UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For all the defense of Kampmann above, I have not been as confident in picking a UFC Main Event since Jones vs Sonnen.

Kampmann usually beats fighters after they make big mistakes striking or on the ground, or even gas out. Condit does not really make mistakes, his weakness is that he can be overwelmed with grappling/wrestling, which I doubt Kampmann can do.

I had Condit winning the first fight, he has improved since then. Condit is just too slick and consistent to fall prey to Kampmann, and Kampmann does possess the control to trouble Condit.

I have Condit wide on points, or by stoppage.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

To echo pryko's point on the last page, I'll miss this live as well. Got a nightshift Wednesday night. Fucking midweek UFCs. I'll have to watch it Thursday morning because my brother always ends up sending a spoilery text by the next night.

Still no picks for Kampmann. I was thinking, I've said a few times that ideally I'd like to see Nick Diaz fight the winner of Condit-Kampmann. But since no-one knows what's going on with Diaz, would Matt Brown be a good backup plan? Brown has earned a top guy and him vs either Condit or Kampmann would be an exciting fight. I wouldn't pick him to beat them, especially Condit, but there's no question he deserves this kind of step up based on his recent form.

Matt Brown will never be Champion, but he has greatly over-achieved the past year or so I think Brown vs Condit makes sense, from a sporting and entertainment standpoint its all good.

I like Condit in that one as well, but if Brown won it would not be the first time he has proved me wrong.

• Paid Members

i really wanna see Matt Brown take on a top 5 guy, really see how far the guy has come. He's been walking through good fighters and stopping them. I'd be down for Brown/Diaz or Brown fighting the winner of Condit/Kampmann, he's earned it.

• Paid Members

I keep forgetting this is tomorrow night. With the bank holiday I keep thinking it's Monday today.

Condit still wants to rematch Diaz;

"I'm going to get an opportunity to rematch a guy I lost to on Wednesday, and then I'm going to look forward to maybe avenging that loss and maybe getting another big fight.

When I fought Diaz, it was a controversial decision, and I said, 'I can see how some people think he won'. I'm not ego-tripping out here. I'm just out here trying to fight to the best of my ability, and if we don't finish the fight and it ends up in the judges' hands, it gets kind of weird sometimes."

Quite refreshing to see someone admit that a decision they won could've gone the other way. Usually you see fighters put the blinkers on after a close fight and they try to claim they won clearly. Condit vs Diaz 2 feels like a fight that needs to happen IMO, it would be a great fight and it's an argument that needs settling. The timing is good for it as well with both out of the title picture at the moment.

Diaz would still be my first choice to meet the winner of this fight tomorrow night. It just depends on whether Diaz decides to fight soon or not. They could always re-book Matt Brown vs Thiago Alves or Dan Hardy if he fights again.

I think they could even give Brown the loser of tomorrows fight. If Condit wins and gets tied up with Diaz then Kampmann/Brown would still be a good fight to make. It would be a chance for Kampmann to bounce back after a couple of loses or for Brown to beat a decent name fighter. I'm sure he'd rather face someone else who's on a streak but Kampmann would still be a step up on the guys he's faced, or just rebook that Alves fight like Wand mentioned, I'd like to see it.

• Paid Members
I think they could even give Brown the loser of tomorrows fight. If Condit wins and gets tied up with Diaz then Kampmann/Brown would still be a good fight to make. It would be a chance for Kampmann to bounce back after a couple of loses or for Brown to beat a decent name fighter. I'm sure he'd rather face someone else who's on a streak but Kampmann would still be a step up on the guys he's faced, or just rebook that Alves fight like Wand mentioned, I'd like to see it.

The only problem with doing Brown vs the loser of Condit-Kampmann is that you'd have a guy on a 6 fight win streak vs a guy coming off back to back losses. Either would be a great fight though and really, my suggestion of Alves isn't much better with Alves coming off a loss and a long spell of inactivity.

