Raw discussion - 15/7

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've watched a bit of it, not all, and it seemed pretty decent. I haven't watched for a while though. My main pervading thoughts were damn I'd forgotten how bad Cena's merchandise is, Maddox seems like a fun character, Fandango is still great, the commentary team get a lot more criticism than I think they deserve, a lot of wrestlers actually seem to have characters now which is nice, the crowd were good, I still don't like the lighting effect, they're actually going to need to do something with the Shield and the Wyatt's so that they don't seem the same and they could probably do with a couple of women (other than Stephanie) on the writing team.

And I know it gets said all the time but the presentation could really do with a shakeup. I'm certain that a good chunk of why some of the guys and storylines seem bland is more to do with the way the stuff's presented than anything else.

• Paid Members

Excellent episode. Nothing to complain about. Definitely worth a watch. The Punk, Heyman and Lesnar was insanely brilliant. You shouldn't miss that. A long back and forth on the mic followed by a cracking angle with Lesnar. I like how they established the dynamic of Lesnar being a dominant bloke who looks 10 foot tall compared to the scrappy normal looking bloke who has more heart. Lesnar was battering and battering and Punk was keep coming at him even though Lesnar looked to be unfazed by his attempts at a comeback. I loved that part of it. It was like those Andre vs. Savage matches, where Punk knows he's going into the fire going all guns blazing, but that's all he can do against such a force. Top stuff there.

And Bray Wyatt is just class isn't he? His aggression matches his promos. Talk about a wrestler who knows every aspect of the character. He looks how he should work and wrestlers how he talks. Everything about it links up. I'm looking forward to more of this act. I loved the entrance this week. The visual of the lights and phones shining in the dark is awesome. Erick Rowan might be the worst wrestler I've ever seen, but at least this week he got his masked head right up to the light when they made their entrance. That sheep head shining through the dark as they walked to the ring was so class.

2a77cdl.jpg

Scary blokes.

• Paid Members

Bray Wyatt was magnificent. To actually shut the 'What?' chants up on your first live promo is something special, when you think of it.

Thoroughly enjoyed the last two nights of WWE, although I'm not too sure where - or why - they're going with The Shield and The Henry gig.

On point as fucking ever with the Savage/Andre comparison of Punk/Lesnar. Absolutely storming segment.

The crowd raised it a notch too, as I think we all knew they would.

• Paid Members

Oh how I love thee Bray Wyatt. Ian has summed the segment up very nicely, particularly regarding the little touches like Rowan getting his amaznig mask right up next to the lamp for maximum creepiness. Such a fantastic entrance. Wyatt's promo was typically excellent, and I loved that he deliberately switched up the pace to smother the "What?" chant when he sensed that the crowd had picked up on his speech patterns. I've waxed lyrical before about how complete the whole act is but it was lovely to see it in full effect on the big stage. The promo, the mannerisms, the constant yelling and ad-libbing whether he's mic'd or not, and then a ring style that veers between methodical toying with the opponent and flurries of psychotic violence. It's all the same stuff that's great about Mark Henry and I really can't say enough good things about it. "Is this what you desire?!!?" The whole segment was electric, rounded off nicely by him hitting the most brutal looking Sister Abigail I've seen from him yet. I haven't bought pro wrestling merchandise for many many years but I want a Bray Wyatt t-shirt immediately.

The Punk/Heyman/Brock stuff was gold as well. Outstanding monologue from Heyman and a fine retort from Punk. Great start to Lesnar/Punk, with Punk positioned perfectly as a guy who is so utterly furious that he will die throwing himself at Lesnar if necessary despite Lesnar clearly dominating him in size/strength.

Mark Henry delivered the goods again too. I still don't think anyone else is as believable on the mic as he is. "I did tap out, and he'd tap out every single one of y'all too" was particularly great. He looked like such a fucking hero standing up to The Shield too. Loved it.

I enjoyed Jericho/RVD as well. I've always been a massive sucker for RVD's schtick and, having not watched any TNA, it's been long enough that it feels like a breath of fresh air even though I've seen it a million times. His matches are still disjointed and wonky in between his pretty high spots but I still love seeing said pretty high spots so he gets away with it. I've also missed his bumping, particularly off DDTs and the way he really looks like he's been through hell in the later stages of a match. Some fine near falls towards the end of this too.

I had a big grin on my face during the final segment too; with them explicitly pointing out that Bryan is getting the shot because he's the hottest thing in WWE right now. Lovely.

Very good episode I thought.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Cody/Sandow stuff which was strong as well, helped along by the crowd who were generally on good form throughout the show. It felt like they had enough first rate content for a full three hour show, which isn't often the case. The only thing that felt like outright filler was Brie Bella vs. Naomi, but even that served the purpose of promoting that Divas reality show and also giving the crowd a moment to cool down before the stacked closing stretch of the show with Heyman/Punk/Brock, Jericho/RVD and the Cena/Bryan segment.

• Paid Members

Oh, I forgot about RVD and Jericho. I liked that match. There was supposed to be a Barrett vs Daniel Bryan match which got cut because the Heyman/Punk interview ran really long, so instead of giving Bryan and Barrett the scraps, they cut it and gave RVD and Jericho more time. I think not having Bryan on all show helped the end of Raw a lot. The RVD match went 20 minutes and was all called in the ring. Apart from the odd cock up (which always used to happen a decade ago when these two wrestled) I thought it was great. People love RVD. They always have. That's when you know you are a star. When people look past your obvious flaws and still love you for it. Van Dam looks very motivated right now, which is good to see. I'd like to see him feud with Curtis Axl.

