Worst Debut Ever?

TheShowOff

Brian Adams debut in WCW was pretty shocking thinking back. He interrupts a Bret Hart promo seemingly as a babyface, turns heel about 6 seconds later, then joins the nWo and then gets loses his heat by the nWo getting the shit kicked out of them. That could have arguably been dragged out over a period of a month.

But instead it went: alright mate, put it there, smack, 4 life braddah, oof my nose, start the car Hulk.

I'll take his debut in WCW and raise you with Kroniks debut in the WWE

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Adams debut in WCW was pretty shocking thinking back. He interrupts a Bret Hart promo seemingly as a babyface, turns heel about 6 seconds later, then joins the nWo and then gets loses his heat by the nWo getting the shit kicked out of them. That could have arguably been dragged out over a period of a month.

But instead it went: alright mate, put it there, smack, 4 life braddah, oof my nose, start the car Hulk.

I'll take his debut in WCW and raise you with Kroniks debut in the WWE

Didn't Kronik debut strong in a couple of segments on TV? I know their first match wasn't great, but the debut was handled pretty well from what i remember.

• Paid Members

For me it was because they looked cool, had green lasers accompanying them to ringside and they looked like they could batter the main eventers. And Crush was in them. That was back when I was still looking at things logically. Like how anyone could think the Hardy Boyz were better than Kronik, because of the size difference. They were great in WCW. The resident hardcases. I dont blame them at all for their WWE run. Undertaker was fat, Kane was Kane and Kronik weren't likely to carry anyone. Kronik hadn't worked in about 6 months and they got dragged from eating nightly fish lots on Time Warner deals to being shoved in a top angle on PPV. They needed some time to get back in the groove and Undertaker and Kane were just as shit at the time. Sure, Kronik weren't exactly the best workers in the world, but they could have had a passable match with Taker and Kane if everyone was so off the pace at the time.

I do blame Brian Adams for letting his pride get to him. They wanted them to go to developmental to work on their timing and ring shape and he got upset and left. They would never have fired Crush, with Undertaker there. Everyone likes Crush. If they'd have went to developmental, they'd have fit in well in 2002, when it was nostalgia city. Once Adams walked, they were left with Adam Bomb, who nobody liked. So he didn't last long.

Kronik's debut in the WWF also led to their quite brilliant SmackDown match against Kaientai, that I disappointingly can't seem to find. Best tag team squash in years. TAKA and Funaki bumped around for them like there was no tomorrow, and made them look like killers.

• Paid Members
Adam Bomb, who nobody liked. So he didn't last long.

:( I thought Adam Bomb was cool as fuck back in 1993. Didn't think Johnny Polo was a good match for him, mind.

What about Man Mountain Rock then? I remember some pretty cool vignettes and a decent entrance for the time, but no feuds and he petered out soon enough.

• Paid Members

See, I thought Adam Bomb was cool as fuck in 1995. He could throw himself around with pescados and his awesome top rope clothesline to add to his power game, every 1995 show I've watched lately the fans seem to love him, he always remembered to work the crowd, his music was cool, his mushroom cloud pyro was cool, and the addition of that little foam missile gimmick that he could lob into the crowd seemed to be the cherry on the icing on the cake. When it became clear to me that Razor wasn't getting the Intercontinental belt back from Double J, I was dying for Adam to get the next shot, I was convinced he'd make a great popular Intercontinental champ.

MMR had painkiller problems. He did get in a mini-feud with Bob Backlund before he was released.

For me it was because they looked cool, had green lasers accompanying them to ringside and they looked like they could batter the main eventers. And Crush was in them. That was back when I was still looking at things logically. Like how anyone could think the Hardy Boyz were better than Kronik, because of the size difference. They were great in WCW. The resident hardcases. I dont blame them at all for their WWE run. Undertaker was fat, Kane was Kane and Kronik weren't likely to carry anyone. Kronik hadn't worked in about 6 months and they got dragged from eating nightly fish lots on Time Warner deals to being shoved in a top angle on PPV. They needed some time to get back in the groove and Undertaker and Kane were just as shit at the time. Sure, Kronik weren't exactly the best workers in the world, but they could have had a passable match with Taker and Kane if everyone was so off the pace at the time.

I do blame Brian Adams for letting his pride get to him. They wanted them to go to developmental to work on their timing and ring shape and he got upset and left. They would never have fired Crush, with Undertaker there. Everyone likes Crush. If they'd have went to developmental, they'd have fit in well in 2002, when it was nostalgia city. Once Adams walked, they were left with Adam Bomb, who nobody liked. So he didn't last long.

It was actually Bryan Clarke who walked out - Adams stuck around as a trainer in HWA for a while and was eventually let go. Clarke was/is still bitter about the whole thing in his shoot...

• Paid Members

I thought I was talking jiggerish as I was writing that post. My mind is so fuzzy of that period, that I forgot who was fired first. This makes so much more sense. Fucking daft cunt Clarke ruining Kronik's chances at stardom. What a dumbo. No wonder everyone thinks he's a cunt. Who gets their gimmick name tattooed on their arm?

Probably for the best now I think about it. I imagine Kronik would have went the way of Curt Hennig and the renewed Big Boss Man push in 2002 when the nWo showed up. I'd have put Boss Man and Kronik together. They could have been a really poor version of the Shield. You could have had Kronik giving beatings to people in the Hardcore division and have Boss Man come out and get the win.

Clarke was bitter about everything in his shoot interview. I don't think I've ever seen anyone carrying as much of a grudge about their entire career. Well, apart from the CM Punk documentary.

Edit: Am I imagining this as well, or did Kronik in WCW do a total rip-off of the APA's gimmick?

• Paid Members
Clarke was bitter about everything in his shoot interview. I don't think I've ever seen anyone carrying as much of a grudge about their entire career. Well, apart from the CM Punk documentary.

Edit: Am I imagining this as well, or did Kronik in WCW do a total rip-off of the APA's gimmick?

Yes, just with weed instead of beer. I thought WCW Kronik were a real bright spot in the last year or so.

Archived