WWE Payback 2014 Discussion

The Reverend

• Moderators

Your Triple H's of the world will always be seen as a threat. He could challenge Daniel Bryan on Raw tomorrow for a title match at Money and the Bank and people would easily buy him as a legitimate danger to the title. Also in making The Shield super strong last night they've got more chance of making three strong starts from the one unit when the split happens a few months down the line.

Also, you say wrestling is about the baby face overcoming the odds? It's almost as if Cena didn't lose to Bray Wyatt last month because the numbers, the odds, were against him and this time triumphed in a gimmick match which has to have a real winner regardless of shananigans due to his "Never Say Die" character.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where do they go now tho? Wyatts and Evolution have both been made to look shit. Have the faces come through adversity, without making every heel look like a hopeless clown and you have your next feuds. Now the top 6 heels all need heating back up. So you get Bryan vs Kane again, and likely cena vs Wyatt on one of the next 3 raws. Everything is so short sighted.

Sorry, not having it. Disagree that either faction was made to look shite. Bray Wyatt needs reheating only in terms of needing a new feud- he and Cena have been going at it since pre-Wrestlemania and I think they've done everything they can there now without rehashing gimmick matches. Plus, given what Cena needed to do to ultimately put him down at Payback, it's hardly as if he was jobbed out. As far as revealing the Usos so early, I think it was fairly obvious they'd be involved anyway. Besides which, where else could they have been introduced? If anything, making sure the playing field was level from the start made more sense to me than having them make a dramatic save from a run in.

As regards Evolution- can honestly say I'm surprised that all three were pinned without inflicting any losses on the other side, as I at least thought Ambrose might be getting eliminated. But to say they looked weak in the process? No way. It could be made out that arrogance got the better of them, or even their stubbornness in wanting to completely destroy The Shield. But hell, Trips still looked relatively strong even up to the point of him gettingt pinned.

Bit more on topic, thought it was a great PPV and the first one I've watched in a long, long time and genuinely been entertained with every match. My only gripe would be nitpicking in saying that perhaps there was a tiny lack of variety in the two mains. Like I say, minor issue though. Both macthes delivered, IMO, and the undercard was pretty good as well. Count me in on the Hornswoggle/El Torito bandwagon too- barring all the so obvious 'short' jokes, it's been a hugely enjoyable feud.

• Moderators

Also, there's absolutely no shame in losing to the shield under any variation of six man rules. Their whole deal is that as a unit they are next to unbeatable. It's been that way since day one for them.

The arrogant egotistical "Hollywood" heels lose to the hardworking teamwork driven blowjob baby faces. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Also, who would have thought The Shield would become a proper blowjob tag team when they debuted? Great stuff.

Eliminations are best used to have a heel advantage , losing 3-0 in eliminations a complete waste. Shield where already strong, who do they go onto next since they steamrolled evolution. What next?

• Moderators

What should they have done then? Dragged another month out of the feud by having Evolution win this match and it being past it's sell by date next month with a Dave Batista who's not going to actually be around now until Summerslam or whatever?

And PPVs are dead now anyway, quite frankly they can take their time building up a new threat for Summer slam as it's not as if WWE are actually expecting any buys for their next "special event"

Not saying evolution win, but have it go down to Batista and HHH against roman, then have him overcome odds and win.

Would cena , who is more bombproof than HHH, have lost anything by losing against Wyatt last night and creating a credible feud winning heel?

Mitb will be based on the ladder match, we all knew that going in. But After 6 months of people gorging on network content, and running out of things to watch , the ppv/ special event ,should be being better protected. It was exciting, but it was predictable. People only part with their money for so long when it's predictable.

• Moderators

You could have Stephanie McMahon getting bukkaked on a special event, it's still going to get no buys. The product is changing, but now it's changed in a way where they can take a few months building people slowly on PPVs as they don't have to worry about them flopping.

Cena's whole gimmick means he has to win a last man standing match. It's his own thing. Never give up. I don't think Bray Wyatt's any weaker to losing in a competitive match with the biggest star in the industry. If anything it's proved that he's a real player and belongs with the big boys. Cena couldn't lose that match. Babyfaces should never lose big gimmick match feud enders in my eyes. You said yourself Pouch, the sell is in the baby face overcoming the odds. Well, that's what happened, it's what you said should be, so why's it a problem?

Did you enjoy Payback, Louch?

It was exciting, but the endings of the two main matches left me flat. My annoyance at this isn't just based on last night, this sort of things been going on fr years, and I think I'm at my tipping point. This may be the first time in 14 years, sky box problems apart, I dont watch raw. Can't see any feud they can do now that will get me hooked, when the endings are always the same.

Eliminations are best used to have a heel advantage , losing 3-0 in eliminations a complete waste. Shield where already strong, who do they go onto next since they steamrolled evolution. What next?

Erm, it's Money In the Bank next, isn't it? I think I heard that at least, ooh, a few times during Payback.

If I were a fantasy booker, it'd be quite easy to do something with the Shield. Okay, so you're Triple H. You're pissed at losing. You realise you couldn't destroy the Shield yourself, so what do you do? Insert them into the Money In The Bank match with the thinking that they'll destroy themselves. It was established at the Royal Rumble that individually they all want glory and yes, I know they were heels at the time, and yes I know that they've had their collective reconciliation since then. But what happens when you put the opportunity for a title shot in their path again? How will they react? Will the collective win out over potential individual glory? Could old wounds reopen when opportunity arises? Answer? Who knows?

Really, it's not that hard to figure something out.

And they really didn't steam roll Evolution. Get over it already!

• Paid Members

It was exciting

There you go then. What do you care what the future holds or if business is affected? It doesn't affect you. Just sit back and see what they do next. Or watch something else.

It was exciting

There you go then. What do you care what the future holds or if business is affected? It doesn't affect you. Just sit back and see what they do next. Or watch something else.

I care what the future holds,because I want to like their product, but they keep making it harder to do so. I'm not a rating or work rate mark, I want good stories that make me want to tune into the next show and see what happens. When was the last time they left a next show hook that really left anyone desperate for the next show to see where the story goes? With variety of quality tv available elsewhere,it's getting harder and harder to justify giving wwe my time.

Archived