UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bit of a weird thought but me and my brother were on about the Sonnen-Shogun fight earlier, and my brother mentioned how it was kind of eery how Babalu was cornering Shogun last night, then Sonnen beats Shogun by guillotine. Shogun's first career loss was a submission via guillotine...almost 10 years ago exactly...to Babalu. Weird. I hadn't even made that connection.

Chael also lost his first match in the UFC to Babalu via a choke (though it was a triangle choke rather than a guillotine), I'm guessing that was part of the reason Shogun trained with Babalu for his fight, that and to work on his wrestling I assume. You know, I rewatched that IFC show in June after Babalu announced his retirement, its a great tournament. I've not watched it in a good few years but its well worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Add me to the Brian Stann fanclub he is doing a great job, I think he should be a permanant addition to the commentary team.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thought it was one of them cards that were full of great performances rather than great fights. McDonald, Brown, Faber, Sonnen & Johnson wereall outstanding.

Connors performance did him no harm, i actually thought he was just trying to showcase other skills in rounds 2 & 3, but showing that ability to adapt under adversity along with that first round performance was enough to convince me that the guy is legit. The guy had a main eventers entrance for fucks sake.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Conor's entrance was class. I love the bastard. Even my dad specifically asked me to record the fight when he saw me browsing MMAJunkie and saw he was fighting.

Speak of the devil, McGregor quote;

"It feels like a loss to me, to be honest. I wanted the finish. I felt the finish was there for me. I injured my knee midway through the second. I just can't get it out of my head. Looking back, I should have just pulled my knee from my leg and just hit him with it.

I'm here listening to this guy got of the night, and this guy got of the night, this guy got of the night. I want that. I don't come here for decisions. We are rewarded for finishes. That's what I'm looking for, I am a finisher. I planned on stealing the show and it didn't happen for me. It feels like I'm dealing with a loss at the moment.

I don't care what anyone in my weight class thinks. I know what I can do. I know what I do in the gym, day in and day out. People are saying I got the three rounds in. I don't give a shit about getting the three rounds in. I do 300 rounds a week. Stick me in 30 rounds out there.

I'm looking to get paid here. We get looked after when we finish. This promotion wants finishes and that's what I'm looking for. These custom made suits aren't cheap. This solid gold pocket watch, three people died making this watch. I need to put people away. I need those big fights or I'm gonna end up in debt pretty fast."

Ha, I love the pocket watch bit.

Dana still loves him;

"I love that he's that kind of a kid. I love that he's that kind of a fighter. That just shows you more and more the promise that this kid has. I love that attitude. He's pissed off he didn't finish. Some guys will sit up here and go, 'Eh, well, I won.' No. He's pissed at himself that he didn't finish. Are you kidding me?

Why am I promoting this kid? Why am I getting behind him? Because I love what he's about."

• Paid Members
I'm looking to get paid here. We get looked after when we finish. This promotion wants finishes and that's what I'm looking for. These custom made suits aren't cheap.

Brilliant. Two fights into his UFC career and he already gets it more than 90% of the roster. McGregor is the man. He's got absolutely everything going for him, with a total understanding of how the game works. He's a superstar waiting to happen.

Ratings are in;

UFC ratings from last night

1.3 rating

1.7 million viewers

The number is nothing short of remarkable for the first night of a new station in an umfaimilar spot on the dial, even beating out all four networks in the 18-49 demo and every key male demo.

A lot of people I know who were interested in the idea of watching MMA but never had the chance to since it was on ESPN managed to catch this show - and what a show it was.

Won't repeat previous points but I really thought the Pickett fight should have been stopped twice in the first. :sneaky:

After seeing how Michael McDonald performed at the weekend, is anyone else interested in seeing him go up against Faber? That would be an epic fight in my opinion.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Would be a great fight and makes so much sense to do.

• Paid Members

fuck yeh! lets see it.

No. 2 & No. 3 in the division, it makes sense. I know people weren't fussed on seeing another Faber title shot but the guy is just dominating anhone he fights, a win over another top 5 guy is what he needs to get that crack.

McDonald blew me away on the weekend, he was fucking brilliant. Everytime Brad Pickett threw anything he got punished.

Only problem is, Faber has mentioned hes willing to go back to 145 for certain fights, so the UFC may keep him in an 'attraction' kind role and use him like that?

On the subject of Connor McGregor, hopefully he can get a fight in before the end of the year (depending on the knee), how does everyone feel about a McGregor/Siler fight? That makes sense to me right now.

On the subject of Connor McGregor, hopefully he can get a fight in before the end of the year (depending on the knee), how does everyone feel about a McGregor/Siler fight? That makes sense to me right now.

I've seen it touted that he be matched with the winner of Poirier and Koch, which wouldn't disappoint me at all.

Yeh i love that too. Depends on how fast the UFC wanna go with. Poirier/Koch is a faster track to the top.

From the looks of things they've earmarked him for the top, and he clearly has the ability to mix with the top players. Putting him against either Poirier or Koch is a sure way of seeing if he has what it takes to move up and face someone like Cub Swanson, which is a fight I'd love to see.

• Paid Members

Ok hands up, who was the one who voted for Sonnen to win by submission after the fight had happened? After the fight on Sunday the vote was at 1.

Edit: Now, it's at 3. In fact all of them, who's voting after the fights haha?

Ok hands up, who was the one who voted for Sonnen to win by submission after the fight had happened? After the fight on Sunday the vote was at 1.

Edit: Now, it's at 3. In fact all of them, who's voting after the fights haha?

Mods can tell us that.

I am going to guess Wand, probably wants to save face for saying Sonnen had no chance of winning by submission.

Archived