UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs Arlovski - May 8th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is tonight,right?

Pre-lims begin at 1700 on BTSports 2.

Just checked my BT Sports and it's not listed as showing then, any idea what time we get the show over here today?

Shows on mine, BTSport2, 19:00 to 22:30

As I said the prelims weren't on BT Sports 2 but I noticed they were on on one of the extra channels you get with the youview box, that air champions league games that most aren't interested in during the group stages, you have the two English teams and maybe a top team like Real, Bayern or Barca on the regular channels and the other games air on the extra channels.

Overeem just firmly put himself into title contention. Arlovski looked up for the job, he came out like a freight train in the opening moments. However, once Overeem landed clean, you knew it wasn't going to last much longer. 

Big Foot should really retire. He's lost 4 out of his last 5 by knockout in the first round. 

• Paid Members

Another impressive showing from Overeem. The Karate Kid kick finishing sequence was mad. For the division, it's the best result. While Arlovski was hardly poor, he seems to have been found out a bit against the better heavyweights.

Lovely man with a lovely beard, but Big Foot needs to find a safer way to get paid. My Gran has a better chin than him, these days. A shame because only a couple of years back he was going 5 rounds with Mark Hunt. He's still got name value so for the UFC he's great for feeding to other contenders.

I take it these extra channels aren't available to BT Sport viewers on Virgin?

I have no idea, maybe it's a red button thing with Virgin, when Sky Sports had the champions league my team Celtic wouldn't normally be on as they would be showing English games but that was a good few years back

Overeem looked good but Arlovski looked decent until the finish.

I hated Overeem-Werdum in Strike force but feel it could be a cracker, Werdums stand up has gotten so much better and even during that fight was winning some of the stand up but then would drop in his area trying to bate Overeem down.

Struve-Big Foot was too short to prove much, don't think you can say Struve is back just yet. I think Big Foot is finished though, I know he went over the limits but he's the only guy in the company who probably had a legit reason for taking TRT, he has that Andre the Giant thing were his body had been producing to much testosterone and then had the gland removed to save him from early death and now his body doesn't produce much testosterone.

Gunner looked great, just dominated in the ground until he eventually got the sub

• Paid Members

There's something very depressing about trying to see Bigfoot Silva still compete. 4 1st round KO's from 5 is not good and to see such a massive man appear to frail is just sad. He needs to be saved from himself. I feel similar about Struve but heavyweights have a strange habit of re-igniting their careers with wins like Struve's when the chips are down....i still don't fancy his chances going forwar.

Overeem was impressive and has earned a shot at the belt. The cautious Overeem is a dangerous guy to beat, it almost feels like he's running away when he's in the cage but he picks his shots well and he avoids damage. Arlovski's dream comeback is well and truly over, he still look good in defeat though, still 9 career KO defeats is not good by anyones standards.

• Paid Members

To follow on from what Egg Shen mentioned, Overeem moving and dodging shots whilst picking his own is a scary guy. He's without doubt the best striker in the division, so if that guy can avoid the big shots then I can't see him getting beat. 

The only doubt I have with him is still his chin. If he switches off and stops moving the big hitters stand a chance.

Nelson looked incredible and was noticeably in far better shape. He looked ripped compared to his past few fights so I think Maia beating him could be the best thing that's happened to him. If he continues this way he could rise up the rankings quite rapidly. 

• Paid Members

Overeem and his team deserve credit for the way they've managed to make adjustments so he rarely takes a dangerous shot. Even when Arlovski realised Overeem starts slow so rush him early, Overeem did a grand job covering up. Going by his last fight, JDS has also clearly worked hard on being as evasive and "efficient" as possible, rather than the wild man that took a couple of punches to get his in. For fighters safety and what not (booo) it's exactly the way clever and deadly strikers should be playing it in the heavyweight division. Overeem picking his moments more wisely is a monster.

Archived