Unexpected matches stealing the show at PPVs

Bluetonic

Just rewatching the first ECW One Night Stand, and in my opinion Mike Awesome v Masato Tanaka is by far the best match on the card. I know they had countless good matches years before in Japan and ECW, but this was 2005, Awesome had been out of the spotlight for years by then, and I doubt many people knew how good Tanaka still was.

I doubt anybody going into the PPV anticipated the match would be so good, certainly not Joey Styles whose commentary was absolutely disgusting, but still couldn't take away from the match.

Now obviously in their primes Awesome and Tanaka were fantastic, so perhaps it wasn't too surprising they had a top match here, so can anyone think of some absolutely shockingly good matches from PPVs, from any company?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just rewatching the first ECW One Night Stand, and in my opinion Mike Awesome v Masato Tanaka is by far the best match on the card. I know they had countless good matches years before in Japan and ECW, but this was 2005, Awesome had been out of the spotlight for years by then, and I doubt many people knew how good Tanaka still was.

I doubt anybody going into the PPV anticipated the match would be so good, certainly not Joey Styles whose commentary was absolutely disgusting, but still couldn't take away from the match.

Now obviously in their primes Awesome and Tanaka were fantastic, so perhaps it wasn't too surprising they had a top match here, so can anyone think of some absolutely shockingly good matches from PPVs, from any company?

I loved Evan Bourne vs Matt Hardy at Cyber Sunday 2008. That one always stands out to me.

• Paid Members

Raven vs Ryhno from Backlash 2001. At the time Raven was really shite and was having rubbish matches with everyone, but this one night Rhyno managed to bring the best out of him. Really great match on an otherwise dull PPV.

• Paid Members

Dean Malenko vs Scotty Too Hotty from Backlash 2000 springs to mind. Tight, technical match with a jaw-dropping ending that people were talking about all week. OK, so at the end of the day it's still Rock taking the title back with Steve Austin's help that people remember best, but the Light Heavyweight title match outshone a lot of the bigger matches on the card.

Personally I didn't expect much from Sheamus vs Big Show at Hell In A Cell, because Show matches usually do nothing for me. But their match built expertly to a series of convincing and exciting nearfalls. Masterful.

I know they had countless good matches years before in Japan and ECW, but this was 2005, Awesome had been out of the spotlight for years by then, and I doubt many people knew how good Tanaka still was.

He's better now.

Now obviously in their primes Awesome and Tanaka were fantastic,

:laugh:

• Paid Members

Undertaker vs Batista at WrestleMania 23. Going into that PPV, there was no reason to think that match would be as good as it was, or that they'd gel as well as they did. Neither were really setting the world alight with match quality at that time and babyface matches are tough to pull off at the best of times. They went on to have cracking matches at Backlash, on Smackdown and at Survivor Series in the HIAC after as well. Batista had some top matches with the right opponents (Triple H, Cena, Michaels), but I don't think anyone saw him meshing with Undertaker to that degree. And Taker didn't have quite the rep for epic WrestleMania matches like he does now. I loved that match. Totally caught me by surprise because I didn't expect a great deal from it to be honest.

• Paid Members
Didn't that Backlash have a fun Shane McMahon vs. Big Show match? Or am I getting confused with another Shane McMahon match?

Backlash 2001 did indeed have an interference-riddled Shane v Show match where Test helped Shane jump on Show from a great height, yes.

Gail Kim/Taryn Terrell from Slammiversary back in June comes to mind first. No one saw that one coming.

Great call. This has to be the best example from 2013, if anyone can think of anything to top that I'll be impressed.

That was a cracker!

Don't think it tops it but as far as recent matches go the Pre-show tag title match at Money In The Bank must be worth a mention. I don't think anyone was expecting it to be as good as it was, also the way they managed to wake that crowd up deserves some credit.

Personally I didn't expect much from Sheamus vs Big Show at Hell In A Cell, because Show matches usually do nothing for me. But their match built expertly to a series of convincing and exciting nearfalls. Masterful.

I second this. I was pretty uninspired by the prospect of this match mainly because the Sheamus character doesn't interest me in the slightest but I was on the edge of my seat for the near fall exchanges by the end. I think Big Show has become the master of having unexpected crackers on PPV. His feud with Mark Henry last year featured a number of belting matches that outshone a lot of the more hyped matches as well as topping a lot of what the (and I hate this term) internet darlings such as Punk and Bryan were dishing up. And this is coming from someone who loves Punk and Bryan.

From this year, while not on the level of Kim vs Terrell, I really dug the IC title three-way from Payback. They got the crowd into the match nicely, you could buy any of them winning and the finish was one I'd personally never seen before, very inventive.

I don't remember which PPV it was but there was a John Cena vs Khali match, might have been a falls count anywhere, that was way better than it had any right to be. I remember thinking how Cena was so underrated atvthe time as a wrestler because it was early in Khali's career and no one had gotten anything close out of him to what Cena had. It just illustrates how tedious all the Cena criticism still is.

Didn't that Backlash have a fun Shane McMahon vs. Big Show match? Or am I getting confused with another Shane McMahon match?

Backlash 2001 did indeed have an interference-riddled Shane v Show match where Test helped Shane jump on Show from a great height, yes.

Yeah, see, fun!

Pretty sure the Khali vs. Cena match was One Night Stand or Extreme Rules or whatever it was. Mighth ave been the first one not be an ECW affair.

Dean Malenko vs Scotty Too Hotty from Backlash 2000 springs to mind. Tight, technical match with a jaw-dropping ending that people were talking about all week. OK, so at the end of the day it's still Rock taking the title back with Steve Austin's help that people remember best, but the Light Heavyweight title match outshone a lot of the bigger matches on the card.

I know they had countless good matches years before in Japan and ECW, but this was 2005, Awesome had been out of the spotlight for years by then, and I doubt many people knew how good Tanaka still was.

He's better now.

Now obviously in their primes Awesome and Tanaka were fantastic,

:laugh:

Malenko Vs Scotty was immense if you haven't seen it check it out

Archived