WWE Payback 2014 Discussion

The Reverend

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Cesaro wins MITB which seems likely then they need to use his cash in as his defining moment in becoming a babyface. The cheap cash in won't do him any good, the crowd are already finding it hard to take him as a heel. The whole sportsmanly pre announced cash in and epic match against a top star would set him up nicely as long as his star hasn't burnt out by then.

Payback was like a really good episode of Raw with two PPV matches at the end. The LMS was entertaining as shit and I liked Cena trolling the internet by burying Wyatt under a box. The only issue between the two matches was the similarities of the matches. One a six man that went all over the arena and the other featured six men going all over the arena but they did a good job of making one match story driven and the other one a stunt fest.

Never said anything about Brock being at ringside for Cesaro's matches, that is just stupid.

Agreed. As is the notion of Brock Lesnar disappearing with the WWE title for months on end while Cesaro and Heyman bicker about it.

Well he wouldn't be disappearing. Would be a similar to The Rock was during his title run. Difference is he would have a manager there to keep things ticking over and his absence would be part of his heel character. Brock probably has enough dates left to appear on every two or three Raws for a little while.

It's not like they currently have a champion wrestling on all shows. It's also not very confusing, I don't understand why you two are having such a problem understanding it

• Paid Members

Absolutely fantastic PPV. The two main events were as brutal and engrossing as you will see. Nobody paid for that and didn't get their money's worth.

Cena and Wyatt was terrific. I'm not a big fan of LMS matches as a rule, I thin the standing around while the ref counts ten slowly hurts the flow. This was action packed though and they used the Usos and Harper & Rowan brilliantly to Kill some of the usual deadspots. Couple of hokey moments, like that spot where Harper defended the tope with the table and he was clearly waiting for the spot for ages as the Uso wasn't ready. Some innovative stuff though and enough brutal action from both men that you knew that a loss would hurt no-one in the end.

Wyatt now looks on Cena's level, which is the aim of the feud. That Cena though, eh? Fuck that guy is shit. He can't wrestle. I mean, he only delivers in big PPV matches like every single time. But he's still shit.

The main event was awesome. God I'm going to miss Shield 6-mans when they're gone. Evolution were great in this. Even though Batista looked like a bellend, he was great too. All of his offence was hard hitting and added to the match. So many good spots in this one, it's hard to pick them out but Rollins big dive was obviously the highlight. Loved the finish, with Reigns reaching for Trips leg but being too knackered to even lift it. Superb little touch.

Agree with whoever said that the matches were a bit similar. That added to the live experience though and made the night feel mental. What I find odd is that these two brutal blow-off matches come weeks after Extreme Rules. A PPV they are made for. Anyway, not complaining, this was awesome.

• Paid Members

I thought every match on the card delivered and the show was paced really well. Three hours felt pretty short, in a good way.

Have to give a special mention to that Big E vs Rusev match, which was super fun for a short match. The most I've enjoyed either of these guys to date. From the moment those fellas collided with each other at the start of the match I was hooked.

• Paid Members

I got in from work with the intention of skipping through the filler, but I was surprised I didn't fast forward any of it. As Arch said, it was well paced enough where nothing dragged and it flew by.

The Shield/Evolution match was brilliant and the ending where all three members were quickly pinned was a great way to further push all three up a few levels. After Triple H got pinned it got me thinking about what a great year the bloke has had so far, maybe his best since 2000. Ever since Punk pissed off and he dropped the rubbish tweener role, he's been working his arse off trying to get the young lads over.

I enjoyed the Cena/Wyatt match, just carnage. The other blokes nearly managed to fuck it up with some poorly timed spots, but it worked out in the end.

Cesaro/Sheamus are incapable of having a bad match with each other. Both are great.

• Paid Members

Echo what everyone else has said about it being a strong showing.

Reigns really needs to keep the flak jacket, he didn't look that ripped And lost a bit of aura once it was off, although it was almost like they were deliberately not showing his chest at times.

It's also not very confusing, I don't understand why you two are having such a problem understanding it

Maxwell, nobody's having a hard time understanding it. It's just a shit idea. The reality of the situation is that Lesnar can either hold the belt for no more than a month or so, or he can disappear with it for months. The former of those is more likely, and a month of Lesnar as champion doesn't allow time to build your "eventual" turn of Cesaro without it being incredibly condensed and weak. The Rock's title run had him defend it a grand total of two times, which isn't many to develop a storyline where he has a little mate who may or may not cash in a Money in the Bank case on him every time he wrestles. It's just a shit idea. It could work in Total Extreme Wrestling maybe where you can contract Lesnar full-time, give that a go. If WWE do it, it's a very short-term story, not one that plays out over months.

Reigns really needs to keep the flak jacket, he didn't look that ripped And lost a bit of aura once it was off, although it was almost like they were deliberately not showing his chest at times.

I thought the exact same thing, but I put it down to having seen a photo of him a few days before that someone had posted mocking his physique without the vest on. He's got a bit of a Samoan torso.

• Paid Members
. Be it cena, bryan, shaemus, the shield - they all ignore selling and win too often too easily.

Er, what now?

Main event was great. However, the highlight was Jerry Lawler telling the Winston Churchill/Nancy Astor story (poison in tea) and thinking it was Churchill and Thatcher.

If you don't notice Daniel Bryan's lack of selling, particularly after a match, you're not paying attention. He'll often forget he had a broken shoulder five minutes previous or whatever. I wouldn't include The Shield in that same category though, they're usually pretty good at selling having just gone through a war.

It could work in Total Extreme Wrestling maybe where you can contract Lesnar full-time, give that a go. If WWE do it, it's a very short-term story, not one that plays out over months.

I would be Cesaro has an unknown injury and has been on the shelf for 6 months. Got him training people down in NXT I till he is back

Archived