UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I rewatched Barao vs McDonald a few weeks back and I think it's one of the better, almost forgotten fights this year.

Chael just said this on the conference call, when asked about him wanting to drop back to 185 after this Shogun fight;

I'm really chasing after two guys. I'm chasing after Vitor and Wanderlei. Wanderlei announced he was going back to 185. There wasn't a lot of motivation other than that.

When did Wandy say he was going back to middleweight?

Oh and Shogun said Ninja is running a gas station in Brazil now.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, and the way he looked against Tom Watson in BAMMA was rough to watch. Truthfully, he never had the talent of his brother but he was still exciting to watch in his younger days. I still love his fight with Mario Sperry in Pride. They have a younger brother, Marcos, and I've seen quotes from Ninja and Shogun saying they thought he had the potential to be better than both of them.

ruabrothers.jpg

Marcos 'Shaolin' Rua in the middle there.

I don't think he ever ended up turning pro though. I remember reading he was making his MMA debut a few years back but never heard how it went, or if it even ended up happening. Seems like his heart wasn't in it like his brothers and Shogun said he had other interests.

Just as well I suppose. You don't want to be half-arsing it in MMA. Plus Marcos Rua, Marco Ruas - could lead to some confusion on the Sherdog fighter database.

• Paid Members

Yeh, i'll always have time for the Rua brothers, Ninja never reached the heights of his younger bro but he was of the new breed of old school Brazilian Vale Tudo fighters (if that makes any sense) transitioning to modern MMA.

Back to this card, is it just me or is there a strange lack of hype surrounding the Overeem/Browne fight? I know the card's loaded but this fight is weirdly being overlooked. If Bigfoot Silva hadn't fucked em both up this fight could very well have been headlining a PPV around now.

Back to this card, is it just me or is there a strange lack of hype surrounding the Overeem/Browne fight? I know the card's loaded but this fight is weirdly being overlooked. If Bigfoot Silva hadn't fucked em both up this fight could very well have been headlining a PPV around now.

There is a stigma attached to Overeem, and Browne is pretty anonymous.

Overeem was built up and hyped, but there will always be a stigma with the PED's scandal, any momentum he had was ruined by getting knocked out by the lightly touted Big Foot.

Browne is just there, he maybe underrated as the Big Foot loss was due to a freak injury. It is hard to say how good Browne is, but he could pull a upset over the Reem. I hope not as Reem is quite likable and oozes star power, but if Big Foot can connect and knock Overeem for six, I am confident Browne can as well.

Hard fight to predict.

• Paid Members

It's a great fight. There's questions to be answered on both of them though. Can Browne cut it at the top level? And can Overeem still be a force without his magic syringes?

As much as I disagree with PEDs in MMA, I usually think people slightly overestimate their benefits a lot of the time. They definitely give guys an edge in strength and recovery etc but as far as winning fights in the cage, they can't do shit when a clean punch lands. Or deep in the third round when your cardio is ballsed and your new muscles start working against you. There's drawbacks as well as advantages.

So yeah, I usually don't put a huge amount of stock into how a fighter will do coming off the gear, but in Overeem's case, you get the feeling him using whatever he was using was as much a mental boost as a physical one. If you look at the Bigfoot fight for example, he should have had a big advantage in the striking there but what did he do? He came out and wrestled for two rounds, got tired then got absolutely twatted in the third. It's like when he lost his chemical friend he lost his bollocks along with it. Yeah he didn't look as physically ripped, which adds weight to the theory he was coming off something, but he would still have been a physical force if he'd pulled the trigger. He's still a huge bastard and you don't just forget how to strike when you've trained and competed at the level he has for so long, just because you're no longer able to hit the juice. It seems to me like a lot of his self confidence was wrapped up in his muscles and whatever he was using to maintain them. Look at his face just before the start of round three vs Bigfoot. He's like a deer in the headlights.

This fight is sink or swim for Overeem I think. Another loss here, especially a KO, and it's hard to see a road back to the top. For the money he's on, and the expectations everyone had when he was signed, you'd have to consider his UFC run a washout. He needs to look spectacular on Saturday. If he loses again I wouldn't be shocked if Zuffa cut their losses with him. Only thing that might stop them is they won't want Bellator getting him, so they might keep him around depending on his contract status.

I'm really not sure how this fight goes. Purely on skills alone, I'd have picked Overeem but I've lost all confidence in him. He's always seemed a bit of a mental flake and I'm not sure how he'll come back. And Browne's maybe the dark horse of the division. Heavy hands, quick for a heavyweight, trains at a great gym with Jon Jones, freakishly agile for a near 7 footer. He's got the tools to give Overeem another shocker. And Overeem never had that good a chin. That's what makes this such a good fight. It can go so many ways.

• Paid Members
They keep repeating that UFC The Story So Far documentary instead.

I tried to watch that, but once I saw Gareth A. Davies' fat head 2 mins in, I had to turn it off.

Its amazing how many mma fans dislike the fat mess?

• Paid Members
They keep repeating that UFC The Story So Far documentary instead.

I tried to watch that, but once I saw Gareth A. Davies' fat head 2 mins in, I had to turn it off.

Its amazing how many mma fans dislike the fat mess?

It's the hair, the waistcoat, and the arrogance.

• Paid Members

Ha, I suffered through him and it was an alright watch. I just had to bite down on something whenever GAD came on.

EDIT-

ReemWatch - promo pic for big Alistair before FS1;

Alistair-overeem-takes-photos-for-ufc-on-fs1.png

Bigger, smaller? Fatter, thinner? Softer, more ripped than vs Bigfoot? Does it matter? He's still a fucking monster.

• Paid Members

It's hard to tell but he's still substantially less ripped than he was against Brock. Just watch that vid on youtube of Arriany Celeste's reaction to get a true grasp of just how ripped Overeem was during the weigh in's.

• Paid Members

Definitely. I've seen people (who are obviously still in denial about Reem and his horse meat) say 'well he was getting tested before the Brock fight and he looked great that night so he can't be cheating.' Conveniently forgetting the big fuss before Overeem fought Brock. At one point there was talk that fight would be called off when Overeem kept jerking the commission around by taking ages to provide his piss sample. Then he lost it and it got delayed further. Then he turned up on fight night looking like a Hasbro. It was only after he got caught, fucked up the JDS fight twice, the suspension and now regular random testing where he suddenly didn't look so superhuman. Yet some people still defend him. Probably the same people who give Chael and Belfort shit for their TRT use, but they seemed to be OK with Overeem pumping himself up with all sorts. I never got that double standard. I don't agree with TRT but as of today it's legal in MMA providing you get a theraputic use exemption and meet the requirements for testing throughout camp etc. I'd rather it wasn't legal at all but that's the rules as of now. Sonnen, Belfort and Hendo aren't breaking the rules (although Chael and Vitor did in the past), Overeem was, yet there seems to be this defence of him from some fans. I don't get it.

• Paid Members

Bunch of shit to work through here.

Chael's poem to Shogun (well, more to Wanderlei really);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kshVNLlhwBU

Freddie Roach on Shogun;

"It's funny, when we first started working together [Rua] wasn't punching really hard because he didn't have his balance and his feet under him, and I told him he punched like a girl. The last day he said,

Archived