• Paid Members

Yeah, absolutely. He has this weird goofy charisma about him that I love as well, with the little shrugs and looks at the crowd. He knows what people like about him and he can make sure a crowd who's happy to see him will stay with him for the whole time he's out there. As long as he gets little or no mic time I'm a huge mark for him.

I thought that was a great episode of Raw, I really enjoyed it. WWE is looking really good at the minute, the RVD/Jericho match, Bray Wyatt, The Punk/Heyman/Brock angle, they were all brilliant. I liked the stuff with Dolph, Cody and Mark Henry as well. Summerslam should be a really good card, they've got quite a few hot acts at the moment. It's nice to see. There's a real feeling of freshness.

I know he's been incredibly over for a while now so it should be no suprise but it's such a great visual when everyone is YES'ing at the same time, he's such a popular babyface. Bryan vs Cena should be a potential Match of the Year, Bryan is the best in the world and Cena always rises to the occasion for the big show. I think Cena will win but I'm sure he'll put Bryan over huge.

• Paid Members

was the first RAW ive seen in about 5-6 weeks and coming off the back of a decent PPV i thought the show was very good, i dont think there was a bad match/segment on the show, hot crowd too.

i loved Cena's little swerve in announcing Bryan, he acknowleged the crowd then teased in going another direction before going back on himself...great, the crowd went fucking mental too.

good stuff, ima follow it all up until Summerslam.

• Paid Members

One of the better episodes of RAW I can remember. Everything felt really fresh and the three hours flew by.

I loved that The Shield bounced back after a month of treading water in the mid-card, but with Kane feuding with the (awesome) Wyatt Family, I assume the match involving Taker at Summerslam must be off, which is a shame. That would've been great.

Heyman and Punk were fantastic in their segment, brilliantly leading up to that tremendous reaction when Brock's music hit. The perfect use of all participants. On the mic, between Paul and Punk, this has the potential to be feud of the year. I think it'll lead to a really great match as well, with Punk being the ultimate plucky, sympathetic babyface going against a fucking mountain of a man by contrast. It genuinely looked like he was throwing a child around at one point. Brilliant.

Daniel Bryan's momentum is a something to behold. It's crazy to step back and look at how well he's done for himself. I'd love it if they thought, "fuck it," and decided to put the belt on him at Summerslam. I imagine it'll be a fantastic match too. Have they ever fought before? Also, out of interest, which of the Bellas is he and Cena fucking? I feel bad for whichever one is with the stick-thin Bella who competed last night. She looked ill as fuck. That Curtis Axel attack on Byran at Money In The Bank seems a bit out of place now though, doesn't it? What was the point of that if this was the direction they were going in? Surely it would have made much more sense for Axel to cost RVD the match, leading to their inevitable feud.

And speaking of RVD, he's still a bit sloppy, but boy is it good to have him back. He looks a hundred times more motivated than when I saw him in TNA and I loved his match with Y2J.

It may just be the Philly and New York crowds, but Ziggler seems to be catching in as a face. That Big E. clothesline looked like he got hit by a fucking train.

I'm digging Cody and Sandow too. It feels like there's loads of hot acts at the moment, with exciting matches already building well for the PPV. Everything seems to have a direction, with stories peaking nicely in time for the second biggest show of the year, which is a huge improvement on the last few SummerSlams.

So yeah, great show. I hope they keep this momentum up. Oh yeah; Wyatt Family entrance is creepy as fuck too. I love it.

Also, out of interest, which of the Bellas is he and Cena fucking? I feel bad for whichever one is with the stick-thin Bella who competed last night. She looked ill as fuck.

Bryan's fucking Brie (the 'stick thin one who looked ill as fuck') and Cena's doinking Nikki (the one with the tit implants)

Nikki is the better of the 2 (thought that even before the implants :laugh: )

Does Shield attacking Henry mean He is turning Face again?

Hope he doesn't.

• Paid Members
Does Shield attacking Henry mean He is turning Face again?

No. It means he's turned face. He's been one of the most popular characters on Raw for months. Now its official after they attacked him.

The Shield's stock has fallen massively. Henry and the Usos are doing to destroy them at SummerSlam. Like full on power moves and shit. They've went from beating up the Undertaker to being the pawn in Mark Henry's game of hilarious beatings. Can't wait.

I really enjoyed this Raw, it flew passed for me and there was hardly any filler. The site of a everyone in the crowd doing the Yes chants was awesome. I agree with Ian by keeping Daniel Bryan off the show it really worked and that lead to that great reaction.

The RVD v Jericho match was very good as it was given plenty of time to grow and we haven't seen it in ages. Unlike in TNA, his offence got a good reaction. I wonder how long that will last for.

Dolph was on top form and the crowd were behind him. I like that he is being kept away from the World Title as I like the idea of Ziggler going on a title chase and gaining momentum.

Plus Cody and Sandow should be a good feud. I think Cody will be pretty good as a face and he can ask his dad for some advice. I have liked Cody for some time even when he was doing the lame Dashing gimmick, he made it work. He is a good wrestler and a bit underrated IMO.

I am looking forward to summerslam and especially the Punk/Lesnar/Heyman feud for the same reasons as others have mentioned in this thread.

Archived