UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weigh ins went down without a problem other than John Lineker coming in at 128lbs.

That's now 3 times in 5 fights he's missed weight, I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut if he loses tomorrow - no chance UFC will ever trust him with a titleshot.

By comparison, Rumble Johnson missed weight 3 times in 11 fights and then got cut.

• Paid Members

Got there late, so didn't manage to get in for the weigh ins or the Q&A...but didn't have time to sulk as Bisping and Connor McGreggor came out and gave me and my girlfriend free tickets, then I went on to meet Dana, Chael, Munoz, Machida, Rogan and pretty much everyone else as they came or went from the arena whilst the Q&A and weigh ins were ongoing. It ended up being a blessing in disguise not getting there on time. Well chuffed.

• Paid Members
Weigh ins went down without a problem other than John Lineker coming in at 128lbs.

That's now 3 times in 5 fights he's missed weight, I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut if he loses tomorrow - no chance UFC will ever trust him with a titleshot.

By comparison, Rumble Johnson missed weight 3 times in 11 fights and then got cut.

Man, what the fuck? Again? I'm a big fan of John Lineker. I think he's one of the most exciting fighters in the lighter weight classes. But he's doing himself no favours with this missing weight bollocks. It's too many times now. He'd probably have had a title shot at 125 by now if he'd made weight consistently.

Regardless of the result tomorrow, I think if the UFC do keep him around, they'll insist on him going up to 135. It's either that or nothing I think at this point, because it's obvious the cut to 125 isn't working for him. But yeah, a loss tomorrow could be curtains for him.

It turns out I could've went to this show if the baby wasn't due any day now. My brother is seeing a girl who lives in Manchester so he's there a lot these days. And he's got some free tickets. I can't do it though obviously.

I haven't talked much about this card but I'm actually looking forward to it quite a bit now. I find Machida vs Munoz a pretty intriguing fight, style-wise and in terms of what will be next for the winner. And Pearson vs Guillard should be early fireworks for however long it goes.

• Paid Members

Well, just got back after a fantastic day. Got to the venue about 12.45 and I'm glad I did. The queue became massive and we were told that the venue only held 800. We didn't manage to get free tickets but it seems as per Supremo's account you had a better chance if you missed out getting inside.

Since I cant make it tomorrow, I'm extremely thankful I got into the weigh ins and q and a. Personally, I wouldn't have traded the opportunity of not just seeing Chael onstage, but Chael onstage simultaneously with Bisping and McGregor for even a ringside seat for tomorrows event! Its was a fantastic q and a and overall a fantastic experience. I was tempted to ask Chael a question, but just spectated in the end. It really was a privilege to be inside..sorry Supremo. On top of that I shuck Jake Ellenbergers hand, and saw Matt Sera and Ray Lingo.

On top of that, I managed to shake the hands of McGregor and Bisping after the weigh ins and got lost the shuffle of machida and Munoz getting on the bus.

Due to the time the weigh ins finished, I wanted to hang around to let traffic die down. So to kill time I took MOMs advice and walked up to Crowns plaza to see who I could spot. There were some right freaks waiting in the lobby with piles of pictures of the fighters to sign and didn't want to get involved in that mess.

I just sat with my mate and waited till someone walked by. Eventually McGregor came down to the lobby with ex boxer Steve Collins. I shuck both their hands but didn't want to chat, I'm not really into all that crap where loads of fans wanted to chat as if they were best mates.

Then Gary Cook materialised shortly followed by Gustafson, Bisping, Stitch, Jon Anik, and Brad Pickett.

However, the evening took a downturn. I was sitting there just right as rain and then cunt sack himself appears in the lobby, Gareth fucking A(rsehole) Davies. He walzed around like he believed his own shit don't stink. He honestly just looked like an utter bellend. At one point I was tempted to walk over to Gary Cook to proclaim that I cancelled BT sport because of that twat.

Anyway, aside from that, a fantastic day where a got the impression these fighters really appreciate their fans.