Weigh ins are done and dusted;

MAIN CARD - FOX SPORTS 1

Carlos Condit (170.5) vs. Martin Kampmann (170)

Donald Cerrone (156) vs. Rafael Dos Anjos (155.5)

Kelvin Gastelum (170) vs. Brian Melancon (170)

Court McGee (170) vs. Robert Whittaker (170.5)

Takeya Mizugaki (135.5) vs. Erik Perez (135.5)

Robert McDaniel (185) vs. Brad Tavares (186)

PRELIMINARY CARD - FOX SPORTS 2

Papy Abedi (184.5) vs. Dylan Andrews (185)

Justin Edwards (170) vs. Brandon Thatch (170)

Darren Elkins (145) vs. Hatsu Hioki (146)

James Head (170.5) vs. Jason High (171)

PRELIMINARY CARD - FACEBOOK

Ben Alloway (170) vs. Zak Cummings (170.5)

Roger Bowling (155) vs. Abel Trujillo (155)

• Paid Members

yeh, i'd have Brown ahead of Alves at this point. Thiago Alves is that inactive he can't really have any kind of standing in the rankings, he doesn't deserve a top 10 guy (Brown is no. 10 right now), would be good but Brown needs to get someone ranked above him.

Looking forward to tomorrow nights show, i like this midweek shit :) i happen to have Friday off to so Thursday night viewing with a couple of beers sounds lovely.

• Paid Members

Donald Cerrone is claiming he had no idea who Dos Anjos was when he was offered him as an opponent. I don't buy that. Sure he's not a big name but if you really don't know a guy who's fighting in your division, who's 8-2 in his last 10 fights and has fought on the same card as you before, well that probably says more about Cerrone's arrogance than it does Dos Anjos' lack of a name.

I'm a fan of Cerrone but will he ever learn? He came into the Nate Diaz fight coming off a great win streak in 2011, he seemed cocky in the run up and got absolutely battered. From there he vowed to come back better than ever and more focused, got back in the win column then got the big head in the build up for the Pettis fight. Accused Pettis of ducking him, faking injuries, being overrated, the lot. And that Pettis' flashy shit wouldn't work on him. Then Pettis came in and hit him with a cartwheel kick and a 'Showtime knee' before crushing him with body kicks in about 2 minutes.

Now he's dismissing Dos Anjos as some nobody. Cerrone might well win this, it's a pretty evenly matched fight on paper, but it seems like every time Cerrone is coming off a win or wins, he gets incredibly overconfident. I can't help feel like he's underestimating Dos Anjos a bit here.

• Paid Members

Speaking of Cerrone, he's weirdly relaxed at the weigh ins, Cowboys usually intense and is no nonsence, but he comes out smiling, takes his time, shakes Dos Anjos hand like 3 times and has the most unthreatening staredown ive ever seen.

There's of course the stories that Cowboys been seeing sports pychiatrists to get his head right for fighting so maybe his relaxed nature is all to do with that?

• Paid Members

I haven't seen the weigh in yet but that does sound out of character for Cerrone. Then again, he's also got a court date on the horizon in October for assault charges against him from a 'boat rage' incident in June. Who knows where his head is currently.

Since we were on about Matt Brown's next fight before, aside from Condit or Kampmann, how about Brown vs the winner of the upcoming Erick Silva vs Dong Hyun Kim fight? Brown vs Silva could be awesome. If Stun Gun wins, it would be a rematch of their 2008 fight which many thought Brown should have got the decision.

So yeah, I'd go;

Nick Diaz vs Condit-Kampmann winner

Matt Brown vs Stun Gun-Silva winner

• Paid Members

Look at that poll. Condit 16 - Kampmann 0 at the moment. Quite surprising considering how razor close their last fight was. I think Kampmann is suffering from that Keith Jardine syndrome a bit these days. He's a really skilled fighter but he's very inconsistent. One fight he'll look fantastic, the next he gets blitzed early doors. I guess thats part of the reason people don't have much faith picking him. I think this will be another pretty close fight tonight. I'm with the majority in favouring Condit but I don't think it'll be plain sailing. Usually if Kampmann gets through round one, it turns into a gruelling war. That's how I see this playing out. Can't wait.

Archived