UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

there's no excuse really is there? before taking anything they should be cross-checking that it's acceptable to take. Surely it's not hard to contact whoever it i in charge and find out.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just caught up with Rothwell / JDS. Good to see JDS back to his best but man did Rothwell look terrible. From round 2 on he just stood in front of JDS with a still head and then plodded forward. The number of times he responded to a jab by ducking his head - surprised JDS didn't throw a few more uppercuts.

The Drew Dober and Islam Makhachev fight is off after Makhachev failed a drug test apparently.

This is getting silly now, with guys being pulled from cards for shopping at GNC, and now because they take something that isn't actually proven to enhance performance.

Not only that, but the substance was still legal as late as December 31st 2015, and more than a few athletes banned for taking it have actually appealed due to the fact that there's no evidence the tests taken today aren't showing traces of the drug taken from before it was banned.

Absolutely fucking mental.

The problem is, there's a chance that the drug testing procedure has went from too lax to too far. I mean, we're seeing guys being pulled from cards for taking things that aren't even proven to have any kind of performance enhancing qualities! Shit, some of this stuff (including what Makhachev has been popped for) hasn't even been tested properly to determine the results it causes!

I'm all for guys being banned if they're using stuff that is defined, tested and proven to be performance enhancing, but this is fucking ridiculous.

• Paid Members

This is the final card. Hopefully. Unless there's still more cancellations to come...

DOWwa.jpg

FOX MAIN CARD

Rashad Evans vs Glover Teixeira

Tecia Torres vs Rose Namajunas

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Darrell Horcher

Cub Swanson vs Hacran Dias

FOX PRELIMS

Beneil Dariush vs Michael Chiesa

Bethe Correia vs Raquel Pennington

Court McGee vs Santiago Ponzinibbio

Randy Brown vs Michael Graves

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

John Dodson vs Manny Gamburyan

Cezar Ferreira vs Oluwale Bamgbose

Omari Akhmedov vs Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos

Not bad but it's a shell of the card it was. Considering we were originally going to get...

Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Tony Ferguson

Shogun Rua vs Rashad Evans

Lyoto Machida vs Dan Henderson

Tecia Torres vs Rose Namajunas

The card's taken a big hit. Should be decent enough though. It'll be an earlier start time as well, won't it? The Big FOX shows usually are.

• Paid Members

Ha, I'm the same lately. Don't know where I am week to week with a these shows these days. Remember the Bravo days when you'd have one show then nothing for four or five weeks sometimes? Seems like a lifetime ago that.

I really hope Torres vs Namajunas 2 is good. Their first fight is still probably my favourite women's MMA fight ever. But Torres has been a bit dull since her stint on TUF. I'm hoping Rose's wacky spider monkey style will bring out the aggression in her.

Can't find the full Torres vs Namajunas first fight but here's a cool little video of it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=A6Ow7RauAh0

Fucking loved that fight.

• Paid Members

See if you're saying that tomorrow, KJ. I love Khabib myself but it's not like he's an exciting fighter to watch. I love his attitude and his Russian/broken English trash talking but what he actually does in the cage is probably the bit I find least entertaining about him. He's just so good at shutting down his opponent and smothering them with absolutely suffocating grappling that there's no edge of the seat feeling to his fights at all. As soon as he scores a takedown or really even gets a good grip around his opponent's legs or waist you think 'Right, that's it for five minutes. Score this one for Khabib 10-9, maybe 10-8'. The jury is out with all his time away but, if he's still at that level, it's going to take a fucking ninja to deal with that grappling game. Fucking Dos Anjos had no answer for it, for shit's sake!

It's not even his fault. It's like the Askren thing in a way, they're just doing their thing, it's up to the opponent to make it a struggle. Just can't see who that would be with Khabib. If RDA couldn't do shit against him, who can?

• Paid Members

The problem is, there's a chance that the drug testing procedure has went from too lax to too far. I mean, we're seeing guys being pulled from cards for taking things that aren't even proven to have any kind of performance enhancing qualities! Shit, some of this stuff (including what Makhachev has been popped for) hasn't even been tested properly to determine the results it causes!

I'm all for guys being banned if they're using stuff that is defined, tested and proven to be performance enhancing, but this is fucking ridiculous.

I agree, this meldonium situation is fucked, and its not just usada, as Wada are guilty of it, but I completely disagree they are going too far.

Let's say Machida never disclosed what he was talking, he would have failed the test on fight night.

This meldonium thing certainly is a problem, but there's absolutely nothing to suggest that usada or wada have taken things too far for anything else.

All they are doing is more regular testing. The substances on the banned list, outside of meldonium are the same as they were last year.

Makhachev is the first person as far as I'm aware in the ufc who's failed a test for Meldonium, and it's a bit fucking coincidental that a massive % of athletes who've tested positive are Russian.

To me, its fighters being idiots for not regularly checking what they are putting in their bodies that's the problem.

Sadly, I think it's time for Rashad's career to take that walk into the long night. He didn't look a shadow of a shadow of his former self. He was pressed and pressed, walked down, had no answer, and then his lights were turned out.

Wand's on my shitlist today. He overpromised and underdelivered on the Rose fight.

Darrell Horcher. God bless him.

Archived