Dangerous dogs

Flatulent Dad

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no such thing as a bad dog,

I find this argument by dog owners to be ridiculously naive and reductionist. It is like saying 'there is no such thing as a bad human being'. Of course there are dogs with unpleasant personalities, just as there are with every animal. Condemning a whole breed is another thing altogether, but suggesting any bad behavior by any dog is just down to its owner is just as stupid.

Well perhaps, but as is the case with 'bad' human beings, they're very, very rarely just 'born bad'. Particular personalities develop based on what sort of boundaries are set by parents/owners and what sort of behaviours they're allowed to get away with. Kids who are cunts tend to have cunts for parents, and the same goes for 'bad' dogs and their shitty owners.

And in response to the OP, what a fucking wazzock.

There's no such thing as a bad dog,

I find this argument by dog owners to be ridiculously naive and reductionist. It is like saying 'there is no such thing as a bad human being'. Of course there are dogs with unpleasant personalities, just as there are with every animal. Condemning a whole breed is another thing altogether, but suggesting any bad behavior by any dog is just down to its owner is just as stupid.

Of course there are dogs with unpleasant personalities. But any owner worth their salt would keep the dog on a lead in public, and not let it get into a situation where it can attack. Whether you've got a 'good' or a 'bad' dog, it's up to you to control it appropriately. No matter how good a dog you've got, if you leave it in a room with a toddler, you're asking for trouble. Yet time and again, you see idiots on the telly saying they only left the room for a second and can't understand what happened. Any dog can attack if provoked, and any dog of any size could do plenty of damage to a child. The last young toddler near where my folks live to end up on the news after getting savaged to death by a dog was killed by a JACK RUSSELL. In the light of one incident, should they be banned? Again, dogs are simpler creatures than we are and the responsibility lies with the owner.

• Paid Members

Just my experience and probably nobody elses, but I always find Dalmations to be utter cunts. Nasty, nasty animals.

I had two bastard Alsations on both legs whilst I was cycling a few years ago. Both were smashing me from either side. I'm willing to bet that if they got me on the ground, I'd have been a dead man. Stuff of nightmares. Once some guy was kicking fuck out them to get them off me, they ran away and weren't seen again.

• Paid Members
Cactus420 (420? Really? Fuck off.)... could you clarify? Are you actually joking, or is this serious?

Are you serious that his username is Cactus420?

No matter how good a dog you've got, if you leave it in a room with a toddler, you're asking for trouble.

Aye, there's a lot of truth to that. I was reading some academic stuff on domesticated dogs and it transpires that not only do they consider humans more their kin than fellow dogs (so the presence of a second dog in the house only partially reduces the separation anxiety when the owner is absent) but also that they don't parse "small things that walk on two legs" as being the same as "taller things that walk on two legs". That's fairly dangerous in that a dog who would never hurt a fly (well, non-infant human) won't necessarily have the same familial feeling when on its own with a toddler.

• Paid Members
Cactus420 (420? Really? Fuck off.)... could you clarify? Are you actually joking, or is this serious?

Are you serious that his username is Cactus420?

Bah - wasn't looking closely enough, and the initial post obviously flipped my mind into "he's a twat" mode, which made me see 420 instead of 40.

• Paid Members

That's the thing, it's all about being a responsible owner. My sister never leaves the dog alone with her kids despite the dog being soft as anything. I've got a golden retriever and she's never shown even a hint of aggression and she's actually even more gentle with my nephews and nieces. But we're still not going to be stupid enough to leave her alone with the baby when he or she is born. Even if the risk seems small, why even take a risk with your kids?

• Moderators
How's your Staffy getting on, Chest?

Currently sulking. She has a muscle strain so lead walks only and no playing with toys.

To bring it back on topic, she is massively protective of my sister and my new nephews and adores them, but of course we wouldn't leave her alone with them.

Dog licenses, that's the answer. Everyone who wants a dog has to pass a test or course or something, same as people who want to drive a car. The scarier the dog they're after, the harder the test. Not all breeds are equal in terms of the damage they can do, and as mentioned by others, it's usually dickheads who plump for dogs that can tear a man apart with ease.

• Paid Members
Dog licenses, that's the answer. Everyone who wants a dog has to pass a test or course or something, same as people who want to drive a car. The scarier the dog they're after, the harder the test. Not all breeds are equal in terms of the damage they can do, and as mentioned by others, it's usually dickheads who plump for dogs that can tear a man apart with ease.

Nice idea, but you're not going to stop chavs getting hold of dogs if they want one. I totally agree with the principle though.

• Paid Members

Nice idea, but you're not going to stop chavs getting hold of dogs if they want one. I totally agree with the principle though.

Also, some people will always drive a dog without a license or insurance.

Reminds me of this:

http://www.ibras.dk/comedy/billy_connolly_....htm#parliament

I remember a fella had to have his Jack Russell put down because this girl on our street decided to pick him up and he bit a big chunk of her nose off. Personally I blame the girls parents for not training her properly. We had a massive white German Shepherd who used to pin down my brother when we'd wrestle but not actually hurt him, the dog had good work rate, would have worked well in a nazi gimmick as well.

• Paid Members

I think the phrasing of the first post has been criminally overlooked here. It's like poetry. I love the idea of this guy popping to the shops, seeing people with Staffies, and thinking "your bum is like a vagina and your dog is a cunt". What a life that must be.

Archived