UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Mir just gets rolled out when they need a main event now, i don't really expect him to be coming in in great shape at this stage but that said he always has the ability to finish a fight, this fight being no different. I favour Hunt but i should really learn never to count out Frank Mir.

Mir via Wheel Kick.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Mir via Wheel Kick.

That better not happen now.

I think you're probably on the money Jim. I just have a habit of expecting the worst when my favourite fighters are in there. My heart says Hunt wins, my head is probably like 70/30 in favour of a Hunt win as well. But you never know. Mir's dangerous, early at least. All it could take is for Hunt to slip and Mir to get on top, and Hunt's in deep shit on the ground.

Balls to it. Hunt by KO.

• Paid Members

Mir via Wheel Kick.

Fucking hell. I do my best to hide that I'm drinking in the office after working hours, and now they're going to smell it all over my keyboard.

...and order has been restored to the world.

Seriously, though, great fight night. I think everyone likes Mark Hunt so much, and loves a walk off so much, that we're willing to ignore the fact that that stoppage, for anyone other than THE SAMOAN SUPERMAN, probably isn't getting stopped quite there. Mir still had at least one faculty left.

But, on the flip side, once you've been hit that hard, Hunts likely to just let you wobble to your feet and then do it again.

Neil Magny is a fucking warrior.

My favourite fight, even though I watched it on FF, was the Dan Kelly fight. Bloke didn't look a day over 47, looked soft (both physically and in his approach), timid, slow and like he was going to get eaten alive. It was borderline uncomfortable so I skipped FF, and the cunt won by beating the other fella senseless. Incredible.

Te Huna got his head removed too!

Great Fight Night.

What a brilliant event, probably my favourite of the year so far. Kelly vs Antonio Carlos and Magny vs Lombard had two amazing comebacks and were up there with the best fights I've seen this year. Jake Matthews looked great and even the women's fight was a decent scrap. 

Cherry on the cake was a Mark Hunt walk off sort of KO that was a perfect fairytale ending to a terrific show.

• Paid Members

Fucking love Mark Hunt. Loved seeing that smarmy pot-bellied twat flop down like a flaccid cock.

I've read Hunt's book this weekend as it happens. Highly recommend it. Really makes you understand why he's so tough and fat now when you read about his horrific childhood of brutal beatings and long spells of hunger. The stuff about his dad sexually abusing his sister is fucked up and hard to read. Some good insight into the behind the scenes dodginess in the Japanese fight scene as well, Pride in particular with the Yakuza stuff and death of the promotion. It gets a bit annoying in places with the God stuff (he really believes the devil popped round when his dad was dying, and a couple of other times) but on the whole it comes across as one of the more honest fighter autobiographies I've read, and I've read most of them. He admits to loads of faults in the book, in particular the trouble he had connecting to one of his sons who came to live with him as a teenager. For a guy who's not known for being very outspoken, he's more candid and open than you might expect here about his family, his gambling addiction and his various run ins with the law. I loved Hunt before I read the book but after finishing it I think I'm even more of a fan. Rocky hasn't got shit on Mark Hunt as far as 'underdog rising up from under shit to have success' stories go.

Just out of interest Wand, what other books would you recommend?

I found them so hit and miss that I pretty much gave up getting them ages ago. I'll pick up the Mark Hunt book, but what else is worth my time? Cheers!

• Paid Members

I've got loads. Been ages since I read them but from what I remember BJ Penn's and Jens Pulver's were both really good reads. Forrest Griffin's first book (Got Fight?) is good as well, but the second one was shit. Randy Couture's is also worth a read. But I think I enjoyed Hunt's the most. The fact he's been everywhere (UFC, Pride, K-1, DREAM) makes the book so interesting to me, and his outside the cage/ring content is just as engrossing.

Wasn't a big fan of Chuck Liddell's, despite being a fan. Just felt a bit knuckleheady, even for an MMA book. Found Tito's pretty crap. And Brock's could've been so much better.

I've had Ronda Rousey's still to read since Christmas. I wish Big Nog would do a book.

Archived