Unexpected matches stealing the show at PPVs

Bluetonic

• Paid Members

In no way shape or form can that match be classed as shit. Yes it was a nostagia match, as were many on that card,but I feel it reflected the feud thay had that spanned ECW and FMW really well.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, that was easily my favourite thing about it, JBLs reaction to it. I felt how that match played out completely backed up all his criticisms of the ECW style and actually found Awesome a bit embarrassing with his turning to the WWE guys with a 'yeah, look at me having an amazing match here, try and slate this' type attitude.

And it can be classed as shit, because it was shit.

• Paid Members
That Awesome - Tanaka match at ONS was total shit. Alright for nostalgia of their previous matches I guess, but it was stupid violent chair shots and stupid bumps for the sake of it. I absolutely hated it.

The two had a bitter feud which had spanned almost 15 years at that point; what did you expect them to do? Chain wrestle?

The violence was on par with their earlier matches and it didn't need to tell a complex story. The two guys hated each others guts and wanted to destroy each other. You don't need ring psychology to put across that point as their well-known history was enough context for it all.

• Paid Members
Yeah, that was easily my favourite thing about it, JBLs reaction to it. I felt how that match played out completely backed up all his criticisms of the ECW style and actually found Awesome a bit embarrassing with his turning to the WWE guys with a 'yeah, look at me having an amazing match here, try and slate this' type attitude.

And it can be classed as shit, because it was shit.

Of course it can. It was a bunch of chair shots, a couple of suicide dives and that was it. Crap.

HHH Vs Mankind in the cage at SummerSlam 97. This was built well, but on a show that also had Austin Vs Owen and Taker Vs Hart it could easily be fogotten about, but was a great match and a great fued ender. The whole PPV was pretty fucking good actually (if you forget about the prize draw bit).

I'm not saying it necessarily stole the show but I remember D'Lo Brown and Val Venis having a corker of a match opening Summerslam 98 for the European Title. There wasn't a great deal of back story going into it, but I remember really enjoying it.

I seem to recall Val nailing D'Lo with a particularly brutal back elbow for some reason.

Only because it got added to the card at the last minute but Rock vs Shamrock vs Mankind in the old blue bars at IYH Breakdown (?)

First sign of rocky getting cheers, usual big bumps from Mankind and Shamrock getting booed.

quality match

Any love for Rikishi vs Val Venus in the cage at Fully Loaded 2000? Thought that was a match that was miles better than it had any right to be, even with the screwy finish.

Any love for Rikishi vs Val Venus in the cage at Fully Loaded 2000? Thought that was a match that was miles better than it had any right to be, even with the screwy finish.

I would say this was a good match, better than expected maybe, but not a show stealer on a show that had Rock/Benoit and especially HHH/Jericho LMS on it. I even think Hardyz vs T&A was better than Rikishi/Venis although the latter one was certainly better than Undertaker squashing Kurt Angle....

• Paid Members

YES to Jericho/Raven. It was the best match of the show and Jericho really was on a great streak of performances and especially had become a master of reversing his opponent's big moves into the Liontamer, as he demonstrated in that finish. A shame that Bret Hart and Sting didn't have the match they could have had later on the show, both men firing all cylinders would have blown any match on the card - or possibly any card - out of the water, but wrong time, wrong place. Bret had left his heart in Montreal, as Uncle Eric put it.

Only because it got added to the card at the last minute but Rock vs Shamrock vs Mankind in the old blue bars at IYH Breakdown (?)

First sign of rocky getting cheers, usual big bumps from Mankind and Shamrock getting booed.

quality match

Sorry to be a pedant, but Rock was booked (and received) as a babyface in his match with Kane in front of an unbelievably raucous crowd on the September 14th Raw, then wrestled the definitively babyface "outnumbered by heels" performance in a battle royal taped later that night to air on that weekend's Shotgun, in which the crowd went absolutely spastic for him and his subsequent victory. I don't mean "sound sweetened for TV" spastic, you can actually see them going mental.

I wouldn't have bothered pointing it out, but I think anybody interested in the Rock babyface turn could do with watching those matches and the interview that preceded it with Rock talking trash about Taker and Kane which aired I believe on one of those Saturday episodes of Raw just after SummerSlam. I watched both matches numerous times after they aired over here on the Friday/Saturday respectively, because for some reason I was dead pleased that the American live crowds seem to have started liking Rock as much as I did. Stupid youthful exuberance.

Archived