Worst Debut Ever?

TheShowOff

Tito Ortiz debuting for TNA has to be up there surely? Zero crowd reaction, half-arsed sell-job by the commentators and an even worse reaction by the wrestlers. Tito also looked completely out of place, and had the least menacing presence ever. Just pure shit on every single possible level

When Ken Anderson pulling funny faces is the highlight of the debut, you know it's awful

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

technically that wasn't Ortiz' TNA debut, but yes, it did suck.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Nathan Jones? Didn't they have to go back and film it again in front of the same audience cause he blew the initial spot?

• Paid Members
From what I remember, I think Kurt Angles WWE debut was quite flat.

I think it was because he came out as an olympic hero but was quite cocky, so the fans didnt know if they should be cheering or booing.

Thank Christ he got on the mic during the match and removed all doubt, eh?

I think it was because he came out as an olympic hero but was quite cocky, so the fans didnt know if they should be cheering or booing.

Kurt angles debut was great. That had an American Olympic hero come out after loads of vignettes showing how much of a patriot he was and he still managed to turn heel and have the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. Very successful in my opinion.

Kurt angles debut was great. That had an American Olympic hero come out after loads of vignettes showing how much of a patriot he was and he still managed to turn heel and have the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. Very successful in my opinion.

Just watched the match on Daily motion, and you guys are right, I think the fans were quiet to start with but then Kurt gets on the mic saying 'you do not booo an olympic gold medalist' and the crowd start booing the shit out of him.

• Paid Members
Nathan Jones in ring debut was fairly shit alright.Probably not helped by wrestling Bill DeMott and not some fast bumping lad like Funaki though.

To be fair to DeMott he had Goldbergs debut match on Nitro and put him over really well, could have done the same for Jones had he/the office been so inclined.

Regal is better at TV wrestling now than he used to be. He improved a lot during that long lay-off he had when he took a funny turn in 2003, and over the last five years or so, he can still have a little cracker with the right opponent. He had a match with Orton in London at one point that must only have been about four or five minutes tops, and it was great. I think the Eugene story has been WWE's best use of Regal. If they could've done that same kind of thing (Regal as the comedy buffoon who occasionally gets serious and has a heated match with a cruel baddie) more, I'd have enjoyed it. When he got suspended in 2008, he came back proper serious and boring and wearing a bad swimming costume. I would love to see him still be a regular TV character though, that's where his strength lies rather than wrestling matches.

Yeah, I loved Kurt Angle's debut. I'd not been impressed with his build-up vignettes (because amateur wrestling, like all American real sport and all real sport anywhere, is boring and rubbish), but I was sold on him as soon as he started talking in the arena.

I want expecting to have to watch that match for myself. I was hoping for an amusing review of how shit it was. Nevertheless.. Does anyone know what it was that made management lose faith in him?

Tensai? Just being complete and utter crap, surely. They put him in main events, they had him beat John Cena and CM Punk, and he threw it in their faces by being so shit. He's in a much more suitable role now.

• Moderators
GLACIER~ had the Gabbo build-up, but I can't remember his actual debut. Any good?

He beat Boss Man in three minutes on Nitro with a weak looking Cryonic kick. Nobody seemed to give a shit.

He actually debuted on {PRO} a few weeks before his Nitro appaearance beating a no mark. What debut to pay off months of vignettes.

• Paid Members

Brian Adams debut in WCW was pretty shocking thinking back. He interrupts a Bret Hart promo seemingly as a babyface, turns heel about 6 seconds later, then joins the nWo and then gets loses his heat by the nWo getting the shit kicked out of them. That could have arguably been dragged out over a period of a month.

But instead it went: alright mate, put it there, smack, 4 life braddah, oof my nose, start the car Hulk.

• Paid Members
He actually debuted on {PRO} a few weeks before his Nitro appaearance beating a no mark. What debut to pay off months of vignettes.

After checking, you're right - eight days before the Bubba match, against The Gambler of "saving Chris Jericho's WCW career" fame.

And look where you can see it!

http://www.wwe.com/videos/glacier-vs-the-g...8-1996-26009638

After checking, you're right - eight days before the Bubba match, against The Gambler of "saving Chris Jericho's WCW career" fame.

And look where you can see it!

http://www.wwe.com/videos/glacier-vs-the-g...8-1996-26009638

not an ad for coke at all...

technically that wasn't Ortiz' TNA debut, but yes, it did suck.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Nathan Jones? Didn't they have to go back and film it again in front of the same audience cause he blew the initial spot?

when people say Nathan jones I cant help but hear

I prefer the original Supreme's version but yeah when ever I heard that song I think of him...

• Moderators
I want expecting to have to watch that match for myself. I was hoping for an amusing review of how shit it was. Nevertheless.. Does anyone know what it was that made management lose faith in him?

Tensai? Just being complete and utter crap, surely. They put him in main events, they had him beat John Cena and CM Punk, and he threw it in their faces by being so shit. He's in a much more suitable role now.

Ah sorry no. I meant Kizarny.

Tensai had a fair shake of the stick and, as you say, wound up back in a more suitable position on the card.

Kizarny just kinda disappeared so I figured there must be a story there.

Archived