Smackdown Discussion Thread

I never saw Edge as cool, quite the opposite. I can see that he was trying to play the cool guy but it never worked and he seemed like a nerd trying too hard, possibly my least fav main eventer of his era.

AJ's a weird one as he can come across as cool but also a right fucking geek, the one hole in his game right now it not cementing a side.

I'd agree with this. Outside of his original title win/celebration etc... I never enjoyed his main event work.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See in this age I don't think AJ needs to 'pick a side'. No matter what he does a lot of fans will cheer for him simply because he's AJ styles. If anything with Smackdown's roster being so thin it's useful to have a guy who can play both sides at the same time.

He's not just better than the Heels, he's not just better than the faces. He's better than everyone and you're either with him or against him. I think he's the perfect guy for that role.

I'll concede to this with how the current product is, and because AJ can pull off both sides so damn well.

I actually thought Edge was a great heel and terrible main event face. He was about the only person who could get boo'd opposite Cena. That stuff he did with Lita and against Cena was some of the highlights of the past 10 years. Gave Undertaker his best Wrestlemania match outside of HHH/HBK. But he wasn't a very good main event face imo. 

Smackdown is such a superior wrestling show to RAW right now it's unreal.

They don't do anything flashy, they just put on a solid two hours where they give virtually everyone they've got some sort of storyline to run with and give you a reason to tune in next week. Wrestling is a lot simpler than WWE make it sometimes.

Hope it wins in the ratings again. Cracking Cena/Styles promo in particular.

• Paid Members

Ooh, heel Ziggles?

Apart from that lame backstage Ellsworth and Carmella shit, everything on this show had a purpose, drove forward a storyline and mattered. Very tight writing and we'll delivered matches and promos. Plus a big title change to make it feel epic.

What the fuck does Rhyno look like though? He looks like a Dandy character.

• Paid Members

Are they teaming Rhyno with Mojo while Ryder and Slater are injured or what? I like that Ziggler's turned heel, but a little dismayed that doing so got him the biggest pop he's had in ages. Another good show. Miz, and Corbin are the best heels in the company at the moment, at least in terms of the main roster. Styles and Cena will be a great match at the Rumble again. I didn't see that ending to the main event, but am intrigued to see where the Miz/Ambrose storyline goes from here and that's the main difference between Smackdown & Raw, I think. You want to see where each storyline goes, whereas on Raw there's not as much intrigue. Will Charlotte win on PPV? Probably, but then she'll spend the month jobbing on free TV so why bother? I don't get why Taker's turning up on Raw when he declared Smackdown his home, but then being the real estate tycoon he is, he's likely used to having more than one home. That or somebody isn't happy that the "B-show" is doing better in the ratings.

• Paid Members

Another great Smackdown, that. Enjoyed the Miz/Ambrose storyline all throughout the show and thought the match was good, I've got no problem with Ambrose taking the belt either as Miz should be great value in trying to get it back.

Corbin vs Ziggler was another fine match and at least we may get something different out of Ziggler now. Hopefully a new attitude means a new attire and no more Motley Crue-esque cosplaying. 

AJ and Cena were great again and Corbin continued to look like a star. Looking forwards to him vs Cena next week. AJ's mic work being so good still blows my mind after watching him struggle in TNA for so long.

Also, loved CarmEllsworth! Just a logical storyline for both of them and probably the best use of Ellsworth they could have now the AJ/Ambrose stuff is wrapped up.

Only problems I had with this show; how fucking bad was that interviewer with Ambrose? She had one line and fucked it up around 3 times...

And as much as I love American Alpha, seeing the Fashion Police beat that quickly makes me upset. I still think they've got a lot of potential as a goofy yet legitimate tag team - remind me of Edge and Christian when they were knocking around with Angle.

• Paid Members

AJ and Cena were great again and Corbin continued to look like a star. Looking forwards to him vs Cena next week. AJ's mic work being so good still blows my mind after watching him struggle in TNA for so long.

Some will benefit from scripted promos, AJ being one I suspect.

Love this show, they've really hit their stride creatively. 

Ziggler going heel is something that's needed to happen for a while and he went out as a blue-eyes in a really good way with the typical Ziggler-from-underneath match with the ideal opponent. Apollo Crews came off the best he has so far in that confrontation with Ziggler, Corbin is just a joy to see develop. I think he needs a haircut, shaved head. I think he'd be money. His look's better now than it used to be, no longer has the khaki-pissedpants look and they've covered up his weird tum that looks like a face with a cool vest that could easily sell

Miz kicked arse on Talking Smack again, he was seething. even their talk show kinda puts Raw to shame most of the time. Bryan and Rene are so funny together and so easy to watch. Imagine if Foley was doing Talking Raw every week with that new gormless looking bird everyone bullies and trying to crack dirty jokes. Rene could be a great character, well she already is really. She's one of the few presenters they have who shows any real personality and she's just really good at her job. She's also absolutely beautiful but in an understated more relatable manner - Maryse is a terrific like mini-feud for her to have. I also enjoyed her as a commentator in NXT, so yeah I hope ESPN or somewhere don't try and steal her away. 

Simply a cracking show.

The Miz,Maryse,Rene and Ambrose stuff was great all night.

Cena and AJ was top class and they made Corbin look a star again.

They even picked the perfect foil for Zigglers heel turn.

Every segment seems to mean something and each match has a purpose. Just a really, really good show.

It's worlds apart from Monday night bore

Archived