Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I find it really weird that people are hand-wringing with concernĀ about the safety of throwing plastic bottles in the ring after a match that consisted entirely of two blokes smashing each other in the head with light tubes, getting thrown through panes of glass, and generally getting cut to ribbons.Ā 

44 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I find it really weird that people are hand-wringing with concernĀ about the safety of throwing plastic bottles in the ring after a match that consisted entirely of two blokes smashing each other in the head with light tubes, getting thrown through panes of glass, and generally getting cut to ribbons.Ā 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Thereā€™s a difference between something you expect and things you donā€™t. WouldĀ have expected with you being in the business to know he damage that difference can make to the simplest of thingsĀ 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

What about non deathmatch wrestlers, refs and ring announcers being accidentally hit? What if a throw misses wildly and catches someone in the crowd? What if it catches on elsewhere? I know some venues check bags for bottles, but plenty don't. I don't think it's an embarrassment to the business or whatever gassed-up Lou Reed said, but it's a pretty fucking dense thing to encourage or fail to condemn.Ā Ā 

37 minutes ago, Louch said:

Thereā€™s a difference between something you expect and things you donā€™t. WouldĀ have expected with you being in the business to know he damage that difference can make to the simplest of thingsĀ 

Pat was in the business? He never says...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

Again, I would see more of a difference had it not been a mad deathmatch beforehand - it's one thing being able to brace for a bodyslam or expecting a hit to the head, I think when you're getting thrown through sheets of glass, having lighttubes broken over you, and generally rolling around in broken glass, there are so many unpredictable elements and variables at playĀ anywayĀ that plastic bottles seem to be an odd place to me to draw thatĀ line. And, again, I haven't seen either of the wrestlers involved criticise it or say they were hurt or anything, so for now I'd say it's a bit of fuss over nothing.

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

What about non deathmatch wrestlers, refs and ring announcers being accidentally hit? What if a throw misses wildly and catches someone in the crowd? What if it catches on elsewhere?

Yeah, that's where I start to be concerned - especially around someone in the audience getting hit, because that's a messy legal situation waiting to happen, and promoters should be wanting to nip that in the bud rather than encourage it.

For now, no one got hurt and it's a one-off moment from a bit of a perfect storm of the heat that Matt Cardona gets in GCW and the love they have for Nick Gage. I would worry about it being replicated elsewhereĀ becauseĀ GCW have lent so much into it, trying to merchandise it, make it go viral, etc. If other GCW audiences try and repeat the same thing the next time Cardona shows up, or if fans elsewhere try and replicate it in the hope of being viral, then it's absolutely a problem and only a matter of time before people get hurt.Ā 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It was aluminium bottles and pizza cutters. And thatā€™s just what you could make out from the video. But as others have said, the match was planned. You know whatā€™s going to happen, what happened after wasnā€™t.Ā 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But as others have said, the match was planned. You know whatā€™s going to happen, what happened after wasnā€™t.Ā 

That's fair enough, and I'm revising my opinion on it more as we speak - you can micromanage every aspect of a match, and not account for what the audience are going to do. Them throwing stuff is effectively allowing a few hundred untrained, unprepared people all become a variable to whatever you had planned, and nobody wants that.

Though watching the match, I was far more concerned with the extent they let the crowd absolutely mug Cardona on the way to his ring, just absolutely surrounding him and mobbing him. If someone wanted to do some real damage to him, there was more of an opening there than at the end of the match. The whole thing was a bit wild west.

Edited by BomberPat

2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

. If someone wanted to do some real damage to him, there was more of an opening there than at the end of the match.

Thereā€™s also the matter of factoring in how wrestling fans are a bunch of massive fannies and wouldnā€™t do anything on their own face to face. Theyā€™d shit their pants. Theyā€™d only do something collectively from behind the barrier.Ā 

• Paid Members

The more I think about it, the more fucked the whole thing is, because it's just allowing too many potential variables to fuck things up and potentially hurt people. I think the only reason I was nonplussed by it all was because no one got hurt, but that's as likely pure luck as anything else.

But the nature of the match is such that I don't think the "everything in the match was planned" aspect of things is the same as in a normal wrestling match; any time you introduce "weapons" and inanimate objects, you can't really predict how they're going to break, fall over, or otherwise, and there's so much more risk because of that unpredictability. You can plan as much as you like, but if the pane of glass breaks differently to how you'd planned, or one of the chairs you're resting it on just gives way or is knocked over at the wrong time, it could fuck everything. There's already too many variables at playĀ beforeĀ the audience getting involved is concerned, really.Ā 

Isn't there also a matter of consent?Ā I know the two wrestlersĀ involved haven't complained, but they consented (well, presumably) toĀ the glass, light tubes, chairs and whatever. They didn't consent to the crowd chucking whatever they had at hand at them.Ā 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It was aluminium bottles and pizza cutters. And thatā€™s just what you could make out from the video.

Absolutely this.

I can't fathom how even wrestling fans would consider that to be appropriate behaviour. What the fuck is wrong with people?

It was idiotic enough when wrestling was trying to be seen as a shoot, now everyone knows that the characters are asĀ real as Eastenders then its even worse! No better than those morons that accost soap stars in the street for something their character's done.

Edited by garynysmon