The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Having the Broken gimmick in WWEs hand is a guaranteed recipe for failure unfortunately. It worked in Impact because they gave Matt the ball and he ran with it. They also let him develop it and with WWE there's a table full of writers and the Final Deletion stuff however entertaining doesn't fit in within their vision. They tried to emulate it with the Wyatts vs New Day and it came across as hokey.

Bray vs Matt is something they should incorporate as part of WrestleMania like with Hot Rod and Goldust at Mania XII. Do some pre tapes and have them conclude the match at WrestleMania similar to the Hollywood Backyard Brawl. That's the only way I see it working or on a Halloween themed Raw where what they are doing would be really suited. In a weekly format I can't see it working and in Impact it was the main part of the show. In WWE it's almost an after thought. So it's best to build it via YouTube and social media. Soon as it hits TV it's very sink and swim, more than likely sink in this instance unless they let Matt and Bray be in full control. 

• Paid Members

If we’re being honest, the most interesting thing about the Broken Matt character being used on WWE television was always going to be how Vince would boil it down to one note that proves the entire concept has gone over his head. I just didn’t expect he’d manage to do it in less than two weeks. All the fun and daftness of the Broken gimmick, with all the silly directions you could take it in, and it’s already been boiled down to a stupid laugh and a weird over-produced, glass-breaking graphic. Incredible.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:59 AM, Van Dammer said:

Agree on Taker. Its amazing that he got away with mucking around with Bundy, Kama, IRS, Executioner etc for what felt like decades as a kid. Sure, he had some decent stuff chucked in there but it wasnt really until he started his Mania classics streak that I actually warmed to him. There's no way a character would get away with now what Takers did in the mid 90's.

youve seen what everyone else in WWF was getting into at that point?  besides  a few exceptions it was all shit

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

If we’re being honest, the most interesting thing about the Broken Matt character being used on WWE television was always going to be how Vince would boil it down to one note that proves the entire concept has gone over his head. I just didn’t expect he’d manage to do it in less than two weeks. All the fun and daftness of the Broken gimmick, with all the silly directions you could take it in, and it’s already been boiled down to a stupid laugh and a weird over-produced, glass-breaking graphic. Incredible.

Spot on, here. It's a similar complaint with Nakamura. The best he could manage is calling him "The Artist" (yuck) and for heels to go all "fwyd wice" (again, yuck).

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but the Hardy/Bray promo repeat made me think about how so much of WWE nowadays feels like they prepare the show presuming that most people aren't watching every week or paying much attention. It's a weird model. I mean, obviously repetition and catchphrases are a core part of wrestling, but the note-for-note rehashes are strange. Most television drama, and certainly most wrestling in the past, was predicated on making every episode must watch, for fear of missing something good. Now it feels like they tread water, hoping word will spread and people will get on board before they bother kicking into gear.

• Paid Members

The real disappointment about Woken Matt this week was that it felt like there was a genuine bit of buzz after last week's promo and they've managed to squander it almost immediately. It seemed to be all over social media, and was almost universally praised. He probably would've received a good pop if he'd done something in the ring this week. Maybe the lights go out and when they come back on he's in the ring grinning like a dickhead. It's unbelievable that they somehow managed to stumble so quickly and lose what little momentum they were starting to build. That's got to be some type of record. One fucking week.

• Paid Members
On 13/12/2017 at 12:59 PM, textonly said:

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but the Hardy/Bray promo repeat made me think about how so much of WWE nowadays feels like they prepare the show presuming that most people aren't watching every week or paying much attention. It's a weird model. I mean, obviously repetition and catchphrases are a core part of wrestling, but the note-for-note rehashes are strange. Most television drama, and certainly most wrestling in the past, was predicated on making every episode must watch, for fear of missing something good. Now it feels like they tread water, hoping word will spread and people will get on board before they bother kicking into gear.

spot on this ^

• Paid Members

It's become a tiresome complaint, but the three hours just kills the TV show. It seems like everybody involved knows it too, but we're stuck with it. So you get stuff lazily rehashed week after week, just to fill a segment on the show without progressing the stories too quickly. The result is that a typical midcard feud can easily rack up over an hour's worth of TV time before it is finally blown off, by which time nobody could possibly give a fuck, that's if they even had one to give to start with.

The Hardy stuff really encapsulates WWE's biggest sin of the Network era: That they essentially overproduce the draw out of their own would be stars. Lunacy.

It's like everything might just be fine if they took their hands off the wheel a bit. The matches are great and there's more than enough mental shit happening in a calendar year for you to tune in and get at least a few hours a month. They just need to chill the fuck out. 

• Paid Members

I’m all for WWE being progressive with the women, and I’m happy they’re presented in a more equal light to the guys. I’m sure a women’s Royal Rumble might be fun, too. Stephanie can fuck off though. The way everything is always geared towards her frigging herself off detracts massively from anything they try and achieve. That announcement was so awkward and forced. Begging for Yes chants. Jesus.

• Paid Members

I assume they haven't confirmed any specifics on numbers at this stage? Can't see there being 30 in there unless they bump up some of the MYC or NXT talent? I suppose they could throw in a few surprises too, although aside from a Lita or Trish I don't know who would potentially use.