Dangerous dogs

Flatulent Dad

That story's horrific with the pomeranian getting its head bit off.

Dog licenses, that's the answer. Everyone who wants a dog has to pass a test or course or something, same as people who want to drive a car. The scarier the dog they're after, the harder the test. Not all breeds are equal in terms of the damage they can do, and as mentioned by others, it's usually dickheads who plump for dogs that can tear a man apart with ease.

Nice idea, but you're not going to stop chavs getting hold of dogs if they want one. I totally agree with the principle though.

That's true, you can't even stop people getting hold of guns if they want one. But some regulation on dog-owning would at least reduce it by a good bit. It's not just wilful bad eggs who have dogs that savage other beings, a lot of standard, mostly-law-abiding Tyler-spawners have them as well out of pure ignorance rather than malice. Some laws (and campaigning) would go some way to dealing with those ones.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nationalise/publicly fund the RSPCA and make it in charge of all pets? Sounds mad when it's put like that, but there's no organisation with that much experience of that kind of stuff. Plus all their staff I've encountered are fucking troopers who really care about their work. Mind you, so are nurses, and they're not exactly institutionally valued.

...mostly-law-abiding Tyler-spawners...

Off Topic, but good arrows, would love to hear her feelings on Nile Ranger.

Back OT. Spent the evening in a pub (away darts match) with a note above the bar asking patrons not to feed the dogs. I was expecting a little lapdog, and instead was met by two bouncing huskies. The only danger I was in was either dropping a pork scratching, or fussing over one and being nudged by the other.

There are no dangerous dogs per se, just dangerous owners. Except (in my experience) Chihuahuas. They have massive complexes and are vicious around unprotected ankles.

Breeding has a small input yes, in that certain breeds are designed as hunting dogs. In the same vein that Ferraris are reckless because they are sports cars with huge engines and aerodynamics. This does not mean every Ferrari is going to bomb along at 160mph past little old ladies in Cortinas, just as every Doberman and Alsatian will not rip off limbs.

Not sure how clear this reads...They had Doom Bar on draught and I have a day off tomorrow, so it's all a little foggy

• Paid Members

You sir are a cunt, and a stupid one at that.

Would you kindly list all the breeds you would like banned? or is it just staffs you have a problem with? If so your off your rocker.

I would take my chance with an angry staff over a Cano corso, or presa canario both of which you can own without issues in this country.

Dogo_Canario.jpg

I myself own a a Dogue, and he is the nicest dog ive ever had. 10 stone of soft loving stupid fur. I also have a 4 year old son, not a single problem. Hooch walks off lead on the beach most weekends. Plays with all kinds of other dogs from "safe" dogs like terriers to "devil dogs" like rotties. He has never once attacked anything.

hooch1_zps3316f14b.jpg

In the early 90s they banned 4 breeds based on history.

Pit Bull Terrier

Japanese Tosa

Dogo Argentino

Fila Brasileiro

Out of those dogs the Dogo and the Fila where not even in the country and i think there where 1 or 2 tosas.

The question is at what point do you stop? How do you class what is a dangerous breed?

The best dog I ever had was a staff. Got her in pretty bad shape when I was a little kid from a shelter and we looked after her. The first time we took her to a park she ran off and killed a jack russel in front of a family... My Dad went back to the shelter and it turns out she had been a fighting dog before they rescued her and just didn't bother to mention it. After that she was kept on a lead in public except for when my dad would take her running at six in the morning. We ended up being able to train her to the point where she was perfectly safe around children and other dogs and even won some ribbons at dog shows. Pretty sure that proves its all about nurture rather than nature.

Ill always feel awful for the little kids that watched their jack russel get torn to bits...

Edit: and I just read the news story on the previous page. Fuck

• Paid Members
The best dog I ever had was a staff. Got her in pretty bad shape when I was a little kid from a shelter and we looked after her. The first time we took her to a park she ran off and killed a jack russel in front of a family... My Dad went back to the shelter and it turns out she had been a fighting dog before they rescued her and just didn't bother to mention it. After that she was kept on a lead in public except for when my dad would take her running at six in the morning. We ended up being able to train her to the point where she was perfectly safe around children and other dogs and even won some ribbons at dog shows. Pretty sure that proves its all about nurture rather than nature.

Ill always feel awful for the little kids that watched their jack russel get torn to bits...

Edit: and I just read the news story on the previous page. Fuck

Thats fucking awful. how long ago was that. Most ex fighting dogs are put down on the spot these days as the risks are to high.

Must have been about 95/96 so quite a while ago. All could have been avoided if the shelter had just told us before hand which is the worst part. Never had any incident other than when she once pissed on the carpet and she was perfect with me and my brother

My brother was savaged by our family Bull Mastiff when he was about 4 years old. Always a family dog, brought up properly etc etc. He was scarred for life, and we sold the dog on to another family, only to hear later that he'd attacked another child and was eventually put down.

Dogs are wild animals; I know we like to think they're all lovely and cuddly, and in some circumstances they are but many breeds have also been bred for hundreds of years to chase and kill small animals - it's in their nature. We should respect and understand that and take sensible precautions, like keeping them on a lead in public and not leaving them with small children.

You can't blame the dog, that's for sure. My cats are beautiful cuddly bundles of fluff, but also had a dead bird waiting for me every day last week when I got home. It's their nature. I drag around a piece of string for them to hunt and chase, just like dog owners throw a ball to fetch or give their dogs animal-shaped chewy toys. You can't expect them to understand the difference.

• Paid Members
My brother was savaged by our family Bull Mastiff when he was about 4 years old. Always a family dog, brought up properly etc etc. He was scarred for life, and we sold the dog on to another family, only to hear later that he'd attacked another child and was eventually put down.

Dogs are wild animals; I know we like to think they're all lovely and cuddly, and in some circumstances they are but many breeds have also been bred for hundreds of years to chase and kill small animals - it's in their nature. We should respect and understand that and take sensible precautions, like keeping them on a lead in public and not leaving them with small children.

You can't blame the dog, that's for sure. My cats are beautiful cuddly bundles of fluff, but also had a dead bird waiting for me every day last week when I got home. It's their nature. I drag around a piece of string for them to hunt and chase, just like dog owners throw a ball to fetch or give their dogs animal-shaped chewy toys. You can't expect them to understand the difference.

Ouch was he hurt badly? I guess it wasnt to bad as the dog wasnt put down.

Your quite right that all dogs had a job. From Mastiffs used to bait bulls and bears, to pitbulls for dog fighting down to jack russells for killing rats.

IMO it takes 100s of years of breeding to knock it out of them. Like reverse breed them, 200 years ago non agressive Pitbulls would be killed, while dog killing monsters where prized and used for stud.

Same with mastiffs, ones that refused to fight bulls/bears ect would be killed and the ones that fought well would be bred from.

Hence the list above.

Out of all of them the Fila is by far the worst, they will attack anything that isnt part of the family and being such huge dogs chances are your going to get badly mauled by one, two your probably dead.

• 3 months later...

Archived