UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Pierce is the betting favorite? that does surprise me.

weigh in results...

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)

Demian Maia (171) vs. Jake Shields (171)

Dong Hyun Kim (171) vs. Erick Silva (170)

Matt Hamill (205) vs. Thiago Silva (208)*

Joey Beltran (205) vs. Fabio Maldonado (204)

Rousimar Palhares (171) vs. Mike Pierce (171)

Raphael Assuncao (135) vs. T.J. Dillashaw (136)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 2, 5 p.m. ET)

Igor Araujo (171) vs. Ildemar Alcantara (171)

Yan Cabral (170) vs. David Mitchell (171)

Chris Cariaso (125) vs. Iliarde Santos (126)

Alan Patrick (155) vs. Garett Whiteley (156)

Palhares made it fine, Thiago Silva did not. The Silva/Hamill fight is now a 208lb catch weight.

• Paid Members

Wouldn't say that, everything outside of the Silva/Hamill (which was as bad a fight ive seen in a long time) and Shields/Maia (though that wasnt bad) was worth a look.

Kim/Silva was a wild, wild fight. Kim was on a fucking mission, marching forward like a high-speed Zombie, in round 2 he was getting battered, looked spent and it appeared the plan had backfired. Then he went back into zombie mode and stormed forward, it was crazy. If you go at Erick Silva with aggression you're gonna be met with aggression.

Silva is super exciting to watch, people are moaning that he needs to calm down which is true but his aggression and balls out style is what makes him what he is, he just needs to channel it a little more into a paced attack and he's gonna be a beast.

• Paid Members

Personally I thought Maia/Shields was utterly abysmal. For the whole 5 rounds I can't recall either one of them attempting a single submission. It was a disaster in my book.

As Ebb says, Kim/Silva was superb and Silva really was seconds away from finishing Kim. However, the KO was truly epic and I remember me screaming "FUCK!" having lost

• Paid Members

Yeah, Stun Gun vs Silva was great. I had it as FOTN myself. Assuncao vs Dillashaw was really good but I definitely thought Kim-Silva stole the show. I think Kim should've got the FOTN and KO bonuses personally.

Check out Joe Silva's reaction to the KO

iR769f3pzDuqP.gif

Maia vs Shields was what it was. From the second it was announced I think everyone pictured something like that. Not a fight I'll be rewatching anytime soon. There were spells where I was getting into the grappling but it just had the feeling that it wasn't ever going anywhere. There never seemed to be any even near hope of a submission, neither really attempted it and it just became a battle for position and control which was very technical but not interesting to watch because you knew it wasn't going to lead to a finish, or really anything.

Thiago Silva vs Matt Hamill was shit. Thiago was noticeably flabbier and slower. Whether he picked up an injury (would explain the missing weight) or he just really wasn't that arsed about this fight, who knows, but he didn't look good at all. Which is kind of weird to say after he won a one way traffic fight and battered Hamill for 15 minutes. Just a poor fight. It was like they were fighting in treacle. I think Hamill really should've stayed retired. I felt sorry for him towards the end with all the leg kicks.

Kim vs Silva, as said, was a cracker. What got into Kim? He was fucking possessed. Never seen him that aggressive before. I really like Erick Silva though. He's such an exciting fighter to watch. He either KOs guys quick or we get a crazy war. The fact guys like Fitch and Kim, not usually known for exciting fights, have both had barnburners with Silva just shows he's got something. He's great at forcing the action. I think slight tweaks in his game and he could be a contender. He's shown he can hang with top guys but he hasn't got over that hump. Be interesting to see who he fights next. Imagine Erick Silva vs Nick Diaz?

Kim is a top 170lber. When you look at his record, the only clear cut loss is to Condit. The Maia fight he had the shoulder injury, the Parisyan decision was changed due to Karo taking something he shouldn't have. He's a handful for anyone. He should get a big fight next. Maybe the Rory-Lawler winner.

Maldonado vs Beltran wasn't as good as I hoped/expected. Wasn't bad but was a bit of a letdown for me. I've seen some backlash at the decision but to be honest, I didn't think Beltran did a great deal other than cagehump and throw the odd shot. When they were exchanging he was winging and hitting air all night and even on the fence, it was Maldonado doing the damage with the body shots. Could've gone either way but I don't agree with people crying hometown decision.

Palhares - what a fucking plank. I love watching him fight but he deserved to be cut for that. A heel hook is one of the most dangerous submissions there is, and one of the most likely to cause lasting damage if held on too long. He could've ended Pierce's career in a few more seconds. Absolutely justified release. Especially because he's done this before. What a prat. He had a fresh start at 170, came out and breezed through one of the divisions toughest gatekeepers and gets himself sacked because he's a meathead idiot. I'm a fan but that was bullshit. He does this then tries to say it was an accident or he didn't know he tapped or whatever. He had to see the ref stepping in and Pierce was tapping more than Michael Flatley for fucks sake. He knew, he probably just thought he'd look cool on his highlights if he snapped Pierce's leg or something. Ridiculous.

Prelims were alright. Chris Cariaso vs Iliarde Santos was fun. And I really enjoyed Yan Cabral vs David Mitchell. I'd never seen Cabral before but his grappling is awesome to watch.

Decent card all in all but the last two fights sucked the life out of me.

Archived