Raw discussion - 15/7

Devon Malcolm

To be honest I'm pretty sure if Bryan gets the belt then they'll let him have his moment in the sun. I know we're meant to believe that all this is about Cena having his legendary year but I don't really buy i. tI don't buy that the WWE sat down and said "we need to make Cena a legend, Daniel Bryan will give him a great match, let's book that." To me this is all about getting Bryan over. I'm not sure they'll pull the trigger on it at SummerSlam, because I half suspect that they'll ignore Bryan being so hot right now in favour of more build up for him, but whenver they do put the title on him (and they clearly will) I think they'll let thim have his moment in the sun.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Definitely echo the concerns about Erik Rowan being clueless. He is big and has a great beard that looks even better sticking out from under the mask, but he is so gangly and awkward that I too dread seeing him in a high profile match. Character-wise I think it's fine that he is a bit vacant and gormless and totally suits his mindless sheep persona, so him not having the mannerisms and quirks down like the other two might work in his favour, but his in-ring work really does stand out as not ready for TV.

Harper is better and seems to have more of an understanding of his character than Rowan. Little things like using his head to help shunt R-Truth out of the ring and the way he slumped over the ropes to look for Bray's approval after the initial beatdown. He also has a bit more intensity in his offense and doesn't look like he's having a fight against his own arms the whole time.

Completely disagree with TripleA's assessment of Bray Wyatt of course. His promos are skewed towards delivery over content but the nonsense in them and the erratic, indecipherable message behind them is perfect for his character. He's crazy guy who claims to be a destroyer of worlds but has a messiah complex at the same time. He doesn't know exactly what his own message is and frequently contradicts himself, but when a thought pops into his head he has 100% belief in it, so much so that his followers believe in it too. It all serves to make him unpredictable and dangerous, and all of that carries over to his in-ring work. His movement, the stuff he says, the laughter, occasional flashes of anger and violence, some parts where he seems to be taking sadistic pleasure in the beatdown and then other times where he seems to believe he's blessing/cleansing the person he's attacking. I think the finisher is fine too; it is a stock new guy finishing move, but the forehead kiss and the nice whip/impact he gets on it makes it work for me. It also allows him to do one last shift in intensity at the end of a match/beatdown. He's been using it in FCW and NXT too, so it's not as if he's been assigned generic finisher x now that he's called up. Finisher aside, I don't know how anyone could dislike the way he jumped R-Truth and absolutely battered him. I thought Rowan and Harper's lacklustre beatdown of Truth looked especially weak because Bray's was so wonderfully intense and violent.

Now that I've typed all that I realise that it's unlikely to make you change your mind but I am a bit (a lot) of a drooling fanboy for Bray Wyatt so I'll post it anyway.

I've got to agree with JLM. I've got such a hardon for Bray Wyatt.

He's supposed to talk nonsense. These working class cult leaders always attract simple folk, sold on their conviction and ability to sound cleverer then them. Often times, cult followers don't understand the message, but they have such belief in the leader that they are dragged along on the strength of their desire to WANT to understand and believe. It'd be far worst if Wyatt spoke perfect, easily accessible sense.

Like JLM, the minute they release a Wyatt shirt I'm in.

I like how Luke Harper acts normal, like he could and would question you logically as to why wouldn't you follow Wyatt. makes him creepier. dont mind Rowans awkwardness adds a to the erraticness of the group for me.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Harper sounds surprisingly rational and articulate. At first I was disappointed that he didn't have a southern drawl like Wyatt but I now think it's better that he doesn't. I thought he was great in those little mini-vignettes with the reporter leading up to their debut.

• Paid Members

I think you have to look at it from the views of someone who hasn't followed him through FCW and NXT though. I've seen the odd bits here and there, but he's pretty much new to me and a lot of people. So I can't base his character and his nuances on his NXT stuff, because to me and a lot of people it doesn't exist. Give it a few months and he might make more sense.

He won't make more sense. He's essentially an idiot. An idiot with a wide vocabulary and a deep charisma (like all those cult leaders who attract other simpletons and vulnerable people), but an idiot nonetheless.

Him saying he's the 'eater of worlds' doesn't actually mean anything, it just sounds profound to the untrained, willing-to-believe ear.

• Paid Members

As has been said, a quality episode of RAW. Like most on here I'm massively into Wyatt, and liked the word play on 'truth' after the beat down.

Also, this woman was positively dripping for Orton. He banging her?

nzr5dv.jpg

I want Bray to bring back his singing soon.

I absolutely loved when he sang a bit of Mother by Danzig, it's in this video about 50 seconds in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgjJKkpjXaY I did love his singing too and would love to see him return to randomly singing little segments of songs during his speeches.

Also the woman Orton leered at who was checking him out, I felt a little uneasy about as I thought it was the Mum of some kids at ringside who were there as a family with their Dad too, could have been wrong though. Was a very strange moment though!

• Paid Members

As bad a wrestler as Erick Rowan is, his presence really helps to make the Wyatt Family for me. The creepy sheep mask, the massive beard, the retard expression, his awkward, loose clobbering style and the fact that he's enormous make him perfect for the role he is in. Don't worry too much about his limitations, because WWE are well aware of them. He will be a henchman for as long as the Wyatt Family remain together as a group and that's about it. Inevitably he will be involved in matches, but I expect that they will work to limit his ring time on TV matches. With The Shield around, I think they ought to try to avoid booking the Wyatt Family in six man tag matches and focus on using Bray in singles competition.

Great show this week. Like a few people have noted, they actually filled three hours up with good stuff from top to bottom and the show felt like far less of a chore to sit through because of it. There is a lot to be excited about in the coming months.

• Paid Members
As has been said, a quality episode of RAW. Like most on here I'm massively into Wyatt, and liked the word play on 'truth' after the beat down.

Also, this woman was positively dripping for Orton. He banging her?

nzr5dv.jpg

I wonder if that's the kid he had to a different woman a few years ago.

• Paid Members
At first I was disappointed that he didn't have a southern drawl like Wyatt but I now think it's better that he doesn't.

Agreed, 100%. In my head now, he's a misfit New Yorker who caught wind of Wyatt's "teachings" and hitchhiked to Louisiana to follow him, working his way up to number 2. Makes the "cult" seem all the more viable, rather than Bray just going out and getting the two dumbest guys in his own town to live with him.

That said, I did like when all he said was "YEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAH!" whilst slamming people. They should give that trait to Rowan (who I was, and still am, disappointed to hear talk coherently in the original vignettes. At least one of them needs to be virtually non-functional).

Archived