Unexpected matches stealing the show at PPVs

Bluetonic

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Gail Kim/Taryn Terrell from Slammiversary back in June comes to mind first. No one saw that one coming.

Great call. This has to be the best example from 2013, if anyone can think of anything to top that I'll be impressed.

You could make a case for the No Mercy '99 ladder match between The Hardys and E&C. No one knew what to expect, and its placement on the card just made it seem like a filler match between four lowercard guys. Obviously now days, we know to expect something spectacular. However, i recall sitting down to watch this PPV back in t'day and thinking, "Ah, its those four goth guys who do flips. Shouldn't be too long". The fact that they were fighting for 'money' and Terri Runnels didn't really add much to my expectations either, and although i enjoyed their very brief encounter at Summerslam, i didn't think anything substantial would come out of this. The crowd was predictably dead at the start, which i'm using to assume that i wasn't the only one who felt this way.

Boy was i wrong. We all know how it turned out.

Chris Jericho vs Shelton Benjamin from Backlash '05 was superb too, came right out of no where. Just fifteen minutes of kickass sequences, reversals and M00vs. Probably one of my favorite openers ever.

• Paid Members
I think Big Show has become the master of having unexpected crackers on PPV.

That's one way of looking at it. Another would be to realise that for a few years now, Big Show's actually been really good and you should expect matches with the likes of Henry and Sheamus to deliver.

• Paid Members
Chris Jericho vs Shelton Benjamin from Backlash '05 was superb too, came right out of no where. Just fifteen minutes of kickass sequences, reversals and M00vs. Probably one of my favorite openers ever.

See, I expected that one to be good, because I thought they had great chemistry in their first meeting at Taboo Tuesday. I know admitting to thinking Shelton was ever any good around here is the equivalent of shitting in the washing machine for people thinking you're mad, but that first Intercontinental title reign was really good I thought, especially in matches with Jericho, Christian or both, and of course, his match with Shawn Michaels in the Gold Rush tournament. Then he had his poor run with Carlito and never returned to any kind of form, for me at least.

• Paid Members

Triple H vs Marc Mero from an In Your House in '96. Went in expecting nothing, ended up one of my favourite undercard matches that year. Mero puts in a great sympathetic babyface performance, convincingly selling the arm that HHH had spent the whole match working over, before fighting through it and picking up the win, helped in part by HHH's arrogance and need to taunt Sable. Just good old fashioned, simple storytelling.

Kevin Nash and Samoa Joe tore the house down on a TNA PPV in late 2008/early 2009 as well. I wasn't expecting much, because Joe had long run out of steam and was pretty shit by that point, but it was ace, mostly thanks to Big Kev pinballing around like a 7 foot Ric Flair.

• Paid Members

See, I expected that one to be good, because I thought they had great chemistry in their first meeting at Taboo Tuesday. I know admitting to thinking Shelton was ever any good around here is the equivalent of shitting in the washing machine for people thinking you're mad, but that first Intercontinental title reign was really good I thought, especially in matches with Jericho, Christian or both, and of course, his match with Shawn Michaels in the Gold Rush tournament. Then he had his poor run with Carlito and never returned to any kind of form, for me at least.

I hadn't watched a WWE PPV in a while at this point; i would check out occasional matches here and there but i was more concerned with spending my cash on furious amounts of indy wank. So when i happened across this (a friend lent it to me so i could check out the Benoit/Edge streetfight), i had no real faith or expectations for this match; my only experience of Shelton at this point were his spots at the previous months WrestleMania MITB and his tag team with Hass. And seeing as i was seventeen at the time, my mind was i constant "FUCK THE WWE!" mode, so i was pleasantly surprised by the action that Shelton and Jericho provided. And they did it without lighttubes or head drops.

• Paid Members

Just for fun, here's Scotty dying in the aforementioned Malenko match.

tumblr_m9foe8jBu51qfwxsco1_250.gif

I hadn't watched a WWE PPV in a while at this point; i would check out occasional matches here and there but i was more concerned with spending my cash on furious amounts of indy wank.

Ohhhh..... I remember you. You're the lad that thought Davey Richards no-selling a tornado DDT was perfectly acceptable.

I'm sure I remember a fucking great tag match between Haas and Benjamin against Mysterio and Kidman on a ppv at some point.

Vengence 2003. They had a pretty good rematch on SmackDown too.

I'm sure I remember a fucking great tag match between Haas and Benjamin against Mysterio and Kidman on a ppv at some point.

That was Vengeance 2003.

This match didn't steal the show but Trish vs Stephanie at No Way Out 2001 was far better than anyone thought it was gonna be.

Same for Raven vs Kane vs Big Show at WM 17.

• Paid Members
Same for Raven vs Kane vs Big Show at WM 17.

Almost literally stole the show. Raven lost control of his golf cart and ran over the main wires that were feeding the televised stream to the production truck. The footage jumps a bit when you watch it. If he'd have damaged the mains, the biggest show in history would have had to take place on Raw the next night in a Beware of the Dog-esque disaster.

• Paid Members
I hadn't watched a WWE PPV in a while at this point; i would check out occasional matches here and there but i was more concerned with spending my cash on furious amounts of indy wank.

Ohhhh..... I remember you. You're the lad that thought Davey Richards no-selling a tornado DDT was perfectly acceptable.

He rolled through, dammit! :laugh:

Undertaker vs Batista at WrestleMania for me, but for 2013 (not having seen the TNA womens match) it's the triple threat at Payback that's already been mentioned as well. I thought that card was crap, so stealing it wasn't a big deal, but the match was much more fun than I expected.

Archived