UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

That was pleasing. Easily the best lovable JDS has looked since that last Velasquez massacre - JDS looked a lot quicker and sharper. After the first round he seemed to have complete control of the fight, with Rothwell seeming to have nothing as the fight went on. Chuffed to bits for JDS and hopefully he can build on this.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Very pleasantly surprised by that performance. This is an in-form Ben Rothwell he just schooled as well, a Rothwell coming off submitting Josh Barnett and probably one win off a title shot.

Like I said though, while this is great to see in the short term, it's going to put him in an even harder fight now and I'm still not convinced he's 'back'. Even though this fight was very encouraging.

Who do you put JDS in with next? I doubt he gets the winner of Werdum vs Miocic. I'm thinking the next title shot will go to either Cain (if he beats Browne) or Overeem (if he beats Arlovski). If Cain and Overeem both win their upcoming fights (and I think they most likely will), I guess whoever wins more impressively gets the shot.

So, JDS vs Hunt 2? JDS vs Nelson 2? JDS vs Black Beast? What do you go with?

• Paid Members

Yeah, didn't read the article but I just saw a headline on MMAJunkie that suggested Derrick Lewis wants to fight Nelson in July. That'd make a nice addition to UFC 200. Plus, it probably makes sense to get some more heavyweights onto that card for when Cain inevitably drops out again.

Didn't have the main as far split as the judges or others on here - Seemed a 1 or 2 rounds where close to me with Rothwell stealing them. But then I wasn't giving my full attention. JDS won comfortably otherwise though. The shiner in the 3rd fight BTW. FUCCCCKKK. Feeling the doc's fingers to tell how many he's holding up - Ouch. And the Beast vs Nelson is a fight I'm game for. 200 please.

• Paid Members

If Werdum loses to Stipe, I would do Werdum vs JDS 2.

Considering JDS has a win over both men I'd make him number one contender.

You can't put JDS above Overeem. Overeem put away JDS with ease in their last fight, and if you are using past performance logic, also holds a win over Werdum as well. 

JDS's win over Werdum was so long ago as well, and Werdum wasn't anywhere near the fighter he is today. 

As long as he beats Arlovski in Rotterdam, Overeem is the clear number 1 contender to me. 

I think JDS has to have one more fight before we are talking about him being back in the title scene. His recent batterings really are too hard to ignore.

The tricky thing is for JDS is, the options he has now are rematches. He's literally gone through nearly the entire top 10 of the heavyweight division. Really the only fight right now makes sense is a Mark Hunt rematch.  

• Paid Members

Overeem's got to be Werdum's next opponent if Velasquez isn't available, no? Overeem still captures something of the imagination, and this could easily be marketed as the rubber match.

• Paid Members

How nice it is to have a discussion about the heavyweight division where there are 3/4 top contenders knocking about. All are worthy of a title shot, but I suppose it's only fair for Velasquez to get it, if he wins his next fight. Be interesting to see what the UFC do because you can't trust Velasquez will be fit enough for a big title match. Suppose they can stick it as the co-main for the Rousey show or something and hope for the best.

JDS should only get the next shot if results go his way.

If Browne beats Cain and Arlovski beats Overeem, then JDS will be the prime contender for the next shot. If both Cain and Overeem win, then things become troublesome. In this event, it's possible that Cain will get the nod, and Overeem would rematch JDS for the number 1 contender spot (or perhaps the loser of Werdum vs Stipe)

Either way, things are very much up in the air. There are multiple routes the UFC could take. 

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'd love to see Hunt vs Overeem 2 at some point. 

• Paid Members

I think the safest bet is to have whoever is getting the title shot, let's say Cain, so you have Werdum/Miocic vs Cain for the title. Then to be safe I'd put Overeem on the undercard against someone so when Cain pulls out you've got Overeem, just as deserving a challenger as Cain, ready to step in.

I think they might go with Cain actually, if he beats Browne. As unreliable as he is to actually make it through camp in one piece these days, Werdum vs Cain 2 was the fight they wanted to do. So you have to assume Cain is seen as the top contender by the UFC brass right now. He was the daddy at heavyweight for long enough that he's probably only going to have to win one fight to get another shot. I actually think Overeem deserves it more though. I never thought I'd be saying that back in 2013 when his form was in the shitter, but he's done well to get back on track, to be fair. Prick that he is.

Like Bollocks says though, it's a good problem to have. I don't think JDS should be getting the next shot though. As much as I'm mega intrigued by the thought of a Werdum vs JDS rematch, I just think JDS still has a bit of rebuilding to do. Plus, Overeem and Cain deserve it more. You can argue 'well JDS beat Werdum and Miocic so he deserves a shot' but that can be countered with 'well Cain and Overeem beat JDS so they deserve it more'.

• Paid Members

JDS should only get the next shot if results go his way.

If Browne beats Cain and Arlovski beats Overeem, then JDS will be the prime contender for the next shot. If both Cain and Overeem win, then things become troublesome. In this event, it's possible that Cain will get the nod, and Overeem would rematch JDS for the number 1 contender spot (or perhaps the loser of Werdum vs Stipe)

They only fought a few months ago Jim, and JDS was beaten with ease. There's no way Overeem would agree to that rematch and it would be pointless getting rid of a viable number 1 contender.

Personally, I think this is what will happen.

UFC Rotterdam is 8th May, 2 months before UFC 200. UFC 198 is 14th May, again 2 months before UFC 200. These 2 events are lined up perfectly for a Werdum/Miocic winner facing an Overeem coming off a win. You then have that fight take place later in the Summer, folllowed by Cain fighting the winner providing he beats Browne. 

Archived