Worst Debut Ever?

TheShowOff

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remember his debut against Droz? Terrible.

I didn't realise he had wrestled in WWF 1998 while not the Real Man's Man character?

What about Kenzo Susuki against Billy Gunn I think at some Smackdown PPV in 2004 - he was crap - with him, Mordecai and Luther Reigns, that was really a terrible New Talent Initiative for Smackdown in 2004...

Mark Haskins debut was underwhelming in the extreme.

Maybe my memories fail me, but wasn't the feud between Trinity and Traci Brooks built up to debut two new exciting tag teams, and then it was just Phi Delta Slam and The Harris Brothers?

Hey, I popped.

Mordecai's debut against Scotty 2 Hotty has to be up there as well.

Was that Great American Bash 2004? with Kenzo Suzuki debuting against Bob Holly the same night? God knows why they thought anyone would pay to see what was obviously going to be 2 squashes plus I doubt the main event drew fuck all, I'm amazed that isn't one of their lowest drawing PPV's ever (it might be to be fair)

EDIT: Beaten to it by jm29195, and he was more accurate

• Paid Members
GLACIER~ had the Gabbo build-up, but I can't remember his actual debut. Any good?

He beat Boss Man in three minutes on Nitro with a weak looking Cryonic kick. Nobody seemed to give a shit.

I didn't realise he had wrestled in WWF 1998 while not the Real Man's Man character?

It was literally just that one match on TV.

• Paid Members

Kanyon's book has the full story on Glacier and the Blood Runs Cold angle. Funny its been brought up, because I was only just reading it. They spent $250,000 on the costumes and the machines to give the snow effects in the arena for the entrances. Every part of their outfits was measured to fit. They invested so much money into it, because Bischoff had planned to tap into the Mortal Combat/Power Rangers craze. He wanted a martial arts division with whacky characters like Sub Zero. Kevin Sullivan hated it, though. And he especially hated James Mitchell, who he thought was ripping him off. When he came to WCW Sullivan basically told him to his face "no more devil shit".

Bischoff had privately built them up to the point that Glacier and Kanyon went to a KISS concert and Glacier turned to Kanyon and said "a year from now, we wont be able to come here without getting mobbed". This was in July 1996. Obviously, another angle was about to take off.

When the Hogan heel turn happened Kanyon had this to say in his book:

I turned to Glacier, shocked at what I’d seen. “There goes our push,” I said.

He wasn't wrong.

Mordecai's debut against Scotty 2 Hotty has to be up there as well.

Was that Great American Bash 2004? with Kenzo Suzuki debuting against Bob Holly the same night? God knows why they thought anyone would pay to see what was obviously going to be 2 squashes plus I doubt the main event drew fuck all, I'm amazed that isn't one of their lowest drawing PPV's ever (it might be to be fair)

EDIT: Beaten to it by jm29195, and he was more accurate

Just looked at the GAB 2004 Card and apart from those 2 matches they also had Luther Reigns debuting against Charlie Haas, what a show!

Looking at the other posts here though, I have got to think Kizarny is the worst one for build up and what they then did with him.

Also felt sorry for Scotty Goldman/Colt Cabana - must've known the writing was on the wall when he debuted and lost with no promotion...

Again not a debut but a return, William Regal's debut as, erm, William Regal was shite from what I remember

They just came back from an ad break with him sat in the ring with a load of posh tables and cutlery then he did his generic snob promo, never understood why WCW and WWE to begin with wanted him to play a poncey snobbish character when his best in ring stuff is when he's aggressive as fuck

Because Regal is far more interesting as a character than he ever was as a wrestler. His 2000-2001 run was the best of his career. As a character, he's sensational. The fact they had to play down his return was more to do with the fact they had previously built him up with a load of vignettes in his previous run in WWF and he was completely useless. Regal was lucky to have a job in 2000.

Pitcos and TheShowOff have nailed it, though. RVD's debut still has to be seen to be believed. And Bray Wyatt's in ring debut was one of the worst PPV matches ever. Maybe the Yeti might have outdone them if you really want to stretch it though.

Yeah, needlessly adding more to this, Regal himself admits that he doesn't really suit TV wrestling all that much but he's clearly got his head on right when it comes to comic timing and facial expressions and so forth.

Again not a debut but a return, William Regal's debut as, erm, William Regal was shite from what I remember

They just came back from an ad break with him sat in the ring with a load of posh tables and cutlery then he did his generic snob promo, never understood why WCW and WWE to begin with wanted him to play a poncey snobbish character when his best in ring stuff is when he's aggressive as fuck

Because Regal is far more interesting as a character than he ever was as a wrestler. His 2000-2001 run was the best of his career. As a character, he's sensational. The fact they had to play down his return was more to do with the fact they had previously built him up with a load of vignettes in his previous run in WWF and he was completely useless. Regal was lucky to have a job in 2000.

Pitcos and TheShowOff have nailed it, though. RVD's debut still has to be seen to be believed. And Bray Wyatt's in ring debut was one of the worst PPV matches ever. Maybe the Yeti might have outdone them if you really want to stretch it though.

Yeah, needlessly adding more to this, Regal himself admits that he doesn't really suit TV wrestling all that much but he's clearly got his head on right when it comes to comic timing and facial expressions and so forth.

It's the short TV matches he doesn't like - would've loved to see him get some long PPV matches in WWE but alas it wasn't to be - loved his Spanky/London matches in 2006 and ones with CM Punk in 2008/09 though, and the always awesome series with Finlay and Benoit...

Dustin Rhodes in WCW as Seven, loads of vignettes which made him look like a paedo or summin, he comes out and starts shooting on the creative saying stuff like they got me dressed like Uncle Fester.

Made me laugh at least.

It's the short TV matches he doesn't like - would've loved to see him get some long PPV matches in WWE but alas it wasn't to be - loved his Spanky/London matches in 2006 and ones with CM Punk in 2008/09 though, and the always awesome series with Finlay and Benoit...

Yeah, but if you can't work the short matches right you're not gonna get the long matches.

If this sounds like I'm slagging Regal off I'm not, I love him as much as the next fella.

Archived