UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Really enjoyed the performances from McDonald and McGregor but unfortunately fell asleep and missed most of the card! I just cannot stay up that late any more. Does anyone know if it will be repeated at a reasonable hour on BT this week?

I can't check the Sky EPG now but the other day they had a repeat listed for tonight at 11pm on ESPN. Not sure when it's repeated on BT but I imagine it will be.

Ok hands up, who was the one who voted for Sonnen to win by submission after the fight had happened? After the fight on Sunday the vote was at 1.

Edit: Now, it's at 3. In fact all of them, who's voting after the fights haha?

Ha, I've said this before. It happened with the Belfort vs Bisping event. Most people were picking Bisping beforehand, Belfort only had about 4 or 5 votes right up to fight night. Suddenly the next day he had 10 votes or something.

I like the suggestion of the Poirier-Koch winner for McGregor. That's a logical next step up and I think either would be really exciting. McGregor vs Diego Brandao would be a hell of a fight as well.

Faber vs McDonald is the fight to make now I agree. Dana was saying the other day though, he's interested in doing Faber vs Edgar at 145. I'd love to see either. If they do Faber vs Edgar though, I can't think who McDonald would be left to fight. And he deserves a big fight after that showing.

EDIT -

I am going to guess Wand, probably wants to save face for saying Sonnen had no chance of winning by submission.

Trying to deflect attention from yourself there Jim? :laugh: Sadly, I couldn't because I'd already voted. Maybe next time I'll do a bit of hindsight voting like some of you sneaky sods.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Diego Brandao aint getting anywhere in that division until he sorts his cardio out, the guy is dying after a round.

Yeah his cardio is shocking. The thing is I bet he trains his arse off. He strikes me as one of those guys who can probably do it all in training and stays in good condition. But once a fight starts he goes mental. Flying knees, spinning shit, charging at opponents, swinging 100% power into every strike. No matter how hard you train your cardio or how good shape you're in, you can't not gas fighting like that.

Still, McGregor vs Brandao would be wild. I'd love to see it.

• Paid Members

In the media scrum Dana was in two minds about whether or not Overeem & Hall would be cut following the losses, Hall especially got a bit of a tongue lashing from the boss (from a purely fighting perspective). Personally, id like to see em both hang around but they could be gone.

Where do you stand on the matter?

• Paid Members
In the media scrum Dana was in two minds about whether or not Overeem & Hall would be cut following the losses, Hall especially got a bit of a tongue lashing from the boss (from a purely fighting perspective). Personally, id like to see em both hang around but they could be gone.

Cut Hall and give Overeem 1 more chance. At least Overeem has a name, for what it's still worth...

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'd say keep Overeem around for one more fight. If JDS loses to Cain again in October, maybe try one last time (third time lucky?) to put JDS vs Overeem together. Stick it on the Superbowl weekend PPV in Feb or something. They'll probably want to renegotiate Overeem's money though. He's on something like $300K base pay currently. And he was rumoured to have got a $1 million signing bonus back in 2011. They've spunked enough silly money on him.

Hall I'm not sure. He's probably not on great money so maybe give him one more shot to see if he can meet his potential.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind keeping Overeem around, but he'll surely have to renegotiate his contract. He can't expect main event money when he's a mid-card fighter.

As for Hall, I don't think he's worth the hassle. The guy is mentally right to be a fighter at that level.

Havent seen it mentioned in this thread yet, but the Fox Sports rip, which I watched, was annoying. A constant "newsbar" at the bottom of the screen for the entire show. Thats fine for the prelims and preshow, where they also added a sidebar of betting odds and bullet points for the fighters, but for the entire main card it was very annoying. I think Strikeforce may have done something similar in its dying days, but I cant remember it being that bad/distracting.

I have to admit to enjoying seeing Reem getting knocked on his arse like that. He was so flat footed and immobile I'm not surprised he got sparked out. A lot has to go to brown though, for weathering that initial beating, but you don't see many heavyweights throwing kicks like that about. It wa ssome good reffing not to stop the fight, when many other refs would have. Speaking of flat footed and immobile J-lau was shocking in his fight. Hall seems rather big headed and trying to hard to get a big knock out and trying to entertain, but he's not Anderson Silva, he really needs to try and just win fights. Sonnen surprised me with his win, but it was a well deserved win. It was a good show overall, I need to watch the prelims

• Paid Members

3.gif

Overeem asked for that the way he was plodding forward. To be fair to the big lummox, in his past two fights he's been absolutely putting a beatdown on his opponent and on both occasions the guy he's fighting has weathered it and come back, Overeem still looks awesome at times and them knees he was throwing into Browne's stomach were frightening. It all seems to come down to the mental thing for him again, after the Browne onslaught his body language just looked wrong, he looked discouraged and he invited that kick. Overeem is the world's biggest mental midget.

I'm not sure where i stand on Urijah Hall. The fight was by no means the worst fight ive ever seen, it was actually pretty decent but Dana lost his shit when he was asked about it, the over the top high fiving and shit...i kinda see what he's saying though and i think Hall needs one more chance to just get nasty out there, maybe Dana's worlds will give him a kick up the arse. I'm waiting to hear John Howard's responce to what Dana had to say because if you watch Ariel's post fight interview, Howard's under the impression that they are gonna get FOTN, guess he was in for a shock.

J-Lau just walked into the best Michael Johnson there's ever been. It's not good to see Lauzon seem so comfortable to just stand there and lose a striking battle, usually he's forcing shit to happen or going down swinging, but on this occasion he almost seemed to just allow Johnson to beat up on him.

• Paid Members

I asked this in the main MMA news thread before but I'll throw it out there again.

Are we best just using this thread as the UFC on FOX Sports 1 thread? Like a rolling thread similar to how the Bellator one works, for all the 'Fight Nights' on FS1?

Otherwise we're going to swamp On Topic pretty soon. In the next few weeks alone there's two FOX Sports 1 shows a week apart. It'll be taking the piss a bit having separate threads for every one won't it? Especially with the PPVs as well and the new TUF about to start.

So maybe one big 'Fight Night' thread, and separate threads for PPVs and TUF. Just an idea.

So maybe one big 'Fight Night' thread, and separate threads for PPVs and TUF. Just an idea.

I think that would work. I cannot see Condit vs Kampman and Shields vs Maia attracting thread worthy attention anyway. A separate Fight Night thread I think would be best.

Maybe individual threads for the major FOX shows.

Archived