The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

LEGIT it is a bit to do with you getting old. And not only are you getting old but as you get older you start thinking differently and what's maybe happened is years ago you were much more into the wrestling than you are now and you followed the crowd. Nowadays when you watch a big match you know the finisher wont finish the match, you know the submission move isn't gonna do it, it's gonna be a series of false finishes. You already know what's gonna happen before it happens and it has to have an impact on your enjoyment, especially when it happens all the time and it does happen all the time. It happened on Smackdown a few weeks ago with John Cena in his match and the crowd are in on it too. If any of you watch the live crowd or if you attend a live show, a house show or TV taping you will notice the live crowd knows the score too. They know not to stand up when a finishing move is performed because that's not the end of the match. It's only when there's been a series of false finishes that they know when to react and after the 4th or 5th move NOW it's nearly the end of the match.

There's a big difference in Ric Flair letting someone throw him off the top rope to make the other guy look good and he knows he can land safely and Shawn Michaels doing a moonsault or elbow which he has trained to do to perfection than someone climbing up there and doing something that could easily break their neck and cripple them for life. Same with the jumping through the middle rope, they all do it, looks relatively safe but all they have to do is clip their toe on the middle rope and that's it, it's party over.

I'm not saying when Ric's in the air something couldn't go wrong, his opponent helps him perform the flip. When Shawn Michaels done his elbow drop, he positioned the guy in the right spot for him to land. When he did the moonsault many times you would see his opponent move themselves into position, if they're not in position it's not just Shawn getting hurt, it's them too. A big big difference. Wrestling is meant to be a show. Now granted, the millennials now are into all the high spots so they will encourage it but it'll only take one time. One time on Raw or Smackdown someone will break their neck, once that's happened and their in their wheelchair the WWE will say ok, we'll go back to doing wrestling the way it was done for 40 years prior and focus on that rather than the high spot stuff and that will be the end of it. People are meant to be going to see wrestling to see a show, not every single match, and IT IS EVERY SINGLE match people jumping through ropes and climbing the top ropes and you see the women doing it too and these women aren't built for it. Look at Charlotte and Sasha, Bayley too. What are they 5 foot? 5 foot 5? Are they built well? No. They're even more at risk of hurting themselves. At least the men have a good bit of muscle on them to try and shield and bad falls, they're landing on their own bodies and they're not getting the same protection. Wrestling is meant to be a show. Two people with grudges that wanna fight, that's what people USED to watch wrestling for. They didn't go there to sit and watch people hurt themselves.

And that's all they're doing. Hurting themselves and for what? They're not getting a medal for it. No extra money for it. And some of you on here claim to be long term fans, can you tell me if in the last 10 years there's been more or less injuries on the roster than any other 10 year period in wrestling history? Even the last 5 years if you wanna narrow it down. I've never known so many wrestlers to get hurt and injured and when you look at what's going on, you find out every single injury, every one of them is self inflicted, either they hurt themselves doing a "stunt" or the other person in the match hurt them. Every time. Not once will you find a genuine accident. And it's always the younger wrestlers. They haven't been taught right and whoever is agenting the matches is wrong, Vince McMahon is wrong for allowing it. It's not professional wrestling. Call it something else. Don't call it wrestling because that's not what was on TV for 40 years prior. Never before have I seen so many wrestlers hurting each other. If you can't work safely then you shouldn't be doing it because the real wrestlers, the real LEGENDS knew how to do it.

They actually take time off for injuries now though instead of shrugging off concussions as 'just part of the job', so your logic is flawed. Just because we weren't told of their injuries or they were working through their pain doesn't mean they didn't happen. Furthermore, several of the legends you speak of are in constant pain, crippled or dead.

• Paid Members

I don't agree with scotswizard's POV, but he did allude to something I mentioned a few years ago on here that I do still believe, which is the "video game generation" thing. WWE has much less of it than the indies, but I do think that that's where the spot-monkey style has come from - all the rapid-fire high spots, head-drops, overly-complex holds, all come from, in my opinion, minds that are used to being gratified constantly by the spectacular, at their own pace, rather than slowly and incrementally at someone else's pace.

• Paid Members

It's the one recurring comment you here old hands saying on Podcasts or Shoots. They all need to slow down.

Top Rope stuff is fine IMO, Harley Race was doing it for fucks sake. But I do agree with the sentiment that if they slowed their pace it would mean more.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm a sucker for top rope stuff, always have been. As has been stated, it's not intrinsically peculiar to the spot-monkey style; you just have to point to Pat Patterson, Jimmy Snuka, the Rock N' Rolls, Fuji Yamada and The Dynamite Kid to show that's not true.

It's not just the spot style, either; the hardcore style on the indie scene has that problem too. Watching the original death-matches back over, the central thread was that nobody got hit with any weapons, spikes, explosions or whatnot repeatedly for the entire match; it was all focused around teasing the big spot, so that when a guy finally got hit by a barbed wire baseball bat or thrown on to tacks, that was the big climax and it was all over. Whereas the current hardcore scene is just idiots trying to outdo each other in attempted murder/Jackass pain stunts.

I liken it to the magic scene. Magicians aren't really magicians there actors playing the role of a magician.

With magicians it's not enough to know the mechanics of magic or how a trick is done the art is in the performance and the story telling. That's where the 'magic' happens.

• Paid Members

gone are the days where you would really find a technical wrestler

Yeah, I've been thinking about this for a while. You still have high flyers and brawlers around, strong style is becoming more prominent and the hybrid 'indy' style you mention is more or less the most common used in WWE these days. However, there is a distinct lack of technical wrestling in WWE these days.

Who are even the best technicians? Jack Gallagher and Chad Gable I suppose in their own ways, but there aren't many to choose from. They need Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb to spearhead a technical revival.

Edited by PunkStep