• Paid Members
It really was a privilege to be inside..sorry Supremo.

Oh, I'm sure you can imagine my devastation when we were informed the venue had reached capacity. To be so close to the great man, only to be told, "no," was crushing. Definitely a bad decision not choosing a larger venue. They normally just do them in the same arena as the show, but Peter Gabriel was on tonight, hence the venue change. I'm still disappointed I missed it, but yeah, it seems like the tickets they normally give out after the weigh ins were instead given out to people who couldn't get in, so I can't really complain. Managing to shake Chael's hand and get a picture made up for it somewhat, too. I also managed to get a pic with Ray Longo. Seemed like a great guy. I didn't see Matt Serra at all and had no idea he was around. I mean, how much awesome can one building hold?!

And on the subject of awesome, how fucking great is Connor McGregor? A proper nice bloke, he seemed absolutely thrilled with the attention, wouldn't say no to anyone and had charisma by the truckload. Provided he keeps winning, he's going to be one of their biggest stars ever.

• Paid Members
It really was a privilege to be inside..sorry Supremo.

Oh, I'm sure you can imagine my devastation when we were informed the venue had reached capacity. To be so close to the great man, only to be told, "no," was crushing. Definitely a bad decision not choosing a larger venue. They normally just do them in the same arena as the show, but Peter Gabriel was on tonight, hence the venue change. I'm still disappointed I missed it, but yeah, it seems like the tickets they normally give out after the weigh ins were instead given out to people who couldn't get in, so I can't really complain. Managing to shake Chael's hand and get a picture made up for it somewhat, too. I also managed to get a pic with Ray Longo. Seemed like a great guy. I didn't see Matt Serra at all and had no idea he was around. I mean, how much awesome can one building hold?!

And on the subject of awesome, how fucking great is Connor McGregor? A proper nice bloke, he seemed absolutely thrilled with the attention, wouldn't say no to anyone and had charisma by the truckload. Provided he keeps winning, he's going to be one of their biggest stars ever.

First off apologies for any mistypes above. Typing on my tablet is a nightmare with its predictive text. Ray "lingo"??

Anyway, you're right. Hell, they should have held it in the Manchester central arena itself rather than the convention centre.

Since you missed out getting inside I'm chuffed for you that you got some tickets, and at least you shuck the great mans hand. Something I didn't even get to do despite getting the opportunity.

Yeah, McGregor truly is great. As I waited outside the convention centre the bouncer/communication guy was heavily ushering the fighters into the waiting car. However, I asked McGregor for a photo and as he came over the bouncer started to push him away to urge him on the bus. He stopped the guy in his tracks and told him that I was getting my picture no matter what.

He really is a down to earth guy who is just loving every minute of this ufc experience.

took an ambitious 4 fight result accumulator with paddy power John Lineker by KO, Alessio Sakara by KO, Pearson KO and Jimi Manuwa on Points all to win, was about 173/1 the odds got a free bet signing up with paddy power so lumped a fiver on it returns

• Paid Members

Haha, good spot dopper. I didn't know what you meant until I looked at the picture again.

That's great to hear about McGregor in lamby and Supremo's posts. My brother met him as well and said pretty much exactly the same. My brother's done way better than me with meeting fighters (he's met Bisping, Mark Coleman, Rogan, Buffer and Dan fucking Hendo!), and he said McGregor was the best. He met 'Ray Lingo' as well and said he was a top bloke. He also said he didn't see Serra. Probably down the road scoring some tagliatelle.

Fight week, blog week (behind the scenes of Jones vs Gustafsson);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&a...p;v=KQLTsOLR4QM

I got down to Manchester Central at like 4pm. Saw Bisping outside, and saw the 2nd coach full of fighters heading inside, including Machida and Pearson.

Hung around for a while hoping for free tickets, but nothing. Brendan Loughnane of TUF Smashes was hanging around outside too. Nobody said anything to him, must have been only me who recognised him haha

Archived