Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment I'm treating it like when HBK was taunting the Montreal crowd and hinting Bret Hart would come out and he didn't. I don't think it's gonna happen. It felt like a shoot-y type thing; "the fans who think they're in the know have been talking about that potential match for years, let's just tease it to wind them up." They've done it plenty of times before.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

At the moment I'm treating it like when HBK was taunting the Montreal crowd and hinting Bret Hart would come out and he didn't. I don't think it's gonna happen. It felt like a shoot-y type thing; "the fans who think they're in the know have been talking about that potential match for years, let's just tease it to wind them up." They've done it plenty of times before.

Difference being that was designed to get heat on Shawn on the night. Doubt they'd want to make Cena look a prick for teasing that match ahead of Mania and then for whatever his match ends up being to take place in front of booming chants of "WE WANT TAKER"

55 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Difference being that was designed to get heat on Shawn on the night. Doubt they'd want to make Cena look a prick for teasing that match ahead of Mania and then for whatever his match ends up being to take place in front of booming chants of "WE WANT TAKER"

Complete fantasy booking moment here, but just went through my mind that Cena ends up elsewhere on the card, or potentially not on it at all but somehow gets himself involved.  Whilst something is going on, lights go down, gong sounds and Taker comes out to set up a match for next year's event.  It wouldn't be the first time they have taken a long run at something like that, and potentially gives Taker a year to get in tip top shape to headline WM for his retirement match.

You could even potentially use a Cena (partial) heel turn in there, especially over the next few weeks as he could get more and more desperate to make the card before finally going a step too far, and have him about to whack AJ with a chair or something, with Taker's appearance stopping him.

It would give Taker longer to get ready (assuming he's not in the best shape now, which may not be the case), but would also given them the time to build the match properly with the focus it requires.  Have it as Taker trying to keep Cena as the good guy, rather than turning his back on things - but still getting a bit of mileage in a Cena heel run to see if it would work.

Like I said, complete fantasy booking that will never come about, but could be an interesting way to go about it.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Yep that's a fair point! More fantasy booking as above - Cena realises his career has suffered ever since he got engaged to Nikki Bella, and he dumps her in public live at Wrestlemania. Heh. He'd probably get cheered for it :/ 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Apart from the title match I have no idea what will happen on the Smackdown side for Mania, I'm sure it will come clearer after Fast lane, I can see Owens/Zayn happening though.

I  really hope not. We’ve already seen that a billion times, and they’re so much more interesting together right now.

Owens & Zayn challenging the Usos, for me. (But per one of your other points, realistically that has the New Day & Bludgeon Brothers added to it)

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

Yeah, it's really not the same thing at all.

I'm interested to see if Cena "snaps" after losing at Fast Lane. I assume they're going to play up that he's proper desperate and will do anything to get his match with Undertaker - again, fuck off Kane. Be kind of weak if 'Taker just shows up because Cena won't get a pay day.

I'm with tiger rick that while this is a welcome addition to WM, it doesn't half feel 5 years too late. Not only because of The Streak, but also because 'Taker could do his sit up without his knee, hip and hairline breaking.

• Paid Members

It really should have happened a long time ago indeed. Every year though, they seemed to have something bigger that they wanted to achieve. 27 and 28 Taker had HHH. 28 and 29 Cena had the Rock. Mania 30 Taker had Lesnar. 31 was probably the time it could have matched up, but 31 didn't seem to need that match, and there seemed to be a lot of uncertainty about whether or not The Deadman would be back that year, so they went full bore on the Rusev Vs Cena angle. 

The match has lost a lot of it's lustre now, especially as I expect there won't be anything on the line. Undertaker Vs Cena, with the streak/career Vs the title would have been pretty damn right huge if it had ever been the right timing. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Dart said:

If Cena wants to get a match at Mania so badly why doesn't he just issue an open challenge.  I'm sure there's plenty who would want a match with Cena at Mania to elevate themselves and I'm sure the GMs would approve.

Stop being logical!!

But isn't the point there that competition is so high to get on the card, that they won't just let any old shit on? (I know...lol)

I like the story, but I'm hoping it doesn't just transition into a regular feud once he gets his match.

If I was booking it, I'd have Cena lose at Fastlane and then cut a promo on Raw looking all sad and broken and have that broken up by Undertaker's dong (ooh err). The next week Cena comes out all jazzed up, happy and eager to get the ball rolling only for old Vinnie Mac to POWER WALK his way to the ring. Vince says that at 71 there's a reason he's not on TV any more, and that's because WWE is no place for old men. This is the era of change, of revolution, of NXT etc (They'll have to think of a way of Vince being okay with HHH competing at Mania: either don't mention it or 'Paul has his own deal, which i'll talk to him about but...')

Have Vince say that the only way he'll sanction Cena/Taker at Mania (as 2 'free agents' it's not within the purview of any of the GM's so needs his tick) is if they agree that the loser goes home...for good. Cue Cena's conflicted face, before he finally blurts out 'I ACCEPT'.

Given Cena's strengths as a performer, I think he could have fun with an angle where even though he's got what he wants it's a massively poisoned chalice.

Plus, I think there's fun to had in a Cena-bares-all type promo where he says 'I know what people think of me. I know I'll never get the grand retirement, the fanfare. I know I won't be remembered fondly by everyone, and won't be cheered if I ever get into the HOF... but there are people that love me. Who I do this for. And if I end The Undertaker's career, then they'll hate me too. If I win, I lose everything'

Basically, if Taker's done, I'd like the story to centre around the magnitude of that and how that affects everyone. Roman Reigns, for as good as he is, did not play the conflicted hero well... he just did 'exacerbated at Undertaker not going away yet... happy at beating him'. The spirit of Flair/HBK should be mined for this, I think.

Though, I'm such a cunt, I'd book Cena to lose, thwarted by his own mixed emotions and unable to pull the trigger on The Undertaker. He'd be back by Summerslam, like, but that could be really fun.

Would rob The Undertaker of his grand retirement, though, which doesn't seem fair...

• Paid Members

I want Cena to beat him cheating then give him a pasting with a chair so bad it makes Austin on Rock at Mania XVII look like a lingerie pillow fight. Give him a little heel run before it's too late, foil for some babyface who needs a rub before SummerSlam. Rollins or Balor for instance. Or in my dreams, Gargano.

I tell you what, if there ever was a desire to turn him heel, is there a better opportunity? He retires Undertaker clean, Undertaker is doing his grand goodbye centre stage of everyone’s attention and in pops Cena and beats the fuck out of him.

Problem is, the sort of tit that goes to Mania these days will definitely cheer that..

Archived