Worst Debut Ever?

TheShowOff

People always talk about the best debut, but what do you consider some of the worst?

For my money, nothing beats RVD's TNA debut. He hadn't wrestled in a major American promotion in three years and was considered a hot free agent. So he debuts in TNA and as soon as his name appears on the big screen the fans pop. From there, he sneaks into the ring and blindsides Sting which defies babyface logic and scores a quick pin after a rolling thunder. From there, Sting proceeds to beat the shit out of him for what seemed forever. Hogan comes down and Sting topples him too. The end of the segment was all about Hogan / Sting and Hogan being helped out. RVD was an after thought, last seen laying dead in the ring.

Surely somebody realised this was beyond shit? I can't even remember what RVD did next, all I remember was that God awful debut.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again not a debut but a return, William Regal's debut as, erm, William Regal was shite from what I remember

They just came back from an ad break with him sat in the ring with a load of posh tables and cutlery then he did his generic snob promo, never understood why WCW and WWE to begin with wanted him to play a poncey snobbish character when his best in ring stuff is when he's aggressive as fuck

• Paid Members
Trytan in TNA. They gave him the big mysterious Gabbo build up, and then that lanky useless streak of piss wandered out on the night. Loser.

I badly want this to enter common UKFF vernacular for describing anybody receiving similar hype.

• Paid Members
Again not a debut but a return, William Regal's debut as, erm, William Regal was shite from what I remember

They just came back from an ad break with him sat in the ring with a load of posh tables and cutlery then he did his generic snob promo, never understood why WCW and WWE to begin with wanted him to play a poncey snobbish character when his best in ring stuff is when he's aggressive as fuck

Because Regal is far more interesting as a character than he ever was as a wrestler. His 2000-2001 run was the best of his career. As a character, he's sensational. The fact they had to play down his return was more to do with the fact they had previously built him up with a load of vignettes in his previous run in WWF and he was completely useless. Regal was lucky to have a job in 2000.

Pitcos and TheShowOff have nailed it, though. RVD's debut still has to be seen to be believed. And Bray Wyatt's in ring debut was one of the worst PPV matches ever. Maybe the Yeti might have outdone them if you really want to stretch it though.

Archived