UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Weird move by Bisping. I figured a title shot was what he wanted next. However unlikely that is, you'd think he'd at least keep quiet while the ball is in the UFCs court following his win on Saturday.

• Paid Members

Bisping should know already that he can't do much of anything against Rockhold, seeing as Rockhold already battered him a year or so ago and has only improved since.

Still though, I'm not against Bisping challenging Rockhold again. I'd be pretty fucking sure of the result yeah, Bisping doesn't have much of a shot at all. But if he's earned the shot, he's earned the shot. You can't not give a guy a title shot because you think he has no chance. I agree with others who have said they have no interest in seeing him get battered again but it's not like he's Big Nog. He showed Saturday night he's still in great form.

But yeah, Bisping vs Diaz would be brilliant. I'd be all over that. If UFC 200 ended up with say, Lawler or RDA vs McGregor and Bisping vs Diaz...fucking hell! Shame Rousey won't be ready for 200 as well, her vs the Holm/Tate winner would put that PPV over the top with three killer fights. Imagine a PPV with McGregor, Rousey AND Diaz, all in big fights? Would be nuts.

• Paid Members

Bisping sits in that sort of position where he can make big money in showcase type fights. A title shot would make a great story given the road he's travelled but i don't think the actual fight would go his way and makes for a tough sell. Bisping/Diaz, Bisping/Belfort II, Bisping/Anderson II all sound good to me though and are all headline worthy in their own right.

Only just got back from an awesome weekend in London, I really enjoyed the show although I imagine on TV it might have come across a bit dull. The atmosphere in the main was amazing, it's a pity the broadcast never captured what it was truly like. As others have mentioned seeing the ring girl start her walk signalling we were to have a round 4 was probably the highlight of the night for me, Me and a total stranger sat next to me ended up half hugging each other, things sport can make you do.

I got to be honest I thought at the final bell Silva would win but that's more based on how these fights tend to go (Champions/Big Names always get the decisions) , I spent 25 minutes cheering on Bisping so really my view isn't valid. To say I was over the moon he got the nod is an understatement.

Few other  things;

-The co main blew live beyond relief, pretty much everyone was on there phone (some waving with the torch on)

-In fact the main card was quite dull, the prelims had some fun fights though

-The sole knockout of the show was awesome, there may have only been one but it was a memorable one.

-Teemu Packalén had a fairly strong support from Finland

-Me and my mate watched every fight, the arena was probably only about 15% full at first bell so not many can say the same. But in all honestly time flew, only during the main card did it feel like it was dragging a little.

I hope this is a start of a new era for UFC in the UK where they visit more often and put on big names. There was such a good vibe last week and it sounds like it was a hit on Fight Pass

• Paid Members
Bisping sits in that sort of position where he can make big money in showcase type fights. A title shot would make a great story given the road he's travelled but i don't think the actual fight would go his way and makes for a tough sell.

Agreed. I think it boils down to what Bisping's motivations are these days. From hearing his interviews he's still got his eyes on getting that title shot that's eluded him. I'm under no illusions that Rockhold or Weidman would make short work of him but on the flipside, it's hard to call him stupid for it if this is the culmination of 8 years or whatever it is in the UFC.

I'd like Bisping vs Diaz in Manchester. It'd be fucking crazy.

I'd travel from down south for that.

Also they supposedly did try get this card on the telly, but couldn't reach a deal.... What'd we make of that?

• Paid Members

Also they supposedly did try get this card on the telly, but couldn't reach a deal.... What'd we make of that?

Dana talks some shit* then because the way he described it in interviews before the event was that they cancelled the Bisping / Mousassi main event so that they could do something "big for Fight Pass". Come of think of it, I think I even saw an interview with Bisping where he says Dana told him the same thing.

*who knew ...

Dana talks some shit* then because the way he described it in interviews before the event was that they cancelled the Bisping / Mousassi main event so that they could do something "big for Fight Pass". Come of think of it, I think I even saw an interview with Bisping where he says Dana told him the same thing.

*who knew ...

To be fair it was the bloke who's now in charge of the outside of US and Canada stuff who claimed it at the presser. I've seen that interview with Bisping, it was the walkaround London with Helwani I think. Weird one though it made TV in a few odd euro countries and in Brazil.

In other Bisping news, he's on 5 Live on front of BBC webpage today  - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03l2fyn

• Paid Members

The Brisbane card's been finalised, and like I predicted, Pearson vs Trujillo is on Fight Pass.

LncUf.jpg

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD

Mark Hunt vs Frank Mir

Hector Lombard vs Neil Magny

Jake Matthews vs Johnny Case

Antonio Carlos Junior vs Dan Kelly

James Te Huna vs Steve Bosse

Bec Rawlings vs Seo Hee Ham

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Alan Jouban vs Brendan O'Reilly

Justin Scoggins vs Ben Nguyen

Richard Walsh vs Viscardi Andrade

Chad Laprise vs Alan Patrick

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Ross Pearson vs Abel Trujillo

Rin Nakai vs Leslie Smith

Dan Hooker vs Mark Eddiva

Quite like this card. Unless Mir wins. Then I'll hate it.

While Heavyweight MMA is usually a crapshoot, I favour Hunt to win.

In retrospect, Mir hasn't really impressed in years. He got mauled by Overeem for 3 rounds a few years ago, and looked terrible against Arlovski last time out (who had also been seriously overhyped going into the fight). Mir did beat Big Foot, but with the benefit of hindsight, I think it's safe to say that Big Foot was a shot fighter at the time . His win over Duffee resembled a King Of the Cage brawl. 

Hunt has some serious mileage on the clock as well, but I think he has enough left in the tank to deal with Mir. It's a decent style match-up for him. Mir is not that difficult to hit, and is not much of an offensive wrestler. At some stage, it's likely to turn into a brawl, and that greatly favours Hunt. 

Hunt by TKO

Archived