UKFF Top 50 Favorite Television Dramas

LaGoosh

I'm up for this, but didn't we do this a couple of years ago? I distinctly recall making a Top 10 of tv series which will essentially be identical to this.

Incidentally, my criteria for this is: if I haven't at least watched the entire series the whole way through its entire run, I won't count it. Any series that runs out of steam after the first season or two then it's a victim of its own over-ambition. Really, really great series should be compelling from first to last note.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

When is the deadline? Didn't see one on the first post.

I downloaded all of Deadwood series 1 last night, so I'm wondering whether I can get through all episodes before submitting, as I'm sure it will be good enough for my top 10.

• Awards Moderator
So what was the deal with Lost? Were they dead all along or what, or was everything on the island legit and the Flash Sideways gig was when they were dead/in limbo?

Realised this is a honking great spoiler, so: Malbronk you should edit yours too.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

"Everything happened." <= a character deliberately had that line to handle that point. No purgatory.

The flash sideways was a meeting point for all of them in the afterlife. "A place they built together". As all the characters died they met up in the flash sideways continuum.

However, if you watch season 6 in the beginning it's clear as day that this wasn't the intention at the start of the season.

Stupidity aside I fricking love Lost. Will definitely place high in my list.

• Paid Members
Incidentally, my criteria for this is: if I haven't at least watched the entire series the whole way through its entire run, I won't count it. Any series that runs out of steam after the first season or two then it's a victim of its own over-ambition. Really, really great series should be compelling from first to last note.

I've nominated specific series/seasons rather than the whole run. Regardless of whether it runs out of steam later or gets better with age, you can still have a great drama. For example, ER (not one of my nominations but an example) went for 15 seasons. Not all of them were brilliant but someone might think one season in particular really stood out so you could nominate that season rather than the whole 15 years' worth.

• Paid Members
"Everything happened." <= a character deliberately had that line to handle that point. No purgatory.

The flash sideways was a meeting point for all of them in the afterlife. "A place they built together". As all the characters died they met up in the flash sideways continuum.

However, if you watch season 6 in the beginning it's clear as day that this wasn't the intention at the start of the season.

Stupidity aside I fricking love Lost. Will definitely place high in my list.

Thanks very much, boss! With you now. Must actually sit down and give it a go, as I've only previously watched the first two seasons and lost a bit of interest.

• Paid Members

I've nominated specific series/seasons rather than the whole run. Regardless of whether it runs out of steam later or gets better with age, you can still have a great drama. For example, ER (not one of my nominations but an example) went for 15 seasons. Not all of them were brilliant but someone might think one season in particular really stood out so you could nominate that season rather than the whole 15 years' worth.

What's your stance on this LaGooch? There's several shows I've only seen a season or two of and yet to get up to date but would still be nominations for me. Similarly, there's a season of a show i'd vote for as easily my favourite...but other seasons of that same show I wouldn't vote so highly. Would you (understandably) prefer shows to be voted as all-encompassing rather than separate seasons?

• Moderators

If this is the show you mentioned on Twitter last night that you picked two separate seasons for, then I think that's fine, as that particular show has self-contained, individually titled seasons that don't relate to each other. If people start nominating, say "Season 4 of Lost" and whatnot, then it's going to get confusing and silly.

• Paid Members
If this is the show you mentioned on Twitter last night that you picked two separate seasons for, then I think that's fine, as that particular show has self-contained, individually titled seasons that don't relate to each other. If people start nominating, say "Season 4 of Lost" and whatnot, then it's going to get confusing and silly.

Well, it was that show (American Horror Story/American Horror Story Asylum for anyone wondering) but it gets a bit more complicated and LaGoosh can decide how to handle it however...

I also nominated season 1 of both Criminal Minds and CSI as one nomination for the same reasons. Here's my reasoning:

7. Criminal Minds/CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (season 1 of both)

I've put these two together as an example of police/crime dramas. Both were quite ground-breaking [when they started] in their approach to the genre and combined complex characters with interesting production techniques such as going inside a wound to see the damage or having flashes into the mind of a unsub suspect. The first seasons were the best as you got to know the characters, everything was fresh and the running plots didn't overtake the 'turn your brain off' stories from episode to episode.

Both went downhill the more seasons they went through. Now I'm not really interested in watching the whole thing and tend to dip in and out if there's nothing else on.

• Paid Members

I hate Criminal Minds with a passion. Flying around on their jet playing chess, that young pillock, the boring girl who played Cathy in Friends, Greg from Dharma and Greg being devoid of any personality. My wife watches this, CSI, NCIS and NCIS:LA every single fucking day. I hate these American crime dramas. I suppose I should be grateful she watches these, rather than TOWIE, soaps, Celebrity Juice etc like most women do.

I'm taking a similar approach. Oz got silly towards the end, but I was still hooked enough to want to see what happened and for the overall body of work to stand up with my other favourites. Nip/Tuck, on the other hand, won't be getting a vote from me (despite it being one of my favourite things on TV initially) due to it completely jumping the shark after the 3rd season.

• Paid Members
I hate Criminal Minds with a passion. Flying around on their jet playing chess, that young pillock, the boring girl who played Cathy in Friends, Greg from Dharma and Greg being devoid of any personality. My wife watches this, CSI, NCIS and NCIS:LA every single fucking day. I hate these American crime dramas. I suppose I should be grateful she watches these, rather than TOWIE, soaps, Celebrity Juice etc like most women do.

I used to love Criminal Minds when it first started but it just got tired after the first season and now there are million other copycat shows the same. Multiple CSIs and Law & Orders, NCIS, Cold Case, etc. etc. Overdone and boring. But, as I said, when Criminal Minds and CSI started they were fresh and I liked watching them. Not so much now.

• Paid Members
Prisoner Cell Block H has recently been remade in Australia as "Wentworth". Problem is, all the characters, even Frankie are quite fit.

Surely they haven't got a fit Lizzie Birdsworth?

Original Lizzie

melbprisoner777.jpg

New Lizzie

Celia-Ireland-d277d.jpg

Now she's not Miss World, but you must admit there would be a difference between a blowie off the new one, and the gummy hummer of the original.

New Bea Smith

1321_profile1_sm.jpg

New Franky Doyle

nicole_da_silva_nicole_da_silva_30_CkdmTJn.sized.jpg

New Doreen

CLANTON-Shareena-2012-1-resized.jpg

I watched every single episode of Prisoner, so it will proudly in my top 10.

Archived