes this one, Alicia could have the next etc.

Terrible card. Every match on it has already taken place within the last five weeks or so. The six-man should be a cracking match, but it's hard to care about it as that feud has been a zombie for the last month. Cena and Wyatt are completely treading water as well.

Sheamus and Cesaro will probably be good, but no different to their last thousand matches. RVD vs Barrett could have been an interesting one, if Van Dam had done anything worthwhile since he came back instead of just losing to everyone (including Barrett already).

Alicia Fox might do something interesting. Hopefully she'll at least rectify the blunder of calling Paige up way too soon and giving her the title. Bryan and Stephanie might do something interesting but probably won't.

That is my interesting, joyous prediction and opinion of Payback right now.

I wouldn't mind a bit of a double turn in the Sheamus/Cesaro match. Don't know how they'd do it, but I'm sick of Sheamus as a boring babyface. The crowd have booed him recent weeks too.

Double turn would be great, would be easy enough to do with Heyman there as well, have him tell Cesaro not to do the swing or something then have Cesaro ignore him, Sheamus gets desperate and accepts Heyman's help, piece of piss plus Cesaro would be face which everyone wants to see and Sheamus will be more interesting than he has been for about 4 years

When Evolution were doing a promo a few weeks ago in this dull feud with The Shield, Triple H talked about beating down each member of The Shield and said that Roman Reigns would be saved for last. This made me think that he might turn on Ambrose and Rollins and join Evolution but I'm not so sure this is going to happen. I do think that something will happen in the match which will lead to a Shield split though.

Overall the card looks okay(ish), but as it's already been pointed out, there's too many rematches of stuff that's already happened in the last few weeks. I'm quite prone to fast-forwarding through matches on Raw or Smackdown if it's a rehash of what's been on the previous episode, so it doesn't really excite me as a fan when this is the case for the majority of the card here. Hopefully it'll be a pleasantly surprising show and things can move on after this as the last few weeks of WWE have been boring as hell to watch. And it'd be nice if the Chicago crowd didn't shit on too much of the card with "CM Punk" chants. If it happens to any match, it'll happen during the Sheamus/Cesaro match for sure I reckon.

I think the worst part of the event is the fact that they're trying to get us to pay for matches that we've already paid for just 4 weeks ago. I'm intrigued by the two main matches though. Cena/Wyatt for the "how is Cena going to keep Wyatt down for the 10 count without duct taping him to the turnbuckle" finish, and the 6 man in general, I can't see a straight win for either group so it'll be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Also being a CM Punk fan, I'm really bored of all the chants and stuff and am not looking forward to Chicago hijacking the show. I wish this whole situation would be put to bed now. Just future endeavour him and be done with it.

I also really want some proper development in the Daniel Bryan situation. From a kayfabe point of view I just think to myself, what makes him so special that he doesn't have to hand over the title when every other babyface had to when they were injured, as Batista and Cena did for example.

Personally I want him to hand over the title, but I don't know who'd be the best person to award it to. Slap it on HHH if he's sticking around full time so that Reigns can take it eventually? I don't know, I can't fantasy book to save my life.

Archived